pecan shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pecan shells

well it is getting about that time of year that the nuts will be falling and be harvested

I have several shellers near me and was wondering if anyone has ever used or is interested in using any shells for smoking?

email me @ hglover@gmail.com

Welcome to Smoked-Meat..

I have used them with great success.. We call them blows here... How would you sell them?? Per pound of by the box??
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I have about 30 pecan trees on my property and harvest my own. I tried the shells and didn't care for it. Left a bitter flavor. I do, however, use the pecan tree wood. They are very fragile trees the I get tons of limbs down and cut them up for smoking. Gonna get my first of the harvest very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
        I have about 30 pecan trees on my property and harvest my own. I tried the shells and didn't care for it. Left a bitter flavor. I do, however, use the pecan tree wood. They are very fragile trees the I get tons of limbs down and cut them up for smoking. Gonna get my first of the harvest very soon.

And they will too.. It is easy to use to many of them.. Kinda like Mesquite wood.. A little goes a long way..
        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          And they will too.. It is easy to use to many of them.. Kinda like Mesquite wood.. A little goes a long way..
          Feel ya Big Daddy. I guess since I have a generous supply of pecan wood I don't feel the need to use the shells. They actually make a great mulch for me winter pansy garden.

Comment

Who ya callin a pansy?
            Pecan is my #1 favorite wood, but never tried the shells. I might have to buy a couple pounds of nuts and give it a try. I've done pistachio shells and liked it a lot
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
              Who ya callin a pansy?
              Pecan is my #1 favorite wood, but never tried the shells. I might have to buy a couple pounds of nuts and give it a try. I've done pistachio shells and liked it a lot
              Hehehehehe.

I can't help but wonder if the shells aren't a lot like using ANY kinda wood for smoking. Whereas you need to let them age a bit first? Maybe the tannins (not sure that's the right word either) are too strong. Anywho, I think I will let some age a few months before using.

Great thread by the way. Gots me industrial thinking cap on.

Comment

Meemz in Law...is a nut cracker!...Get near 2 paper grocey sacks full bout every year. I use em & like results!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  what he said.
                  i use them too but use them sparingly. hickory hulls work also i use them when i don't feel like chopping wood and gathering them gives the kid something to do.
                  brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                  18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                  cast iron Hibachi
                  22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                  & rotisserator
                  12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                  stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                  Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                  http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                  my music recordings-
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Have used pistaccio and almond but never pecan...Dont see why it wouldnt be good...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

We used to take our pecans to a place that would crack and blow them. We always asked for the hulls back. I bet if you found a place in your are that does that you could maybe get a free bag or two. We father-in-law would use the hulls to smoke the fresh sausage.
                      Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

if any one is willin to pay freight i will be glad to ship them in flat rate box.

Comment

Originally posted by scoggins View Post
                          if any one is willin to pay freight i will be glad to ship them in flat rate box.

Why are you not asking for a little scratch for your troubles??
                          Ken

Comment

thats enough out of you Ken!! I will pay frieght
                            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                            members mark upright propane smoker
                            kingsford bbq
                            23"weber kettle

Comment

Thinking about it

thats enough out of you Ken!! I will pay frieght
                              I was thinking if i really need some as well......

Comment

Working...
                              X