Blue's Extract Home Brew Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue's Extract Home Brew Thread

I am just starting up an extract IPA recipe so I thought I might share the process. Basically, there are three ways to brew:
    1. Extract brewing - using malt extracts and specialty grains
    2. Partial Mash brewing - which is a combination of extract and all grain brewing
    3. All grain - Converting the grains into sugars which is going to fuel your yeast to make alcohol.

I like to extract brew on weekdays when I am short of time. On brew day, I can typically get an extract recipe done in about 3 hours. When I have more time, like on the weekends, I will typically do an all grain recipe which can take 6 or more hours to finish. Think of it as cooking a high heat brisket vs.a low and slow brisket...both are going to produce a kick ass product, but one is going to take longer and give you more control over the process.

I'll keep the process spread out over a few different posts...but I'll keep it all in the same thread. Feel free to ask questions. Myself or another home brewer will be happy to answer.

Making a liquid yeast starter
    I make liquid yeast starters for two reason:
    1. To make sure my yeast is healthy before I start the brewing process
    2. To get the yeast stretched and limber before the race so that it will work faster and quicker.

Here is the yeast started I made the other day so it will be ready to brew tomorrow.

1. Sanitize. You need to clean and sanitize everything that will touch the wort after the boil is complete. I sanitize measuring cups, thermometer, air-locks, stoppers, the growler (or glass container of choice) and even my scissors.
    2. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil on the stove top
    3. Stir in 1/2 cup light dry malt extract

4. Boil for 15 minutes (stiring constantly to avoid a boil over)
    5. Cool wort in an ice bath. Bring temp down to 80 degrees asap

6. Pour the cooled wort into the sanitized growler

7. Pour in the liquid yeast (I am using a northwest ale yeast for my IPA)

8. Shake the growler up to get some air into the wort
    9. Slap on you air-lock...it helps if you have an audience

10. Ready to be fruitful and multiple

11. Put somewhere dark and check the following morning...you should see bubbles in the air-lock

12. Play the waiting game until brew day

More to come on brew day!!!
    Last edited by Blue; 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM. Reason: poor grammer
    Al

Right on man. I've thought about getting in to home brewing but I already have enough hobbies to keep me busy. One of our local Beer Advocates brought a growler of his Two Hearted Ale clone recipe to a tasting recently and it was insane. He used Citra hops though, which made it that much better.
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting...
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
        Interesting...
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

6. Pour the cooled wort into the sanitized growler
          Now I'm no expert on feminine hygiene....
          But using brewers wort is a new one on me

Great brewing thread too

Have some for explaining stuff I ought to know - living near a town that's been the centre of british beer for over 1000 years lol
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

You should try this recipe some time. I'm sure you could find some willing donator. :-)

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/content?oid=23587
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GrueLurks View Post
              You should try this recipe some time. I'm sure you could find some willing donator. :-)

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/content?oid=23587
              As long as I get to pick the donators and extract it myself.....
              Al

Comment

Nice....I need get back in this gig....I give a bud some pie pumpkins from garden everyyear for his pumpkin Ale deal....

Comment

Mmmm, like me a good IPA. A few more weeks and I will have to break out the kettles. Been tooooo long.
                  https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                    Nice....I need get back in this gig....I give a bud some pie pumpkins from garden everyyear for his pumpkin Ale deal....
                    Thats the kind of chit I want to expirament with.

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                    Mmmm, like me a good IPA. A few more weeks and I will have to break out the kettles. Been tooooo long.
                    Whenever I read or hear someone talking about...it always puts me in the mood. Remember, you can never have enough on hand.
                    Al

Comment

Here is a pic of the yeast about 24 hours later...working their billion+ asses off:

Pics from brew day will be posted later this afternoon.
                      Al

Comment

By adding a trace amount of my vaginal yeast to regular brewer's yeast, my "Original Pussy Beer" pays homage to beer's ancient creators from "the cradle of civilization." Woman is literally reunited with the beer.
                        That could put me off beer for life lol

There is no way in hell that ancient beer was brewed from a yeast infection, that's just pure nasty
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Just a quick update... the beer is fermenting nicely but I am having pc issues that are not allowing me to post pics. I am planning on re-formatting this weekend and should be able to post them.
                          Al

Comment

Working...
                          X