An attempt at Gunnys Jalapeno Relish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An attempt at Gunnys Jalapeno Relish

Sitting here today wondering what to do with all these damn Japs in the Garden. Surfing thru some of the posts here and come across Gunnys post for Jap Relish.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...+relish&page=2

Had everything I needed so I moved forward.

First off, let me say, that when working with this amount of peppers, WHERE GLOVES!!!!!! My hands feel like Tommy Lee used them as his own personal drum set. I knew better when I was cleaning them out

And now, several hours later, and several heavy hand washings, I try to get an eyelash out of my eye. CALL 911. Holy Chit, that oil has some good hang time. Don't touch eyes or anything below the belt....

Anyhow, here's what we got.

The Japs. Went to the garden and picked out some of the larger ones. Didn't have quite enough of the green ones that were large enough so I added what is called "Garden Salsa" peppers. The shape of a cayeene with a bit more heat than a hab. Right around 3000 Schovile. The rest of my japs are smaller or the larger ones are Red and I'm saving them to make some Chipotle.

Onions, nice large white ones.

Did not have a red bell so I used a big ole yellow one. Figured I'd get some nice red color from the garden salsa peppers anyhow.

Ran everything thru the food processor. (Do not breath in deeply when removing lid from food processor after dicing Japs )

All canned up. Made 6 pints and 6 half pints. The half pints I will give away to people I like, which means I'll probably only give away one or two

Tried a little that was left over in the pot. This stuff has got a bite to it, that's for sure. Somewhat HOT but it doesn't last like biting into a raw jap. It also has a great sweet taste to it really balances it out. I think it's gonna be kick ass on some hot dogs or as burger toppings. Like Gunny said in his post, a real man would use the whole pepper, so naturally I only used about 1/3 of them whole I'm glad I didn't go whole with all of them as this years Japs are hot as hell.

Well that's it. Thanks Gunny for posting that and thanks for checkin out my thread
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Looks like a good idea for my peppers, nice looking stuff Todd

Comment

Very nice!!! I have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
      Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

So did you do it the mans way? seeds n all?

Comment

Looks great Todd.... How about some Jalapeno jelly next?... You lead I'll follow.... Gotta get me some 1/2 pints soon...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
            So did you do it the mans way? seeds n all?
            Nope Only kept about 1/3 of them whole, the rest I removed the seeds and veins. The heat on the final outcome was pretty substantial so I'm glad I removed what I did. I wonder if it will mellow with age?

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Looks great Todd.... How about some Jalapeno jelly next?... You lead I'll follow.... Gotta get me some 1/2 pints soon...
            You know I have Jap jelly a few years ago and loved it. Problem is, I'm the only one who would eat it. No one else in this house eats jelly....Can you believe that? No one eats toasts in the morning but me. I was just lookin at a recipe in my "Preserving the harvest" book this afternoon. Maybe I'll break the recipe down for only a couple jars. Otherwise, as far as jelly goes, I plan on making a boatload of Orange Marmalade, cuz that stuff Rocks
            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
              Nope Only kept about 1/3 of them whole, the rest I removed the seeds and veins. The heat on the final outcome was pretty substantial so I'm glad I removed what I did. I wonder if it will mellow with age?

You know I have Jap jelly a few years ago and loved it. Problem is, I'm the only one who would eat it. No one else in this house eats jelly....Can you believe that? No one eats toasts in the morning but me. I was just lookin at a recipe in my "Preserving the harvest" book this afternoon. Maybe I'll break the recipe down for only a couple jars. Otherwise, as far as jelly goes, I plan on making a boatload of Orange Marmalade, cuz that stuff Rocks
              ..... Same thing here..... on the relish, nicely done
              sigpic

Comment

Very very nicely done Sir. as well.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Looks great, Todd. We may have to make up a batch of that (and some jap jelly).
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Very nice! Whew! Makes me sweat just looking at the stuff.
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                      The half pints I will give away to people I like, which means I'll probably only give away one or two
                      In my case, I'd only be able to give 2 away...one to each cowgirl, but they wouldn't be able to open them...you know, the whole opposable thumb thing.

Looks great Todd. I'd definitely hit a dog or a brat with a heapin' helpin' O relish.
                      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
                      X