I Smoked SMOKE FREAK's salsa.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Smoked SMOKE FREAK's salsa.....

Canned some more salsa tonight roughly based on SMOKE FREAK (Craigs) recipe, but included Tomatillas & smoked everything for maybe a couple hours with Pecan, except the Cilantro, Lime juice, Tomato paste.... Garden actually produced a pretty good supply of Roma's, decent on the Walla Walla sweet onions and some Jalapenos and Bell peppers... Hopefully next year will be better..... The salsa tasted great, with a little adjustment on the salt & sugar before 15 minute water bath...... Got about 20-24 pints of salsa canned up in storage for the fall/winter..... Only planting Romas next year

Smoked 2 hours in Pecan, here is 2 of the 3 pans, the other has Tomatillas, etc

Run all stuff through food processor, pulsing then into stock pot to simmer & adjust flavors

Load into sterilized hot pint jars, then apply caps & rings & boiling water bath for 15 minutes

Adding to the salsa stash you may see Turmeric stains from sweet pickle canning.... Wife limits me to about 4 kitchen towels now..... I can't touch the nice ones.... WTF?...

Last edited by Fishawn; 10-07-2011, 10:57 PM.
    sigpic

Damn,that looks like an Awesome recipe.Did ya really need the Sugar?Looked pretty good without it.
    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
      Damn,that looks like an Awesome recipe.Did ya really need the Sugar?Looked pretty good without it.
      Just some sugar to cut the smoke flavor a bit maybe??... Might change after canning I'm thinking? ..... I dunno, but I like the basic process, just might have to mess around with it a bit
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        Just some sugar to cut the smoke flavor a bit maybe??... Might change after canning I'm thinking? ..... I dunno, but I like the basic process, just might have to mess around with it a bit
        Looks like a good base for tweaking
        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
          Looks like a good base for tweaking
          I think so..... If you get a chance, you should give it a try
          sigpic

Comment

That's some pretty stuff, Scott. If it tastes half as good as it looks, you have a winner.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Very cool Scott...When I smoke mine I use mesquite and cut the smoking time back to just when the maters start to soften...usually about an hour...Then the skins will just slip off...I like mine chunky so the food processor in my case is a sharp knife...And the limes really take on an interesting flavor when cut in half and grilled cut side down on a hot grill...Sometimes just on the hot side of the smoker will do...And dont forget the smoked garlic...Mighty tasty stuff on a taco or something...But C'MON Scott...Lay off the sugar...That just aint right
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

You have a canning obsession lol that looks killer Scott, I have to learn how to can me some stuff.

Comment

Very nice Scott. I should have made more salsa this year myself. A jar a week so far
                  Not a tomato expert, but I gotta say the Roma variety that ALX told me about a few years back, (Little Mama) are great. Very meaty, very little water. Really good yields.
                  https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Lol... YES I did include smoked garlic Craiger. I think I forgot that, but there is a head and 1/2 in it that was skinned and smoked.... I tried a variation and used a food processor to break it down and added tomato paste to make it thick... I like the consistancy of both the thick and the chunky, so next time thick and chunk??...lol...

Next years garden will only be Romas Todd, and I will try Alex's....

Gary..... The water bath stuff is new to me this year. If you have a fairly large/deep stock pot you can do it. I used to pressure can a lot of fish and its 90 minutes to do a batch, as compared to 10-15. .. Have never done gator though...

SENT VIA THE COORS LIGHT BLOODY MARIE HOTLINE
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Lol... YES I did include smoked garlic Craiger. I think I forgot that, but there is a head and 1/2 in it that was skinned and smoked.... I tried a variation and used a food processor to break it down and added tomato paste to make it thick... I like the consistancy of both the thick and the chunky, so next time thick and chunk??...lol...

Next years garden will only be Romas Todd, and I will try Alex's....

Gary..... The water bath stuff is new to me this year. If you have a fairly large/deep stock pot you can do it. I used to pressure can a lot of fish and its 90 minutes to do a batch, as compared to 10-15. .. Have never done gator though...

SENT VIA THE COORS LIGHT BLOODY MARIE HOTLINE
                      Lol have big ass pot and case of jars, just all the food police have scared me away if I have to use certain recipes. No deal

Sent from a cell phone that is way cooler than yours!! Eat It!! $

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                        Lol have big ass pot and case of jars, just all the food police have scared me away if I have to use certain recipes. No deal

Sent from a cell phone that is way cooler than yours!! Eat It!! $
                        I find it hard to believe that "proven"recipes can be followed to the letter when canning. Tomatoes vary in size as do the size of all veggies. Also the size of the dice determines how much is really in a cup. That said my advise is to pressure can and use times for low acidic/high PH foods.
                        sigpic

GOSM/propane
                        UDS (Cam)/lump
                        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                        Weber Genesis/propane
                        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Working...
                        X