Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Five Course last outdoor bbq of the season with mystery desserts :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Course last outdoor bbq of the season with mystery desserts :-)

So last week we had a serious heatwave. Hottest september and october days since records began. Nights stayed warm as well.

Definitely the last outdoor bbq of the year. So decided to make it a good one.
    rabbit dave and his partner came - just the three of us, but no reason not to fill the smoker right ? Right !
    And anyway the next day I was on for 4 rugby games and wanted food already done :-)

So we started out with some basic abts: japs, low fat mature cheddar (doesn't melt much tastes great), mango and prosciutto.

Started the outlaw in smoker mode for ribs, corn and the abts.

When the abts were pretty much done, added some sardines dave had brought, sprinkle of MH and splash of lime juice.

Abts came off for first course, while sardines, second course were cooking.

Sardines got eaten without pics - well it's messy fingerfood lol
    Were really good.

Once sardines were eaten, converted the outlaw to grill mode.
    Which simply entails lifting out charcoal basket, coverig that half with layer of charcoal and tipping burning coals from nasket over new charcoal and replacing the grates. Takes about 15 mins to get up to speed.

Ribs now finishing off at higher temp and on the cooling rack over the coals.
    Moroccan style sausages and lemon marinated pork shoulder steaklets, now on the grill.

Once suasgaes and steaklets were cooked, everything out and in the chafing dish while we demolished the corn for the 3rd starter :-)

1) coleslaw
    2) garlic bread
    3) marinated, slightly cured, ribs
    4) moroccan style sausages
    5) lemon marinated, slightly cured, pork shoulder steaklets
    6) My corn on the cobb :-)

Now while we were eating the maincourse, I put the mystery puds in the outlaw.
    All dave and gail knew about these was this:

Well you've got to have a bit of food theatre :-)
    They had no idea what was in them till they opened them. Which was kinda cool :-)

Contents didn't quite match the expectation I thought lol
    Although dave and gail were impressed :-)

So what was in the tray ?
    Well originally I was going to make foil pouches with pineapple and sugar.
    Then remembered I had a catering pack of the small foil trays.

Started by coring a pineapple. If you don't have one of these gadgets - get one !

I had a fair bit of mango left over from the abts so decided to use that as well.

procedure was dead simple:

Added a little brown sugar to the tray, pineapple ring on top. Another layer of sugar, another pineapple ring, added mango chunks. Sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar (leftover from the peach cheesecakes) on top of that. Then added a couple of thin slices of butter and sealed with the lid.
    Went into the outlaw when the grilled food came out. So probably had half an hour plus cooking.

Served them hot with a blob of mascarpone icecream:
    Fruit was cooked to perfection with a really nice thin caramel style sauce.

Huge success

Definitely a repeat item and something that would be equally easy to do in an oven for a dinner party. And no problem with larger numbers either.

It was still warm at 22:00 after our 4 hour leisurely bbq, even had the bats flying round and the bat detector out.

The last outdoor bbq of the year and one of the best
    And plenty of leftovers for me and the dogs on my marathon rugby sunday

Plenty of smokes over the winter and autumn no doubt. But a sit out bbq in october - that's one for the record books !
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

OMG!!! Alex, you finished the BBQ season with mucho awesomeness!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Very nice CA.
      Chargriller Pro w. sfb
      Ducane 4100 propane grill
      Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        OMG!!! Alex, you finished the BBQ season with mucho awesomeness!!!
        ditto.
        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
        cast iron Hibachi
        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
        & rotisserator
        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
        my music recordings-
        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Great job, CA! I'll hit ya with some points on that batch. ABT's look simply awesome!

Last smoke..?? aahh come on! Fall is definitely in the air - snow on the Grand Mesa yesterday. Gotta get a fire built in my fricking heater!!! but WALLE - she's an all weather gal.

Comment

Mystery Pud Been there brutha. tain't a faint memory neeetha.

Awesome job sir. You rock. I never heard of a such thing as BBQ season. Thank goodness we don't have much of a winter in south GA. I'm still in me Daisy Dukies.

Comment

[QUOTE=Squirrel;265223]Mystery Pud Been there brutha. tain't a faint memory neeetha.

Squirrel you are CERTIFIABLE Great looking eats CA.Never had a fresh Sardine.
              sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Great spread mate

sigpic

Comment

Fantastic BBQ Alex. I would have enjoyed being there, to help you close out the season. There will be a time. Everything looked great bud You are happy with the end results, your friends must have been very pleased too.
                  Thanks for sharing
                  Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                  Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Awesomeness is achieved! well deserved.

But I have to ask
                    even had the bats flying round and the bat detector out.

What is a bat detector? ................. and why?
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Belfry?

Sent from my Teletype machine.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Cheers for comments and points
                        Was a good night.

Last smoke..?? aahh come on! Fall is definitely in the air - snow on the Grand Mesa yesterday. Gotta get a fire built in my fricking heater!!! but WALLE - she's an all weather gal.
                        not last smoke - hell no, I cooked in 8 inches of snow last year.
                        Last OUTDOOR bbq.
                        Any others wil be eaten indoors.

Mark a bat detector is a clever little box that converts the ultra high frequency bat calls into audible noises. Very cool. You point in the air and you can track the bats. You can also - to a certain extent - work out what type of bat it is by the frequency of the calls.
                        I have a much older version of this one
                        When I was looking I found the magenta site and realised they were in burton. About 4 miles away :-)
                        Didn't even have to pay postage lol
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Very Nice CA!!!! Im with Squirrell though, BBQ season? Hell, we usually BBQ for Christmas. haha
                          Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

That is the bomb Alex! What a way to finish the season...
                            sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Hah! That is pretty damned impressive sir...looks like the three F's to me. Food , friends and FUN!
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X