Wood Vs Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Vs Charcoal

I smoke with this rf isulated cabinet smoker that I built.

All my smokes that I have done I have always used charcoal (minion method) for fuel and wood chunks for smoke. A guy at work just gave me a bunch of recently cut hickory and apple wood. I would like to try a all wood smoke (no charcoal). If I burn it down to coals and add small amounts of wood to maintain temp will my meat come out to "smokey". Do any of you guys smoke with just wood? I want to smoke a turkey in the next week or two (I want practice up for turkey day) I was thinking about trying this out. Is this a bad idea?

THE KING OF THUNDERBOAT ROW!

Linky no worky for me.
    MES 30"
    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
    Weber 22" kettle
    E-Z-Que rotisserie
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Big Weber Gasser
    Cracker Smoker
    UDS

Comment

bunch of people just use wood - but generally in the larger offset type smokers.

Not sure how that would work in a cabinet smoker.

But on the positive side hickory and apple wood is great for smoking with charcoal - so you can't really lose :-)
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

If your cabinet smoker is vertical (link to pic does not work), I would think you would need to use a mix of wood and coal! Wood might burn to hot and fast in a vertical.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

not sure why the link didn't I will retry

0406111451.jpg

THE KING OF THUNDERBOAT ROW!

Comment

You CAN do that but likely you'll need a burn pit/barrel. Wood burnt to coals is not the same as charcoal. No where near the BTU's there. You'll need to ash your box and keep a pretty steady feed of coals to do as you wish.

Vermillion eh? A Sailor? Got many relatives there on the Hunky side.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Plain and simple...To use all wood you need to have a live fire...In a cab smoker...ya probably cant pull that off...use it the way it was meant to be used and enjoy...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X