salt brine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salt brine question

I usually smoke smaller fish like trout and catfish.I use approx 1 1/2 gals of water and add enough salt to float one of the fish and 1/2 bottle of molasses.I was given some salmon to smoke,and it's in much bigger pieces than the smaller fish I do.Would I have to increase the amount of salt added to the same amount of water to make up for the bigger pieces?I hope that makes sence.And thanks for your time again.

This is really a question for BBally, but I'll take a shot. If you are using the same amount of water the salt amount would remain the same. You will have the same brine concentration, If you use more water, keep your ratios for the brine ingredients the same. Increase everything else the same % that you increase the water.
    Last edited by Mark R; 09-24-2011, 03:36 PM.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

No...but you will need to increase brine time.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        No...but you will need to increase brine time.
        Ohhhh, yea...that - too!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Ever consider a dry brine? Kosher salt alone or with sugar and or brown sugar?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Ever consider a dry brine? Kosher salt alone or with sugar and or brown sugar?
            Wet brines are more suited to large quantities of meat/fish. It's the commercial method of choice because you can do massive quans with min fuss. But they are timed and calulated for a commercial process. I only use dry myself.
            Enough salt/brown sugar 75/25 to thinly cover meat side of fillets.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the answers.I was concerned that more lbs of fish would absorb more of the salt in the water and there would'nt be enough to go around.I would try a dry rub but I don't have enough fridge space to lay that much out and cover it.And I guess the final results are the same.Thanks again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Wet brines are more suited to large quantities of meat/fish. It's the commercial method of choice because you can do massive quans with min fuss. But they are timed and calulated for a commercial process. I only use dry myself.
                Enough salt/brown sugar 75/25 to thinly cover meat side of fillets.
                I've done close to 50 pounds of salmon in salt/sugar brine in a big 172 quart Igloo cooler. Works like a charm, just gotta make sure you get them out on time. I'm a dry briner anymore also, but there are some great wet brines as well.

I would also suggest letting them sit about 2 hours on the smoking racks out of the smoker & letting the pellicle form, which is like a shiny coating that forms on the fish. I even used to put a fan on em when doing large batches to help with the drying process.

Good luck..... What kinda wood are you using
                sigpic

Comment

I did the pellicle thing on some trout I smoked yesterday,they turned out great.I will be doing that tomorrow morning for the salmon.I use apple wood seein as I have 12 of them in the yard and they keep shedding branches.I have a plum tree thats comming down soon so i will be trying that also.

Comment

Apple's great on fish. I have some Plum also, but have not yet tried on fish, probably similar to Apple I "wood" think... (That's not really funny, but couldn't pass on it)
                    sigpic

Comment

Update on the salmon smoke:I used 1 1/2 cups of salt for each of 2 gals. of water and 8oz. of full flavored mollasses.Brined them for 16 hrs. Did the fan thing for an hour and gottem in the smoker.120 for 1 1/2 hours then up to 150 for a couple more hours then 180-200 for the duration,total of 6 hrs.Went to 155 IT.At first taste when they came out they were real salty and not much flavor in the meat.Layered the slabs between paper plates and paper towels and into ziplock bags for 1 1/2 days and now the flavor is GREAT and the salty flavor evened out just right.So first salmon smoke a success!Thanks for the tips and info. RDemler

Comment

Originally posted by rdemler View Post
                        Update on the salmon smoke:I used 1 1/2 cups of salt for each of 2 gals. of water and 8oz. of full flavored mollasses.Brined them for 16 hrs. Did the fan thing for an hour and gottem in the smoker.120 for 1 1/2 hours then up to 150 for a couple more hours then 180-200 for the duration,total of 6 hrs.Went to 155 IT.At first taste when they came out they were real salty and not much flavor in the meat.Layered the slabs between paper plates and paper towels and into ziplock bags for 1 1/2 days and now the flavor is GREAT and the salty flavor evened out just right.So first salmon smoke a success!Thanks for the tips and info. RDemler
                        Did you rinse them after your brining session? .... The salt on the outside after wet brining can be pretty strong without a rinse..... I also do the ziplock bags with paper towels (never tried paper plates good tip) for a couple days (changing the paper towels now & then) to draw out the excess moisture, especially before vac packing & freezing. It sure helps to get the texture & moisture content that you want...... Congrats!.... Sounds like they are awesome
                        sigpic

Comment

yup,just a light rinse.and the paper plates kept them from stickin together.

Comment

Working...
                          X