Boer Wors - Traditional South African Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boer Wors - Traditional South African Sausage

Boer Wors (literal translation: farmers sausage) is one of the south african Holy trinity. Comprising: biltong, boer wors and droe wors.

All three use the same spices/seasonings (salt, coriander, brown sugar, pepper and vinegars) and beef as a base.
    As with all 'traditional' foods there as many recipes for boer wors as there are butchers in south africa.
    I've even seen recipes on the net that use pork and pork fat - These ARE NOT authentic ! (lol)

This is my take on it, derived after considerable reading and about as authentic as any you're likely to try (and yes it's been fed to south africans who gave it two thumbs up, lol) :-)
    While a beef sausage, boer wors draws it's distinctive richness and taste from lamb and lamb fat in particular. Traditionally lambs tail fat is used - I've never seen this for sale so I use lamb breast. The woolly version of pork bellies. It has plenty of fat and a very strong lamby flavour that complements the beef and seasonings perfectly.

I know a fluid ounce is slightly more than 25ml (28.4)- but it's close enough for this recipe :-)

Curious Aardvarks Boer Wors

Ingredients

3 lb lean beef (I used trimmed brisket)
    1 lb lamb breast (don't trim)
    3 tsp seasalt (if cold smoking, use cure salt instead)
    6 heaped tsp whole coriander seeds
    3 heaped tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp whole peppercorns
    1 level tsp garlic powder
    1 handful or 1/2 cup oats

25ml/1 floz worcester sauce
    50ml/2 floz balsamic vinegar
    25ml/1 floz cider vinegar

Chop beef and lamb into fairly small chunks and mix in a large bowl. Add oats and mix in.
    Mix the salt, pepper, garlic, coriander, sugar and peppercorns together and grind to a coarse powder. Mortar and pestle will work if you don't have any other spice grinder.
    Add spice mix to bowl and mix well.
    Add liquids and mix well.

Grind through a coarse grid. Mix well and pack down. Put in fridge and leave overnight for flavours to develop.

Stuff into hog casings. I usually make short stubby sausages. This recipe yields about 26. Or around 6 to the pound.

Not a cheap sausage to make but one well worth the cost :-)
    However due to the strong lamb flavour this tends to be one of those sausages people either love or hate :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Looks like you've got some good eating there. I don't know if I can get myself around the lamb part, but it may be alright with the beef and spices.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Very interesting sausage CA... I will read up on it.. Not sure if its one I would make, the jury is still out on that...
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Like I say if you like lamb you'll love these - if you don't like lamb, then there's no hope for you anyway lol
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          Like I say if you like lamb you'll love these - if you don't like lamb, then there's no hope for you anyway lol

I think there may be some sliver of hope left.. My wife seems to think so...
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

CA, Just happened to be looking at some Boer Wors recipes last night, yours seem to be quite simplified to the ones I was looking at which turned me off to theirs, I will have to try this recipe, looks very good ( I love Lamb). In some of the ones I saw they were adding oats, but, like 2lbs!!!!!!! I think this stems back to the era of hard times when they were trying to stretch the meals to make them go further.

Thanks for the recipe and great post
            20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
            36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
            22" webber
            several burners
            pool/spa (of course)
            sigpic

Comment

Boer Wors - Traditional South African Sausage

Once again CA you have helped put us on the map................... this is on Google's 1st page
              36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
              22" webber
              several burners
              pool/spa (of course)
              sigpic

Comment

CA if you feel like shipping me some I would be happy to try it. Never heard of this sausage before so thanks for bringing it up.
                "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

I would try it. What is the preferred way to cook it?

You folks do cook it...right?
                  Keith

Comment

Here is another one that looks pretty good without Lamb.... for all you non lamb lubbers.

Boer Wors
                    * 1.5 kg beef (Use shoulder or chuck)
                    * 1.5 kg pork (Use boston butt)
                    * 500 g bacon, diced
                    * 25 ml salt
                    * 5 ml ground pepper
                    * 50 ml ground coriander
                    * 2 ml freshly grated nutmeg
                    * 1ml ground cloves
                    * 2 ml ground dried thyme
                    * 2 ml ground allspice
                    * 125 ml red wine vinegar
                    * 1 clove garlic, crushed
                    * 50 ml Worcestershire sauce
                    * 85 g sausage casings

Cut the beef and pork meat into 1.5 " cubes and mix it with all the other ingredients except the sausage casings. Grind the meat using a medium-course grinding plate. Fill the sausage casings firmly but not too tightly with the meat mixture.

Can be fried, grilled or barbecued over coals or smoked.
                    36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
                    22" webber
                    several burners
                    pool/spa (of course)
                    sigpic

Comment

That sounds pretty good. The one CA has looks good, I like Lamb. Course it is on the pricey side.
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Ithought all those guys were starving there? Oh wait the BRITISH part... ;{)
                        Intresting flavor profile.... have to ponder this.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Ithought all those guys were starving there? Oh wait the BRITISH part... ;{)
                          Intresting flavor profile.... have to ponder this.
                          One of my customers/pilot is South African. He has a Biltong recipe that is awesome.
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Well there be one ta put on the list fer next winter! I'll give it a try with the shep an see how it flies, ifin it don't will try the one poolguy posted, sounds ta be a perty good sausage!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                              One of my customers/pilot is South African. He has a Biltong recipe that is awesome.
                              Is his recipe a secret.................
                              36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
                              22" webber
                              several burners
                              pool/spa (of course)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X