Fish mis-cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish mis-cakes

After seeing the thread earlier on fish cakes, I figured I'd have a go at it. I definitely used way too much potatoes in the mix, the fish flavor was hardly there. I also simmered the fish for 20 minutes to get some of the salt out, but I should have just let it soak overnight instead of being in a rush to try these out. My fish of choice was frozen cod and pollack fillets, probably not a good choice to begin with. Should have used some fresh fish. Also, use very little oil in your pan, I found that the Panko breading sucked up too much of the oil leaving a heavy greasy aftertaste on my tongue. The texture could have been a bit more solid. Less potato, less heavy cream and more seasonings would have been a better ratio I think.

sigpic

By the looks of them, you had too much oil & heat was too high?????

Good post Grue and thanks for being honest in your comments, as we all can learn from this .... I have fried quite a few "fritters or patties" of this nature being in seafood country & I would agree with cutting down the oil..... I like to either go straight butter of 50/50 mix butter & EVOO for frying them & keep the butter or butter/oil just coating the bottom of the pan. Temp is key also, too low & the butter/oil totally soaks in.... Too hot and they get dark brown/black really quick.... On my cooktop anyways, the magic spot is about 1/2 way between medium & medium/high.... I like to let the pan with oil in it heat up pretty good also, otherwise if you put them on with the oil/butter too cold they will just sit in it - soak it up & be heavy, soggy & greasy instead of light & crispy..... Another way we sometimes will make them is to form patties, dip in egg wash, then Ritz cracker crumbs, drizzle with some butter & bake them @ 500 for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
    sigpic

Comment

I take small pieces and toss in as the oil is heating to see how the "fry". When I like the bubbles, I work the groceries.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        When I like the bubbles, I work the groceries.

thats one way a putting it...

do some patties up here too, we use cracker crumbs and egg. fry in butter and oil. tell the truth dont look much different then yours. make up some home made tarter sauce to go along and heck yeah i bet they go good...
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X