Heck of a Deal- New Pellet Pooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heck of a Deal- New Pellet Pooper

As I posted in the wrong forum last night (electric smokers forum), my buddy called me after having a garage sale this weekend. Knowing I love to use my smokers (WSM and MES) he told me his buddy who is currently going through a divorce had a pellet smoker at his place that didn't sell at the garage sale. Well, I stopped by to look at it tonight to see if I could replace my MES, and here's what I found:

Sorry in advance for the pic quality, I only had my phone with me:

So what we have here is a Traeger Texas Grill. This particular one was purchased in early 2008, and has been used only two times. Otherwise, it's sat in a garage. I asked what his buddy wanted for it, and was told $200. I offered $150, and it's mine. The main problem I see with it is that it's the older model, so it only has the option of High, Medium, and Smoke (Manual Control). It doesn't have a digital control. Thoughts?? Was this a good purchase? Any recommendations as to how to best control cooking temp?

Thanks!
    Last edited by tadowdaddy; 06-23-2012, 08:01 PM.
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

I have not had much experience with them, but from what I remember reading & hearing the older ones were made in USA & heavier gauge steel. You might be able to retro a new digital control in that baby also if you wanted..... I would have bought it also. .... I do have a friend that bought one about a year ago (China made) & he's had problems with his fire going out & the control box not working correctly but did say the customer service was good.
    sigpic

Comment

Hell ya I would have paid that for it...And as Scott mentioned I think they can be upgraded....

Comment

Helluva deal if you are in to the pellet gig. I have this model

The digital ones are a little tempermental. I got mine for $500 bucks and had it in the shop twice already. I don't use it a whole bunch, but my favorite thing to cook on it is chicken breasts. For some reason they just come out perfect every time. Good luck! Try different brands of pellets too. Also, DO NOT EVER leave pellets in them when you are not using the smoker. That is one of the reasons mine ended up in the shop. If they get moist they swell up and clog it up to a point you can't clean it out without taking it apart. You may have better luck than me, but for what you paid for it, get on it!

Comment

I did call Traeger and gave them the serial number, and sure enough, it was built in the USA in late 2007. I don't think I'll worry about upgrading to digital yet. The guy on the phone told me the smoke setting is for 180-200 degrees, medium is 225-275 degrees, and high is 350-400 degrees. I'll probably try it out and fluctuate between medium and smoke to keep the temp where I like it (225-250).

I need to get rid of the pellets that have been evidentally sitting in it since 2009 as it sat in my buddy's friend's garage. Going to be looking online to purchase new pellets soon. Also now have to clean up the MES and put it on Craig's List for $100.... This has me very excited!
          Don

Humphrey's Pint
          Anova One Sous Vide
          AMPS
          Purple Thermapen
          Maverick ET-733
          DigIQ DX2
          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Excellent score there. I woulda scooped it up,too.
            MES 30"
            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
            Weber 22" kettle
            E-Z-Que rotisserie
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Big Weber Gasser
            Cracker Smoker
            UDS

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
              I did call Traeger and gave them the serial number, and sure enough, it was built in the USA in late 2007. I don't think I'll worry about upgrading to digital yet. The guy on the phone told me the smoke setting is for 180-200 degrees, medium is 225-275 degrees, and high is 350-400 degrees. I'll probably try it out and fluctuate between medium and smoke to keep the temp where I like it (225-250).

I need to get rid of the pellets that have been evidentally sitting in it since 2009 as it sat in my buddy's friend's garage. Going to be looking online to purchase new pellets soon. Also now have to clean up the MES and put it on Craig's List for $100.... This has me very excited!
              I'd be excited too! ..... I'm thinking about going the pellet route also for the winter time as you mentioned... I'm jealous

And Squirrel, you are now officially labled as a redneck, you know that right

Sent once again telepathically via The Amazing Kreskin
              sigpic

Comment

The guy on the phone told me the smoke setting is for 180-200 degrees, medium is 225-275 degrees, and high is 350-400 degrees. I'll probably try it out and fluctuate between medium and smoke to keep the temp where I like it (225-250).
                I would be willing to bet that the only thing that is regulated by the smoke-medium-high setting is auger RPM regardless of the temp. I'd run it on medium and monitor it with a trusted thermometer to see what it's range is. Run it empty and see how hot it gets on medium.

If you have any amount of meat on it at all, it I'd bet it wouldn't get too close to 275° until towards the end of the smoke when the meat temp is rising and losing its ability to act as a heat sink.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part and I might be full of crap but it's worth a try.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  Of course this is pure speculation on my part and I might be full of crap but it's worth a try.

Dave
                  X2....
                  sigpic

Comment

Also now have to clean up the MES and put it on Craig's List for $100....
                    Living in Michigan that MES can come in handy on cool winter days, just saying and trying to put a bug in your head!
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                      Living in Michigan that MES can come in handy on cool winter days, just saying and trying to put a bug in your head!
                      That's what I've used it for in the past, but I think this Traeger could do the same. I don't park in the detached garage so I have no issue with opening the garage door and having the smoker sheltered in the winter time. I think this thing could be just as good as the MES. I'm also catching hell from the wife for having 2 charcoal grills, the MES, the WSM, and my monster propane Weber. Gotta get rid of something, probably one of the charcoal and the MES. Will keep the Weber Kettle, the Weber propane, and this Traeger.
                      Don

Humphrey's Pint
                      Anova One Sous Vide
                      AMPS
                      Purple Thermapen
                      Maverick ET-733
                      DigIQ DX2
                      Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

My brother over in Texas recently picked up a not-so-cheap Fast Eddy's/Cookshack pellet pooper/grill. This one has the electronic controls that allows for a slow smoke for a brisket etc. or grilling up a steak or burgers. He loves it.

For the price you picked up that Traeger,

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                        Paul

Comment

That's what I've used it for in the past, but I think this Traeger could do the same. I don't park in the detached garage so I have no issue with opening the garage door and having the smoker sheltered in the winter time. I think this thing could be just as good as the MES. I'm also catching hell from the wife for having 2 charcoal grills, the MES, the WSM, and my monster propane Weber. Gotta get rid of something, probably one of the charcoal and the MES. Will keep the Weber Kettle, the Weber propane, and this Traeger.
                          Completely understandable; I do not agree, I am a guy... but I understand.
                          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                            I would be willing to bet that the only thing that is regulated by the smoke-medium-high setting is auger RPM regardless of the temp. I'd run it on medium and monitor it with a trusted thermometer to see what it's range is. Run it empty and see how hot it gets on medium.

If you have any amount of meat on it at all, it I'd bet it wouldn't get too close to 275° until towards the end of the smoke when the meat temp is rising and losing its ability to act as a heat sink.

Dave
                            That's the plan, gonna run it for a while and see what happens! No need to spend any money on digital before I even know what it'll do.
                            Don

Humphrey's Pint
                            Anova One Sous Vide
                            AMPS
                            Purple Thermapen
                            Maverick ET-733
                            DigIQ DX2
                            Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                              Completely understandable; I do not agree, I am a guy... but I understand.
                              I'm having a beer right now as I type this too... We're looking to buy a new house, so I won't have an unused garage in the new place where I can just store all my toys and other junk. We'll have something attached that we both park in. Just preparing for the future and the lack of room that I'll have as opposed to now.
                              Don

Humphrey's Pint
                              Anova One Sous Vide
                              AMPS
                              Purple Thermapen
                              Maverick ET-733
                              DigIQ DX2
                              Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X