Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find any shrooms sittin on the couch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find any shrooms sittin on the couch.

Not exactly "Wild Game" but wild none the less.

Got me a few nice heads of "Hen of the woods" yesterday. Cut off some ends and into the dehydrator they went. Will keep these for soup/stews this Winter.
    If you haven't been out lookin yet, times a wastin.

https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

here is what a hen of the woods looks like on the west coast they are a different mushroom then what you picked they are good to eat but I have never eaten them

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Your right..!! If I did not get my ass off the couch today I would have never found those very rare 16oz. sliced button mushrooms today...

Wish we had shrooms like that here.. But not in the North Texas Area..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

All the rain we're getting is making mushrooms pop up everywhere. Just seen on the news that 2 people ate "death caps" and both of their livers shut down. They didn't know the difference. They almost died. Doctors tried some medicine that's still in trial phases, and saved their lives. Crazy. Sorry for getting off topic. Lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Comment

maybe shrooms here tomorrow after this rain & front moves through. hard to concentrate on shrooms when i keep seein' deer & turkey on the back 40.
          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
          cast iron Hibachi
          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
          & rotisserator
          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
          my music recordings-
          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Nice!

I found these this weekend....took a picture and left them alone.

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Mags, it looks as if you may have a Bolletes there. If so, them are some very sought after shrooms. If you go back, get a close up clear shot of it and a good pic of the underside.

Comment

After hunting Sat morning I took a look around for shrooms. I took pics of 5 or 6 to identify later. I'll do that today. Not confident enough to pick them yet. I'll post the pics in a bit.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                  Mags, it looks as if you may have a Bolletes there. If so, them are some very sought after shrooms. If you go back, get a close up clear shot of it and a good pic of the underside.
                  They were still there this weekend. Some new ones coming up and the ones there before have now turned brown where they were red.

Also found these little puff ball looking thingys Some where white and some where brown. I didn't get a pic on the brown ones.

Found this funny looking one, too

And these...

And not a good shot of these...they were too far off the path way for me to go to right now....copperheads are still out.

Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

How do you tell if they're good eats and not poisonous? Never educated myself in finding mushrooms, but they are delicious.
                    Don

Humphrey's Pint
                    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                    Anova One Sous Vide
                    AMPS
                    Purple Thermapen
                    Maverick ET-733
                    DigIQ DX2
                    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                      They were still there this weekend. Some new ones coming up and the ones there before have now turned brown where they were red.

Also found these little puff ball looking thingys Some where white and some where brown. I didn't get a pic on the brown ones.
                      The top ones are NOT Boletes like I thought previously. Boletes have a porous underside, no gills like the one you have. Not sure what they are. If you have an abundance of shrooms in your area and are interested in learning more, see what I mentioned to tadowdaddy below, the books and online forums. Not sure what the other ones you posted are but the puffballs are just that, puffballs. Gem studded puffballs. Very edible. These can be white to light tan in color. When sliced in half, the insides should be PURE WHITE. Off white or tan indicates that they have past their prime and will NOT be good for cooking. Something I just found out about these. If you separate the base from the bulb on these, the bases are supposed to have a taste very similar to Morels.

That one really veiny one looks really cool. Is it dried up?

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
                      How do you tell if they're good eats and not poisonous? Never educated myself in finding mushrooms, but they are delicious.
                      Have your mother in law try them first....
                      Just kidding......Or am I...
                      Seriously, a good book is the best place to start. The two best ones out there are.

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
                      by Gary A. Lincoff, Gary H. Lincoff, Carol Nehring

and

Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America, A Field-to-kitchen Guide by David W. Fischer and Alan E. Bessette.

Both can be found online.

Another thing is to check local/state online mushroom hunting clubs. Most states have one.
                      http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...play.php?f=114

http://www.morels.com/blog/?p=993

There are SEVERAL very good edible shrooms in YOUR area. Best thing to do is start with the most common ones and work your way from there as you get a better understanding of what to look for. Best thing about the commonly found shrooms is there are NO DANGEROUS look alikes.
                      Morels, puffballs (one bad puffball but easily identifiable, the pigskin puffball) Sulfur shelf mushrooms aka Chicken Mushrooms, Hen of the woods and a few more. These are in abundance in your area but probably past the best harvest time now. Study up for next year I guarantee you if you invest a little time now, you will find a good crop next year...

Comment

That one really veiny one looks really cool. Is it dried up?
                        Yes, it was dry...almost paper thin. Didn't find any different ones this weekend but a friend found these that she says are Turkey tail mushrooms

And she found this growing on a tree.

Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

I seen that big white one growing on a tree side last year in my dads woods. Lots of cool pics

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                            And she found this growing on a tree.

Yuppers, them is Turkey tails. We had a mld rain this week and I found some awesome specimens when I was out checking deer stands. Absolutely picture perfect one. Wish I would have had my camera.

That white one looks like bears tooth or bearded tooth mushroom. Very edible. Look online if you choose to harvest it as there are several good recipes for using them. THAT is a good find. Take note though that you want to harvest it when it is still young and in the growing stage. If it starts to dry out or start to turn yellowish, it will be bitter and best leave it alone until it fruits again the following year.

Comment

That white one looks like bears tooth or bearded tooth mushroom. Very edible.
                              Hot damn, I got ONE right!
                              I was gonna post that as my guestimate, but givin my track record I held back! Cool.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X