Old wood? Still good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old wood? Still good?

We all know that one must give green wood a fair amount of time to dry/season before it should be used, but what about really old wood? Is there anything wrong with it? There is a guy down the road who has ALLOT of rough cut butternut, stored indoors for the past 40 years. Any reason this wood would not be a good choice? Has anyone ever used butternut, and if so, how is it?
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

I've got some really old dried out citrus wood. And I really don't think it imparts any flavor compared to some fresh chunks. I've ended up using it in the firepit

Comment

That's sorta what I was thinking, any aromatics would leach out after that many years.

Comment

If it was stored out in the elements I would agree, but it was stored indoors. Should be fine, but I have no idea what "butternut" is.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Butternut is a cousin to walnut. It is much prized in the woodworking world as premium wood.Woodworkers and cabinet makers would cringe at the thought of burning it. You might be better to sell it and buy some of your favorite wood. As far as being 40 years old ,it will burn quick and will not give off that much aroma. That species, including walnut has oils in the fibers that are not desirable for smoke wood. On the other hand ,it's free and you could experiment. If it was me I would put it on craigslist or ebay.
          Primo oval xl, Weber22.5 kettle, 22.5 Weber proforma

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Comment

Originally posted by whitey View Post
            Butternut is a cousin to walnut. It is much prized in the woodworking world as premium wood.Woodworkers and cabinet makers would cringe at the thought of burning it. You might be better to sell it and buy some of your favorite wood. As far as being 40 years old ,it will burn quick and will not give off that much aroma. That species, including walnut has oils in the fibers that are not desirable for smoke wood. On the other hand ,it's free and you could experiment. If it was me I would put it on craigslist or ebay.
            I'd go with Whitey - on "craigslist or ebay".
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Slice off a peice and look for cracks in the wood. If it was cured very slowly indoors, it may have stabilized the wood without cracking and you may have something very desireable for turning on a wood lathe. Problem with hard woods is if they are cured too fast they develop cracks and become worthless for wood working. But a 40 year old hunk of butternut with no cracks, , ,could be very valuable.
              JT

Comment

Stored indoors for 40 years? By golly then it must be worth something to somebody.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                  Stored indoors for 40 years? By golly then it must be worth something to somebody.
                  Yup. Actually I know someone who would be interested I think. In NY tho... I will send him this link however...
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Old wood? Still good?
                    my G/F tells me yes.............sorry, couldn't resist.
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                      It took 11 posts before someone slipped in a "WOOD" joke

You guys are slippin.........

I should have mentioned in my original post, the guy that has this wood, is NOT giving it away, but selling it. So no DEALS to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                        It took 11 posts before someone slipped in a "WOOD" joke

You guys are slippin..........
                        that's what i was thinkin'......
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

You beat me to it lol

Comment

butternut wood

The owner may not be giving it away, but as a hobby woodworker I'd pay a good price for slow cured butternut. He has something too valuable to burn.
                            sigpic

Comment

2-22.5'' weber
                              1-18'' weber
                              1 smokey joe
                              22.5'' wsm
                              24'' smoke vault
                              1-outhouse
                              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                              X