Oak Smoked, Chipotle Garlic L.P. Stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Smoked, Chipotle Garlic L.P. Stripers

Well my pard Bassman generally spends most of his time at Lake Powell this time of year and with the success we've been having smoking trout, we gave a little test batch of his last catch of stripers a try. Used the same process as the trout which is a good shake of soy sauce, a good sprinkling of brown sugar, then a 3 hour brine using 1.5 C water, 1/8 C kosher salt, and 1/2 t. cure #1, then a good shaking of chipotle garlic salt, Rinse well after brine, re-shake of the chipotle, then a three stage smoke after pellicle has formed - 1 hour at 90*, 1 hour at 150*, then 180* for another 1-2 hours. These were much thicker than the little bastage trout I've been smoking.

In the smoker

Outta the smoker

And bagged for the Go/No Go from Bassman

Very similar to the trout on the taste - trout definitely have more oil.
    Hey Keith, did I ever tell ya about the fish jerky I was going to make...??

Thanks for checking out my post. Would be interested in some "white fish" smoking processes if anyone has them.

Tracey
    Last edited by WALLE; 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM.

Look really sweet Tracey.....
    Last edited by Fishawn; 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

MMmmmm, I think those will be "Bassman Approved"

Nice job Tracey.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

As usual, nice work!!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Looks fantastic!! Care to send some this way?
          Don

Humphrey's Pint
          Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
          Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
          Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
          Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
          Anova One Sous Vide
          AMPS
          Purple Thermapen
          Maverick ET-733
          DigIQ DX2
          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

dawg gone it... i thought the title said smoked strippers

last weekend while fishing for crappie i laid into 4 stripers the smallest was 3" the largest was 4", i got another yesterday that was about 3 1/2". all were returned with a little wear and tear but they should be large enough to smoke in a couple of years.

your smoked striper looks great, looking forward to trying this out on aome yellow perch this winter as they get fat
            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Damn, Tracey! Those look beautiful. If they taste anywhere near as good as the trout, I'm heading for Powell this weekend. Of course, I may go anyway. I'll try to bring back a boatload of stripers for you to practice different flavors on.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Look great! Were they kinda dry? Tried smoking crappies once, and wasnt impressed with the results.
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

looks great - have some fish

and crusty in what universe is a 4lb fish not big enough to smoke ?
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Num Num Num!!
                    Propane Smoke Shack
                    UDS
                    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

those fish measured in inches, wee little tykes. i am guessing 150 cm or so?? give them a couple of years, then i will invite them over for dinner
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Surely, that's why God made fish.

Jeez man, that is a beautiful smoke of fish.

When I was a kid, my grandfather owned a fish smoking company. His main fish for commercial purposes was whiting, but he also did custom smoking for sportsman. As I recall, he did stripers quite often. He smoked all his fish over oak.

I worked there one summer and got to try just about everything that came through, from giant swordfish, sharks, and salmon to tiny sardine sized surf fish. As the saying goes, it's all good.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                          MMmmmm, I think those will be "Bassman Approved"

Nice job Tracey.
                          Hey MH - dunno yet... Keith wouldn't answer his phone this morning.. so I just up and went to his house! When he wakes up, I think he'll give them a try and let us know

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                          Look great! Were they kinda dry? Tried smoking crappies once, and wasnt impressed with the results.
                          Thanks, IC - nope, they turned out good. The real thin piece at the end was a little dried out, but the middles are good to go.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

Thanks, CA!

Sounds like an awesome time growing up, Wntrlnd - any idea what he used on the white fish?

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                            Sounds like an awesome time growing up, Wntrlnd - any idea what he used on the white fish?
                            The whiting was soaked in a salt brine. I'm not really sure about the recipe he used, unfortunately.

I think it was 40 years ago this past summer I worked that job. At the time it never occurred to me to pay closer attention to details. D'oh!

We also occasionally made pickled sausages for bar supply companies. Man, I loved those sausages! Again, about the recipe.

I've been reading threads in this Fish section for a while now. I seriously need to get to smokin' some fish. When I saw this post of yours I said, damn, I gotta get busy!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                              those fish measured in inches, wee little tykes. i am guessing 150 cm or so?? give them a couple of years, then i will invite them over for dinner
                              you throw back the little ones that are 4 foot 11 inches (150cm)
                              how many of you does it take to land the 'big' ones ?
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X