• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go

The lil containers did pretty well this year for peppers , I have :

and

My thoughts are as follows :

Try and roast the pablanos on the gas grill .
    The serranos and red chilies , split , tray and give them 6 hours on the smoker , then finish drying in the new dehydrator that should be showing up soon.
    Too humid here to try and hang the chilies to dry slow in a window.

Thought , smoke , dehydrate , and powder for the serranos and chilies would be my best bet for a first timer.
    If the seranos and chilies need different things , well that is why I made this post
    Your patience and helpfullness is always
    Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

I dry all of my peppers on the gas grill. I put 'em on skewers & on the grill & turn 'em a few times until they are dry & almost brittle, about 3 hours on med-low heat. Then grind 'em in spice grinder. The grill gives them a good roasted flavor. For chipotles I add some wood chips in a stainless box & smoke 'em some. Works great.
    MES 30"
    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
    Weber 22" kettle
    E-Z-Que rotisserie
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Big Weber Gasser
    Cracker Smoker
    UDS

Comment

Just watch how much smoke....It should be a compliment to pepper...I have been smoking peppers along time and still overdue a batch now and again....I stick to lighter fruit woods or pecan etc...

Comment

Will do , I'll keep the smoke thin , as much to give them a head start for the dehydrator as well as a lil flavor. Just needed an excuse to warm up the chargriller
        Phil

Comment

So remember , just a couple tote bins , they did pretty good for upstate ny

Grabbed a few chilies and serranos , gave them a rinse and they looked like this

I think there were 11 chilies , three were bad so I got this ( the bad don't show up in the pic but they are the 3 split on the cutting board

Needed a lil color so the few habs from our ground garden

Looks better

sliced , and ready to start the drying process

some cherry that is very dry and burns so clean it is hard to get a pic of the smoke , but I can smell the wood so a peice on the small amt of royal oak lump every now and again should be what I think I need to do

Phil

Comment

OH YEAH....Thin and Blue smoke....

Comment

Yep , ended up with about 1/2 or a lil more for next time on the cherry

Last bit o' wood and charcoal :

Gotta get one last pic of the victems before I bring them inside and stick them in the dehydrator for however long that part takes .
              Phil

Comment

Looking Really Good

sigpic

Comment

Looked like this before I brought them in

Ran the new unhydrater a few hours yesterday just to get rid of the new plastic off gassing stink

Stacked up a few trays :

Top to bottom Chilies on top

imagine a similar tray to the above pic but with the cleaning screen in this empty space

and the bottom tray used for unhydrating

put the empty last tray on the bottom and set the temp for the lowest setting ( 95 f )
                  We'll see what things look like tomarrow morning
                  Phil

Comment

i use two convection style excalibur ten tray models...but me experiences with type you have i always tried rotate trays top bottom occasionaly as heating element was toward bottom etc...But they prolly have come long ways since i used that type...

I have always cold smoked em on smoker-100-125 degree(3-4 hours) and i dehydrate at 125 degree for normaly 1.5 days plus depending on humidity....Then again i needed the color and smoke for more then home applications...

Color looks fanatastic on your smoked pepppers....and i can tell you got some nice cherry smoke in them....I dont grind the seeds,but i keep the membrane....

Comment

Just brought mine (smoked peppers) in about an hour ago. Good variety ya got going there. LOVE the rubbermaid tote deal for planters. I think I can snag a few from the wife. Sure she'll be pissed about it, but I'll get over it.
                      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Thanks Alx and Meat Hunter

ALX , with this dehydrater the motor , fan , and heater are all on top. Suposedly forces the hot ( warm ) air down the small spaces in the outer ring , then draws across the trays and back up thru the center. That makes the top tray the warmest ( in my one time user opinion ) so that's why I put the bigger chilis on the top tray.
                        Didn't want to over heat them so I left it at 95F overnite.. Seems that isn't quite warm enough , so I bumped it up to 125F this morning . Should be about done sometime this afternoon I'm guessing.
                        And I now have replaced the gloves ( that I knew I had 2 pr left over ..... something about hair color but they were gone when I cut these up yesterday ). That's why they didn't get seeded before drying.

Meat Hunter , Just remember that it takes 2 of those tote bins to make 1 self watering container ( at least the way we did ours )
                        Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 1894 View Post
                          Thanks Alx and Meat Hunter

ALX , with this dehydrater the motor , fan , and heater are all on top. Suposedly forces the hot ( warm ) air down the small spaces in the outer ring , then draws across the trays and back up thru the center. That makes the top tray the warmest ( in my one time user opinion ) so that's why I put the bigger chilis on the top tray.
                          Didn't want to over heat them so I left it at 95F overnite.. Seems that isn't quite warm enough , so I bumped it up to 125F this morning . Should be about done sometime this afternoon I'm guessing.
                          And I now have replaced the gloves ( that I knew I had 2 pr left over ..... something about hair color but they were gone when I cut these up yesterday ). That's why they didn't get seeded before drying.

Meat Hunter , Just remember that it takes 2 of those tote bins to make 1 self watering container ( at least the way we did ours )
                          I take seeds out after dehydrating as well....I just meant i dont grind the seeds,but i keep all the membrane to ggrind with pepper...

I probably do things different then most as i dehydrate my onion,garlic etc..i grow as well....I KEEP ME PAPRIKAS AND SUCH VAC-U-SEALED WHOLE(dehydrated) AND ONLY GRIND WHAT I NEED..I personaly think it is fresher that way then say grinding up a bunch and letting it sit...

Looks great and 125 degree what i dehydrate everything at....Keeps the color and wont effect flavor even if it goes a day to long in dehydrator etc...Luckily mine have a timer setting up to 27 hours without re-setting...

Comment

You save those seeds for tossing in stuff down the road after you dry the peppers ?
                            Once dry ( brittle dry ? ) my halfed chilis and serranos and 1/4d few habs , just vac them and toss in the pantry ( segregated of course ) and use when needed ?

Sorry for the long newbie threads , but my old computator ( when did they stop making a pentium 2? ) is bound to crash an burn before next fall so I'm trying to keep a record here .
                            Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 1894 View Post
                              You save those seeds for tossing in stuff down the road after you dry the peppers ?
                              Once dry ( brittle dry ? ) my halfed chilis and serranos and 1/4d few habs , just vac them and toss in the pantry ( segregated of course ) and use when needed ?

Sorry for the long newbie threads , but my old computator ( when did they stop making a pentium 2? ) is bound to crash an burn before next fall so I'm trying to keep a record here .
                              I grow so many peppers over many moons that I did run out of me old mums favorite(new mexico style cayene-not the long slim crud) that i had to use some from a vac-u-sealed bag a few years ago....

Here is thread i did....Only 2 of 8 or so were crossed...Just not gamble i usualy take....I was big into botany in college and me neighbor grows honeybees(honey) so if not using an pantyhose etc..over blossom you can get crosses...

EDIT....i just keep them in a dark and cool closet and grind as needed....properly dehydrated and then sealed there is no chance mold etc...Can be very humid here and exposed to air they can start to hydrate and grow nasties/mold...You can hydrate a dehydrated pepper at anytime as well in warm water....

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4794
                              Last edited by ALX; 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X