PECTIN. Question for jelly makers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PECTIN. Question for jelly makers.

Well this is confusing to say the least. I cannot for the life of me find any info or any definite info on what I need to do. I bought a jar or Real Fruit Classic Pectin by Ball. This stuff here at the top.
    http://www.freshpreserving.com/produ...n.aspx#classic

The recipes I see, some say use packets, others say boxes. Is the term Box and packet used interchangeably ?

One recipe I am looking at for Jap Jelly calls for 3 packets of dry pectin. The label on the stuff I have here says 1 old box equals 6 tbs of this new stuff. So does that mean I need to use 18 tbs of pectin That seems like allot.

I'm ready to throw this damn jar thru the window in frustration.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

I went through the same chit when I made my Red Pepper jelly... I just decided to follow the recipe that came with the Ball stuff, but I used mostly Red Peppers instead of Jalapenos.
    sigpic

Comment

Never used the dry.. I always use the liquid pouches..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Probably intentional confusion. Says "6 Tablespoons = 1 box of other pectin brands." But does not say how many packets are in a box. No way to correlate the conversion. No weight of the contents of either.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

It's like saying.... How long is a piece of string

Is there a recipe on the stuff you got Todd
          sigpic

Comment

The liquid comes in a packe, usually two to a box. The dry comes one packet to a box. From my limited experience, but i have used both, the dry takes more. The liquid works much better or atleast in smaller amounts. Not sure if they are interchangeable, but most recipes will work with 6--8oz of the liquid.
            Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

See if they have a customer service number, and give them a call. Shit, call them anyways. I just found it. 800-240-3340
              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                I'm ready to throw this damn jar thru the window in frustration.

MH - never seen this type of packaging before, but I would concur with you that if a previous recipe called for 3 boxes or pouches, you would need to use 18T. We make a lot of fruit jelly, and I've found that the best jelly comes from simply following the directions in which ever box/brand you've bought otherwise you get syrup!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  Probably intentional confusion. Says "6 Tablespoons = 1 box of other pectin brands." But does not say how many packets are in a box. No way to correlate the conversion. No weight of the contents of either.
                  Exactly. When I look at at the boxes, they are about the size of a Jello box, thinking one big pouch.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Is there a recipe on the stuff you got Todd
                  Here it is Fish.
                  * 3/4 lb to 1 pound of Peppers (see step 1)
                  * 6 cups sugar (or other sweeteners - see step 6)
                  * 2 cups of 5% apple cider vinegar (if you don't have any, use plain white 5% vinegar). OR, you may use an equivalent amount of lemon juice, instead.
                  * 3 packets of dry pectin (or 3 pouches of liquid pectin) See this page for types of pectin and where to get it.
                  Yields 5 8oz jars.

With what they state on this jar of pectin, for the above recipe, I need to use 18 TBL of this powdered pectin. That = 1 1/8 Cups worth. Thats almost the entire jar???? Furthermore, the label says this jar will make 22 half pints whereas the above recipe says it will make 5 - 8oz jars???

Originally posted by WALLE View Post

MH - never seen this type of packaging before, but I would concur with you that if a previous recipe called for 3 boxes or pouches, you would need to use 18T. We make a lot of fruit jelly, and I've found that the best jelly comes from simply following the directions in which ever box/brand you've bought otherwise you get syrup!
                  Oh I agree Walle. I'm just confused as to what constitutes a "Box" of pectin vs. a packet. I want to make Red Jap jelly. Several of my Japs are Red right now but several of them are also starting to dry up. Going to give them a call and see what the deal is.

Thanks all for your input and help. It's always appreciated

Comment

Major Update

Ok. After several cups of coffee, kicking the dog, grounding my son for now apparent reason, my head has cleared and decided to delve into reading more on this pectin stuff.

My take on why the recipe I want to make uses so much pectin is that some foods have more natural pectin within than others. Apple jelly has natural pectin in the apple itself, thus doesn't need as much. I also re-read the what the jar said about making 22 half pints. The smaller print on the front reads "Makes UP TO 22 half pints". I guess that means under ideal food conditions, those with a natural high pectin content, this jar would stretch to make 22 half pints.

Oh man, this jelly stuff is so easy, even a caveman can do it

Comment

..... Well, at least somebody has it figured out ...... Good luck Todd....
                      sigpic

Comment

Well I don't know if I got it right or not, but we do have jelly
                        It passed the spoon test and the jars are coolin as we speak.....

Will post in a few.

Comment

In dry pectin, 1 box equals a packet. In liquid pectin, 1 pouch equals one packet. Usually 2 packets per box. This is from my aunt who makes a ton of jelly.
                          Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

Not that I know anything here, but can gelatin be used instead? Just curious.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by ganny76 View Post
                              In dry pectin, 1 box equals a packet. In liquid pectin, 1 pouch equals one packet. Usually 2 packets per box. This is from my aunt who makes a ton of jelly.
                              Where the hell were you a few days ago
                              Thanks ganny, that does clear it up...

Comment

Working...
                              X