Duck Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Recipes?

I just shot a few wood ducks this morning, and was wondering if anybody has any good recipes for smoking them?

Wally

I've done duck several times... I always brined.

The duck I brined over night in a solution of pickling spices, brown sugar, salt, garlic juice, lemon juice, brought to a boil and added ice water till it covered the duck...

In the morning took the duck out, rinsed it off, got my fire going on the smoker and boiled the brine again... this I used in my water tray in the smoker.
    OKJoe's Longhorn Combo ►Traeger 575 Bronze ►Weber Q series
    ThermaPEN-Mk4 ►MEATERx2 ►FireBoard|||| and SPARK► Smokin-it Smoke Generator► INKBIRD Sous Vide► GrillGrates
    and accessories out the ying-yang

Comment

I have never had wild duck that tastes very good to me. No matter what I do to them they always taste like wild duck. Making jerky is about the only way so far that I can enjoy eating them. Now farm raised duck is a different story.
      Propane Smoke Shack
      UDS
      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
      sigpic

Comment

My buddies family stuffs them with stuffing and puts some seasoning on them and then bake them and they love them. I have tried that and they still taste like wild duck. I guess I just don't really care for them. I can eat them but it isn't anything that I would request to eat. Good luck.
        Propane Smoke Shack
        UDS
        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, mine were not wild duck... maybe a longer brine than 24hrs would be a thought...
          OKJoe's Longhorn Combo ►Traeger 575 Bronze ►Weber Q series
          ThermaPEN-Mk4 ►MEATERx2 ►FireBoard|||| and SPARK► Smokin-it Smoke Generator► INKBIRD Sous Vide► GrillGrates
          and accessories out the ying-yang

Comment

wood ducks are not the very best of eating ducks, always a little swampy taste to them. but they are wild ducks so they should not be expected to taste like a domestic duck.

have never smoked any but have roasted them with wild rice stuffing... i find the wood ducks taste better with the skin removed... the mallards and teal are a much better tasting duck than the wood ducks, at least from this area.
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Never much cared for duck, but have shot several of them. Not wanting to waste them, I have ground them up before and mixed with ground turkey along with a pack of liptons onion soup mix and made burgers out of them. Were pretty good then

I remember my grandmother would stuff a turkey with wild ducks my uncle shot.

I'd say a good brine followed by a low and slow smoke or oven roasted
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I've sliced the Breast,And marinated in Hi-Mountain Ginger Teriyaki Jerky cure and smoked.Turned out ok for a Duck.
                sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Here's what I can add. I have done duck on the grill and the smoker. I have done wild duck (greenheads) and Long Island Duck from the store. I have never done or had wood duck.

My personal opinion is that a grilled duck is slightly better than a smoked duck. It is certainly much faster. The key is to score the skin but don't cut into the meat so you can render the fat. Grill it over hight heat, like 550-600 and move them and flip them as the duck fat will certainly get the fire going.

I use an orange juice/soy or teriyaki/garlic type marinade. It works very well. I was sworn to secracy on that recipe though. However, search for my Huli chicken recipe and I think that would be very good as well, perhaps add some orange juice.

Here's a link to a post I did a long time ago on duck: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...highlight=duck

Lastly, I will tell you however you end up cooking it, be careful when you chew. It's not uncommon to find some shot in the meat and you don't want to break a tooth.

P.S. when I smoked one, it was a 6lb duck. Did it at 280° to an internal temp in the breast of 165. It took 5 hours. If you grill it, 20 minutes and better skin which I love.
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                    I have never had wild duck that tastes very good to me. No matter what I do to them they always taste like wild duck. Making jerky is about the only way so far that I can enjoy eating them. Now farm raised duck is a different story.
                    Yeah pretty much the conclusion we came to on wild duck. Not only is there bugger all meat on them, but they just don't seem to tbe worth the trouble taste wise.

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                    Here's what I can add. I have done duck on the grill and the smoker. I have done wild duck (greenheads) and Long Island Duck from the store. I have never done or had wood duck.

My personal opinion is that a grilled duck is slightly better than a smoked duck. It is certainly much faster. The key is to score the skin but don't cut into the meat so you can render the fat. Grill it over hight heat, like 550-600 and move them and flip them as the duck fat will certainly get the fire going.

I use an orange juice/soy or teriyaki/garlic type marinade. It works very well. I was sworn to secracy on that recipe though. However, search for my Huli chicken recipe and I think that would be very good as well, perhaps add some orange juice.

Here's a link to a post I did a long time ago on duck: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...highlight=duck

Lastly, I will tell you however you end up cooking it, be careful when you chew. It's not uncommon to find some shot in the meat and you don't want to break a tooth.

P.S. when I smoked one, it was a 6lb duck. Did it at 280° to an internal temp in the breast of 165. It took 5 hours. If you grill it, 20 minutes and better skin which I love.
                    Well if you want a decent teriyaki marinade.
                    equal amounts of orange juice and ketchup.
                    half the amount of dark soy sauce,
                    half the soy sauce amount of worcestershire.
                    And garlic powder and cbp to taste.
                    And if I was doing wild duck I'd be inclined to add a little cure #1 as well.
                    Say half the stated amount for the weight of duck.
                    And I'd probably only use the breasts and legs/thighs.

marinade overnight in a sealed plastic tub - shaking vigorously every time you go near the fridge.

A little cure in a marinade realy helps tenderise and flavourise the meat
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

As others stated, orange juice works very well with wild duck. In the past, I've stuffed them (skinned them first) with orange wedges, "painted" thawed orange juice over it, then wrap with bacon. Didnt smoke, but rather roasted them in the oven.

To kill the "gamey" taste, try soaking in buttermilk or a water and salt brine, overnight in the frig.

http://www.texashuntworks.com/index..../Bleeding.html
                      sigpic

Comment

I have tried everything known to man, and they still taste like liver to me.
                        But I have found if I soak them in italian dressing chunked up, then wrap in bacon they are great. Makeing jerky is my other option, but still give most of my ducks and geese away.
                        My food WAS a vegaterian!!
                        Death Row Outfitters

Comment

Working...
                        X