Who's a baker (cuz I'm not!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's a baker (cuz I'm not!)

Just baked a pound cake in a bundt pan. It called for one hour at 350, ended up going about 12 minutes beyond that because my toothpick did not come out completely clean at the one hour mark. Checked it about every 3 minutes after the hour with a toothpick test

Pulled it finally and let cool for about 15 minutes in the pan, then flipped onto a plate. At that point I see the center closest to the center of the bundt shape is not cooked through. Covered the top all the way around with foil, slid onto a pan and put it back in the oven at 350.

So...was that the right thing to do??? Any ideas on what went wrong?

I will not comment,but should...Squirel be along...

Comment

Yea that's all you can do. Your over thermo is probably off. Mine is off by 25 degrees @350, so I use a separate thermometer to be sure. 25deg. can make a big difference in a cake.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Mrs. B. that usually does not work. I've tried it before and it usually ends up drying out on the sides and becomes chewy. If you have a spray bottle you can try spritzing it with water, or some sort of juice. Also you can try mixing some powered sugar, lemon juice and splash of milk to brush all over it as soon as it comes out. Good Luck!!

Comment

Never did a pound cake, but sounds like your temps are off?
          Check that oven temp against another reliable therm. Mine is off 25 degrees.
          I'm half tempted to just build a small fire in the warming drawer and treat my oven like a stick burner. At least THEN I can get the temps I want
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. It ended up staying in for not quite another 20 minutes and of course the center did not stay a hole like it should have been. Oh well. The edges were not quite "crispy", not really burnt at all, but firm. The center was moist as it should be. I will definitely check my oven temps today.

Oh, come on ALX, start my day off right! let's hear it

Comment

Working...
            X