OOOPS , over ripe peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOOPS , over ripe peppers

Need some help , I messed up waiting for a bunch of Jalapenos to turn red . I've got maybe 10 on our one plant that are getting a little soft.
    Do I toss them in the compost or how can we use them
    Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Heck I can leave my red ones in a bushel basket for a month when it is cooled off and they stay pretty nice. How much rain or drought have you had?
    You can still just freeze them whole if ya want...................wash and dry first. Or dice them up and place on a sheet pan and into the freezer till froze and then just bag em up for chili fixins or whatever.

Comment

Jelly!!
      Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

Too late to dehydrate em

Been some cool Jalapeno/hab/chipotle salts being made recently
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ganny76 View Post
          Jelly!!

10-4... I will be making some of my pepper jelly this coming weekend..
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Put 'em on skewers & smoke 'em a little & turn up the heat & roast 'em until they dry out & become almost brittle. Then, grind 'em into a powder & you will have chipotle powder to last all year long.
            MES 30"
            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
            Weber 22" kettle
            E-Z-Que rotisserie
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Big Weber Gasser
            Cracker Smoker
            UDS

Comment

Good to see ya 1894! I'll let the pepperheads help ya, just wanted to say HI! :{)
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'm not an expert, 1894, but if they are a little soft and wrinkly, they are fine, actually GREAT, for smoking and drying... and it sounds like jelly! On the anaheims, I've let them go until they almost look like leather and they are fine.

Comment

The better half liked the sound of jelly
                  Picking up some pectin <sp?> tonite.

I think we will have an assortment to be smoking , drying , chopping , freezing , had a good year for peppers this year , Jalops were not getting good light for pics , but the chiles , pablanos , and serronos showed up prettu well.

Not quite a
                  mexican Christmas tree
                  , but not bad for upstate NY and a couple plastic tote bins

Last edited by 1894; 08-30-2011, 12:03 PM.
                  Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

peppers look great, nice job
                    sigpic

Comment

Just make sure a soft spot hasnt led to mold on inside of pepper...I let my japs for chipotles ripen weeks on plant once turn redish...

They will be heavily corked and softer to the touch...I still split in half and check for nasties being in this humid environment...One reason japs are so popular for chipotles is they are so thick walled they dont air dry well on a string etc...

Comment

Speaking of "nasties" inside, I cut open a bell pepper several years back and there was a green "inchworm" inside it, alive....

Anybody else ever experience that?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          Speaking of "nasties" inside, I cut open a bell pepper several years back and there was a green "inchworm" inside it, alive....

Anybody else ever experience that?
                          You garden long enough and you will be suprised what you find...This been a little wormier year in my garden...

Of course the hole in pepper is usually give away a worm inside,,,,

Comment

There was no real visible hole that I remember. Think he may have gotten in as lil babby worm when pepper was small and as pepper grew hole sealed and he kept on eating? He big now, and plays with all the neighborhood kids. Been a pretty good worm so far.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              Think he may have gotten in as lil babby worm when pepper was small and as pepper grew hole sealed and he kept on eating? He big now, and plays with all the neighborhood kids. Been a pretty good worm so far.
                              If they bore in near stem it can be hard see the hole....

I like me worms with mad hunky...Internal usually 160 degree...

Comment

Working...
                              X