Semi-lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-lost

So I burned in my new PR-60 today. I did just like the guy said and then some . I put in 10 pounds of charcoal, weed burner 15 min., turned it to the wind to get the draft.... I couldn't get it above 275 or half way stable for 10 min. I did get the new burned off but WTF...

Guru... no Guru I don't know what to do????? Going to do a pig in a couple of week... I must be missing something. Dude told me not to buy a Guru intill I was sure I needed one. As bad as this went I think I need a case of Guru's

10lbs of charcoal, maybe 10 bags. Not enough fuel. Alex be along, he has one - he can tell ya fer sure!
    I don't think a Guru will work well on that cooker.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
      10lbs of charcoal, maybe 10 bags. Not enough fuel. Alex be along, he has one - he can tell ya fer sure!
      I don't think a Guru will work well on that cooker.
      Yeah, I think you didn't have enough fuel there my friend... never used one of those cookers meself, butt I know they take a shitload of charcoal to get them happy...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That's a big cooker for only 10 pounds of charcoal..

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Perhaps that was just the recommended amount for a burn-in run? Yer gonna need alot more than that to cook a hog, I guarantee you.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That cooker is a beast. The spec sheet says to use 80 to 100lbs of charcoal to cook a whole hog at 300º.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth View Post
              That cooker is a beast. The spec sheet says to use 80 to 100lbs of charcoal to cook a whole hog at 300º.
              and my guess without knowing the smoker is thats a low ball figure on the charcoal...
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Actualy whet dude told me was 5 pounds to burn in. He told me to take it to 275 and hold for an hour.. I used better than 10 pounds, dicked with it for 3 hours and couldn't hold anything anywhere.... needless to say I got a little frustrated.

I thought there might not be enough fuel but being the new guy I figured dude knew better. I got 200 pounds on sale, farmers can't pass up a deal, so I should have enough to do the hog. It just didn't live up to the hipe. You all make me feel a little better.

Comment

i'd try again using 40lbs & taking it to 400-500 for @ least an hour.
                  275 isn't hot enough to burn any residual oils or other gunk off.

that looks like a nice roaster too bad it doesn't have an optional side firebox.
                  brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                  18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                  cast iron Hibachi
                  22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                  & rotisserator
                  12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                  stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                  Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                  http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                  my music recordings-
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by scotth View Post
                    Points for finding the spec sheet...

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

That thing needs to be wood fired if you are talking 100 lbs of charcoal you are looking upwards of $75 worth of charcoal for one pig. I just bought a whole cord of split and delivered red oak for about $150!
                      That will last me for a half of ton of meat or more.
                      G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Comment

to the forum Farmer John.
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
                          That thing needs to be wood fired if you are talking 100 lbs of charcoal you are looking upwards of $75 worth of charcoal for one pig. I just bought a whole cord of split and delivered red oak for about $150!
                          That will last me for a half of ton of meat or more.
                          i agree... even in my fridge smoker, i limit myself to no more than one bag of charcoal for any given burn, no matter how long i need the heat. the charcoal is a good base to get the smoke rolling and produce the basic heat, but after that, just start chucking in pieces of wood... a lot cheaper, easier to control the temps in my opinion, and produces smoke also... GratefulDave here on the forum will load up one chimney of charcoal into his OK Joe, then immediately set it down and light another full chimney, knowing he will have to add more heat within 20-30 minutes anyway... to me, it's too much work to really enjoy the day...

Later,
                          Andy
                          Current babies:
                          -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                          -RichTee's Lang :)
                          Former Lineup:
                          -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                          -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                          -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                          BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Working...
                          X