Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spicy Pickled Green Beans/Jalapenos/Onions/Peppers & A Dad, Would This Work Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spicy Pickled Green Beans/Jalapenos/Onions/Peppers & A Dad, Would This Work Question?

Canned up some pickled spicey green beans tonight from me garden & added a few things (onion-japs-peppers)...... Was getting near the end of the process & me 7 year old asked me what I was doing?... So, I explained how the canning process preserved food without spoiling for exteneded periods.... So, naturally the next conversation revolved around the native americans, cowboys, soldiers, settlers, etc & the ways that they did preserve food..... So I did my best on that one & told him what I knew & that dried vegetables, spices & water combined with dried meats can make a good dinner (soup/stew) & the earlier settlers used to eat that..... He thought I was kidding him ... He's 7.5 years old & into the oudoor & hunting thing..... Heres some pics.... We gonna dry out some veggies, then some beef & see what happens..... I did not add green beans to the dehydrator, cause I picked them all & they went into the jars. ..... I did slice up a nice Roma tomatoe that is on the dehydrator & not in the pic..... see what happens

sigpic

you pickle runner beans ?

We always have masses - never occured to me to pickle them.
    How do they turn out and what do you use them for ?

If you're into the native american trail foods - have a go at making pemmican.

Basicallya mix of dried fruit, jerky, fat and honey. Both the drying and honey act as preservatives. Get it right and that stuff will last for years.
    Fora modern take you'll probably want to cut back a little on the fat content. You want some because it's what holds it all together.

Great for kids to make as it's all just mixed up with the honey and melted (bacon ?) fat and rolled into shape.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Cool stuff. Kids are great.
      SCOTT

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

Dilly beans Alex, at least out here in the west, are real common. I've had more than a few Bloody Marys with a dill pickled green bean or spicy pickled asparagus spear as a garnish. Never heard em called "runner" beans before, but I get it.

Cool deal Scott, you must be one of the coolest dads ever
        JT

Comment

Good on ya for bringing the kid into it, Scott.

I know it is a PITA at first, answering questions, watching fingers, dodging sharp knives, reassuring mom... and the fricking mess... but what a cool way to spend an afternoon.

Just spent one of the best days ever with my two oldest girls on the lake that turned in to a boat driving, filleting, smoking, frying lesson.

Had an older feller tell me one time: "If you don't make it fun for them, they aren't going to want to do it." Damned if he weren't right! So all of you young dads out there, stop by Micky D's, load up the cooler with pop and snacks, answer all their questions, and be patient!!! You're actually growing up your future game packer, boat driver, house fixer... and best friends without them even knowing it~!!

Sorry about that - family is a BIG THING for me.

Oh yeah... and the beans and peppers look great too! I work with a lady that pickles them, they are pretty good that way.

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
            Good on ya for bringing the kid into it, Scott.

I know it is a PITA at first, answering questions, watching fingers, dodging sharp knives, reassuring mom... and the fricking mess... but what a cool way to spend an afternoon.

Just spent one of the best days ever with my two oldest girls on the lake that turned in to a boat driving, filleting, smoking, frying lesson.

Had an older feller tell me one time: "If you don't make it fun for them, they aren't going to want to do it." Damned if he weren't right! So all of you young dads out there, stop by Micky D's, load up the cooler with pop and snacks, answer all their questions, and be patient!!! You're actually growing up your future game packer, boat driver, house fixer... and best friends without them even knowing it~!!

Sorry about that - family is a BIG THING for me.

Oh yeah... and the beans and peppers look great too! I work with a lady that pickles them, they are pretty good that way.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

Basicallya mix of dried fruit, jerky, fat and honey. Both the drying and honey act as preservatives. Get it right and that stuff will last for years.
                Fora modern take you'll probably want to cut back a little on the fat content. You want some because it's what holds it all together.

Great for kids to make as it's all just mixed up with the honey and melted (bacon ?) fat and rolled into shape.
                This is my first go at making them. My SIL's -X- used to make them & give them to me & I loved them. They were hot & spicy & great guy/bar snacks.... I did forget the Red pepper flakes though

Next, I will do up some jerky & throw it in with some dehydrated vegetables & see what happens..... I might even research it a bit, but doubt it... lol

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                Dilly beans Alex, at least out here in the west, are real common. I've had more than a few Bloody Marys with a dill pickled green bean or spicy pickled asparagus spear as a garnish. Never heard em called "runner" beans before, but I get it.

Cool deal Scott, you must be one of the coolest dads ever
                Yeah JT, somehow they may find their way into a Bloody Mary this fall for a 10am football kickoff
                sigpic

Comment

Damn good job on the beans & Great job on the parenting!

My hat's off to you, my friend!
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice job big salmon....My old neighbor only pickles runner beans...I prefer me bush beans....

Comment

Good Dad

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post

Next, I will do up some jerky & throw it in with some dehydrated vegetables & see what happens
                      Take a look here before you do!
                      http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes.aspx
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        Good Dad

Take a look here before you do!
                        http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes.aspx

Great site Mark..... Have it bookmarked, was their anything in particular you were wanting me to see, or that you have tried?
                        sigpic

Comment

Scott all I can say is... up to ya.. What a great family to be part of... And please pass a Mary with a couple beans

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
                            Scott all I can say is... up to ya.. What a great family to be part of... And please pass a Mary with a couple beans
                            Darrell, I would love to if you ever get up this way, I may even use cucumber infused vodka... Then you could almost say ya had a salad ..... Damn, Mary's with the works are hard to beat for that breakfast "craving"

There are some pics of some pretty good tricked out "Bloody Mary's and Red Beers" on here, I will try to dig out & bump
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X