loose fitting cryovac bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose fitting cryovac bag

has anybody had a loose fitting cryo bag? All i remember is basiclly vac tight.
    My wife brought home a picnic and the bag is loose. I can't see anywhere it is open or has any pin hole leaks.

Opinions
    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

I have found one or two of those at the store and I never buy them because I am usually freezing mine so I don't want it to get freezer burnt that much faster. I don't know if they just don't get a good seal or what? I'm sure they are just fine. My vacuum sealer does that every once in a while.
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Comment

That would bother me probably. If you're going to freeze I'd vac-pack it to be sure. If not then as long as it looks good and smells good go for it.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

IF... i use it it will be in the next hour. I am still considering just taking it back.
        Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Originally posted by PreacherRodgers View Post
          IF... i use it it will be in the next hour. I am still considering just taking it back.
          If it's not too far that would be my choice
          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
          Weber 22.5" WSM
          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
          Weber Smokey Joe
          GMG Daniel Boone
          Pit Barrel Cooker
          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
          6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
          Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
          The Vortex

Comment

I would take it bk for sure just in case.
            Chargriller Pro w. sfb
            Ducane 4100 propane grill
            Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Maybe call and talk to someone in the meat department and explain the situation and make sure they will take it back. Just a though. Might save you a trip if they are sticklers about taking stuff back. You would think any decent place would be more than willing to take it back and would actually want to take it back to keep the customer happy. Or heck maybe they will give it to you for a discounted price or something. Who knows.
              Propane Smoke Shack
              UDS
              Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
              sigpic

Comment

my strong guess is that it's simply an inadequate vacuum, but still a good seal. as others have said, if you were going to freeze it, it might make a difference, but otherwise you could simply use it and not worry about it.

having said that, in the end, you gotta do what youi're most comfortable with, and if taking it back is an option that you feel is necessary, then you might as well do that.
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I have looked at it very closely and there is no air in the bag. This makes me think the seal was good and maby the "natural juices" that were injected into leaked out. The meat looks normal. IF i cut it open I will let you know how it turns out.

If you think of anything else let me know.

Comment

It's probably okay, but I would open it regardless and have a smell. If I had any doubts after that I'd return it in a heartbeat.
                    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Cryos are supposed to be vac-sealed... I'd take that one back.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

i brought one home several years ago, when in doubt throw it out kicked in...

now i am very vigilant about loose cryo bags
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I'm in the take it back camp.

One test you can do.
                          Immerse it completely in clean water and give it a good squeeze all over. At least that way you could positively confirm whether it's properly sealed.

In my experience cryovacs always have a little play and liquid in them anyway. long as it's not real loose and has no holes - should be fine.
                          But if it's not going to cost you to exchange - why take risks.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Take it back, you're not getting what you paid for, satisfaction guaranteed.. In my book.
                            3Cs BBQ Co.
                            Competition & Catering (Facebook & Twitter)
                            3Cs BBQ Shack
                            Roadside BBQ that Bites YOU Back !!
                            250 Gallon Homemade Offset Trailer (Ol Betsy)
                            2 Standard UDS
                            2 22.5 Weber Kettles

Comment

Originally posted by 3Cs BBQ Co View Post
                              Take it back, you're not getting what you paid for, satisfaction guaranteed.. In my book.
                              Ditto that....

So what happened?

Comment

Working...
                              X