Fridge/Freezer Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge/Freezer Smoker

I have a fridge/freezer that I am going to attempt to make into my first smoker. I was planning on turning it upside down and using the freezer part of it for the fire box, but now am thinking about building an external fire box. Is one way better than the other? What would the pros and cons be of doing each.

Thanks!

Wally

external firebox allows for more control, more fuel sources, more options for future "expansion". a bottom-mount box allows for a more efficient heat (i.e. a cabinet smoker), since the hot air rises. depending on how your fabrication skills are, making an adjustable damper between the firebox and the charcoal box may be a bit of an issue.

personally, mine is a side-mount firebox (2' cube, fully insulated) and I love it... I can burn full logs, use the charcoal basket, a combination, or have a VERY cold smoke for cheeses, etc.

another thing to think about it what size you want the finished product to be... mine is about 6' wide and 3' deep by the time you figure the "saefty zone" behind the firebox (even with fire-rated insulation, it can still melt siding... don't ask).

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Here's what Andy is talking about..... And, I think it's for sale?????

sigpic

Comment

yeah... it's for sale. I love it, but it needs to go to make room in the family for a bigger one. lol
        Current babies:
        Former Lineup:
        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

BTW, that picture is from before I insulated the firebox... here is it after...

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:

Comment

So, how much do you want for that cute little girl?.. Oh...I meant smoker! She is a cute little button!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Modern fridge units are waaay full of plastic. I'd think about re-thinking this project if that's the case.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                So, how much do you want for that cute little girl?.. Oh...I meant smoker! She is a cute little button!

Thanks mark... she gets it from mommy. Lol.

The fridge, I'm wanting to get about $300 or so from it... lots of sentimental value and about $700-$900 worth of materials in it so far (I could always add more racks, change the intake system, make a better ash tray and charcoal basket, etc.) I have thought about just mounting it onto my trailer and using it as my comp unit, but I could make much better use of the limited space on the trailer with a reverse cabinet smoker...
                Current babies:
                Former Lineup:

Comment

Thanks Andy. I think we are going to go with the external firebox. We figured we can always modify it if we want.

Rich, we have it totally gutted so there isn't any plastic left.

Here's a crappy picture of what we have.

Comment

No problem. If you are on a budget, you could easily turn it into an electric unit, not requiring a firebox then. I am actually working on an electric unit (hopefully it will be done by winter).

What I would do is cut out the crossmember between the fridge and freezer section, and use one sheet of metal to bond both the freezer door and fridge door together so it operates as one door. That crossmember will just get in your way sooner or later.

Later,
                    Andy
                    Current babies:
                    Former Lineup:

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Em If You got Em View Post
                      Rich, we have it totally gutted so there isn't any plastic left.
                      Ahhh OK. Well, still the metal ain't gonna handle firebox temps. Think insert. .25" plate or better.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Ahhh OK. Well, still the metal ain't gonna handle firebox temps. Think insert. .25" plate or better.
                        I think we are going to use an external firebox. It would be good enough for for that wouldn't it?

Comment

I think we are going to use an external firebox. It would be good enough for for that wouldn't it?
                          are you planning on re-insulating the smoke chamber at all? for an external firebox, use at least 1/8" steel for the main walls.
                          Current babies:
                          Former Lineup:

Comment

I would like to re-insulate it. I am building it with my Pa, and he thinks the insulation I have might be toxic. So we might try it without re-insulating it first.

Comment

I would like to re-insulate it. I am building it with my Pa, and he thinks the insulation I have might be toxic. So we might try it without re-insulating it first.
                              what insulation do you have or what were you planning on using?
                              Current babies:
                              Former Lineup:

Comment

Working...
                              X