Snacking Bread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snacking Bread?

A lady I know on Facebook posted this awsome bread with cheese spilling out of it last night. I haven't stopped thinking about it. She actually bought it at a bakery in California. NO FAIR!

Well I just had to make bread.. So I made a triple batch of Italian Feather Bread with almost all Caputo 00 (I was out of King Arther!) and added a cup of semolina and a handful of rye for additional flavor.

Why 3 batches? OOPPS! When I went to measure my yeast I accidentally grabbed the tablespoon instead of the teaspoon and not wanting to waste the yeast I trippled the batch. I buy yeast in 1 pound bags so I have to measure it. I guys at work will help me eat it! Here is the basic recipe I play with.

Italian Feather Bread With Whey
    1 cup warm water (100°F to 115°F)
    2 packages active dry yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    5 1/3 tablespoons butter cut in small pieces
    3/4 cup hot whey or milk (120°F)
    2 teaspoons salt
    5 1/2 to 6 cups sifted flour
    1 to 2 teaspoons butter and cornmeal for sprinkling
    1 egg white lightly beaten

Combine water yeast and sugar – let stand until yeast dissolves and begins to proof (becomes bubbly). Meanwhile melt butter in hot whey and let cool until lukewarm. Add salt, then combine to yeast mixture. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon, ass flour 1 cup at a time until dough almost comes away from the sides of the bowl (dough may be soft and stick-it will stabilize). Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface, then scrape under the flour and dough. Fold dough over and press. Continue until dough had absorbed enough flour and is easy to handle.
    Knead for 3 to 5 minutes keeping hands well floured. When the dough is soft and smooth let it rest for 5 minutes. Divided dough into 2 pieces. Roll each half into a rectangle about 12 x 8. Roll the dough starting from the wide end tightly pinching the ends.
    Butter one or two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place loaves on sheets and let rise until doubled (50 – 60 minutes). Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush with beaten egg white and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until the loaves are a rich golden color and make a hollow sound when tapped with your knuckles.
    Cool on a wire rack and slice while fresh.

-----------------------------------------

I have no idea at this point what I am making it'll come to me as a go along. OKay here's what we got so far ...

I carmelized a bunch of onions chopped really fine and added a few spoons of my canned smoke/roasted red peppers.

Started out by dividing the dough into 4 pieces - here are 2 of them. about 20 ounces each.

First bread wanted to highlight the onions so I smeared the dough with about 2 tablespoons of EVOO because it was made for Italian bread! Then added some finely chopped fresh oregano, basil and a few good pinches of kosher salt to the mix smeared the onion and pepper mix on the bread.

Second bread I smeared the dough with about 2 tablespoons of EVOO, took the leftover onion and added about 4 tablespoons of my roasted red peppers to highlight the pepper flavor, salt, oregano and basil.

The third bread I smearded with EVOO, laid in a layer of provalone cheese then smeared with my red roasted peppers, Tomaoe paste (the tube kind), roast garlic paste (The tube kind) oregano and basil.

The fourth I forgot to take pictures of - sorry! It was grated pepperoni, tomatoe paste (from the tube), roast garlic paste (from the tube) and roasted red peppers with oregano and basil.

Now they will rise again for a while before baking.

Smokers:
    ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
    SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
    River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

All baked now just have to cool a bit. Tried to get them out but way to hot to handle yet.

One looks like it leaked ...

I know what you mean. I could live on bread and be happy but it's not good to do that.

Really hard to tell them apart in the pictures so I will only post one of them. This is onion, pepper and cheese. They are all excelent!

Here's the whole lot after slicing a hunk off each ...

Not sure which I like the best but I will say 1/2 a slice of each was plenty for dinner!
    Smokers:
    ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)

Comment

Took 3 loaves to work and the guys inhaled them in less than 30 minutes and I had to promise to screw up measuring my yeast again sometime soon.
      Smokers:

Comment

Neat deal....A place up road years back did pizza sorta like that....it was kind of a cross between a stromboli and what you posted....Unfortunately Vito is doing hard time or i would try get recipe...

Comment

Great looking bread Debi. We did some a while back with smoked cheddar and carmelized onions for rolls and with all you put in the it must have tasted fantastic
          Scarbelly

Comment

Working...
          X