Smoked Trout - Take TWO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Trout - Take TWO!

Okay, tried this again because the results of the last batch were such kick ass!

Me and my two oldest girls hit the lake yesterday morning, limited out, and kept five this time for the smoke house.

Used basically the same process of a dash of soy and sprinkle of brown sugar per deboned, skin on fillet. Then submerged in a kosher salt brine of 1/8th cup salt per cup of water. Brined the fillets for 6 hours, rinsed, then let set in the fridge uncovered overnight for the pellicle to form. I changed up the smoke process a little, but found no notable difference from the last time.

"dried" by smoking at 86* for one hour, kicked it up to 150* using oak and maple for one hour, then up to 180* for the last hour. Taste was great! I'm saving out three which are vacuumed and in the fridge to see if a short rest will change or improve anything.

Brining with some crushed garlic

Rinsed and sprinkled with some garlic chipotle salt.

In the smoker - a GREAT BIG to CA for the paper clip hanger idea - works like a charm!!

Final shots

All I need now is a 15# salmon... these little fockers are tasty... but a big PITA!!

Thanks for checking out my post.
    Tracey

Again... you kill me... they just looks so faken tasteeeeeeey! Damn Tracey!!! whamo outta the park!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

PITA..but beautiful! Tracey, try some cure on a couple fillets for a little twist. Not really needed with what you use, but it DOES have a subtle- err...flavor. I use some on my salmon just for that.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks delish, you rockin the house!
        I was just in Sam's club, they have wild sockeye for $8.95lb again. Now that the smoker has cooled off!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Walle, they look great. For me, trout have always been funner to catch than to eat. You my friend, have a better way to eat trout.

Now, if you're up for something good and being in CO, go catch some Whitefish and smoke them up. It's basically what got me interesting in smoking in the first place.

P.S. best place I know to catch them is in the Roaring Fork. I know, it's a drive for both of us but what many consider a trash fish, well, they can go on the smoker and the day is saved. I've never fished as far West as you guys are in CO. Just kind of kept going and hit the Green River but farther north.
          Pete
          Large BGE
          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Sure do look good, Tracey! I know the last batch was great so if this one is better, I'm giving you some .
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nicely done Tracey. Don't know how I missed this post the first go around. Glad you mentioned it in your ABT thread.
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

Kelly - good to hear from ya, lady!!

Keith - thanks for the points!

CA - thanks for the paperclip idea!

The ABT's were really good - with the smoked fish, they had that smoky inside out thing going on. Good spicy Jap with the flavorful crisp of the pancetta, then POW

Thanks for the salmon tip, Mark.

Rich - yeah, I suppose I need to look into the cure. The link you posted is all over that. I bought me a gram scale, just need to get some #1 from Keith outta the stock pile.

I hope you all give this a try - pretty simple all in all and tasty.

Comment

Fine looking smoked trout Tracey..... Damn Nice
                  sigpic

Comment

Excellent.
                    SCOTT

Comment

Could be a professional smokehouse shot

They do look seriously tasty :-)

The abt idea is pretty neat too

Amazing how much those little hooks will hold.
                      If you ever make biltong - use the plastic coated clips, that way the vinegar doesn't react with the metal :-)

pretty sure gunny uses paperclip hooks when he's doing a big batch of jerky.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                      X