Black Walnuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Walnuts

I have a nice Black Walnut in the front yard. For the last 2 weeks Ive been raking them up as every morning it seems as I have a bushel of "apples" in the yard. Ive never had them before but have read that they are good if properly husked and dried.

Id like to do something with them and not throw them out. Ive read and heard they make great walnut cake. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have one in my back yard and dump two to three 5 gallon buckets of them nasty Lil bastards in the trash..

I have tried doing what you are asking and it has never worked out for me in the 21 years I have lived in this house..

I twist my ankle every time I'm in the back mowing..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Try tossing them in your driveway for a couple weeks. After the tires de-husk them, let the un-cracked ones dry a month or so outta the weather. Then hit them with a hammer, bust your thumb, and realize that the itty-bitty bit of nut meat is mixed with razor-like shards of shells and toss the whole mess out.

Or, do as Ken says.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        I have one in my back yard and dump two to three 5 gallon buckets of them nasty Lil bastards in the trash..

2-3 5 gallon buckets?? Im on my 7th garbage can full....and still getting pelted as Im raking lol This is my first year here in this house and according to neighbors this is a bumper crop of them......I guess that means a bad winter

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Try tossing them in your driveway for a couple weeks. After the tires de-husk them, let the un-cracked ones dry a month or so outta the weather. Then hit them with a hammer, bust your thumb, and realize that the itty-bitty bit of nut meat is mixed with razor-like shards of shells and toss the whole mess out.

Ive heard of that unique way of dehusking them rich....apperntly they do have a strong and good walnut taste to them tho if properly husked and dried

lol Rich, I read of that unique way of dehusking them...They do have a small kernal in them....supposedly tho, if properly dried and husked, good strong walnut taste.

Or, do as Ken says.
        Last edited by StClairSmoke; 10-08-2011, 02:56 PM. Reason: my responce to ritchtee wasent logged

Comment

damn, this mouse has a quick trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by StClairSmoke View Post
            2-3 5 gallon buckets?? Im on my 7th garbage can full....and still getting pelted as Im raking lol This is my first year here in this house and according to neighbors this is a bumper crop of them......I guess that means a bad winter

I guess they don't really care for 100° plus temps in the summer...
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Black walnut makes real nice furiture, Other then that have some one cut it down and pay ya for it... then plant some hickory or pecan if it will grow in your area.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
                Black walnut makes real nice furiture, Other then that have some one cut it down and pay ya for it... then plant some hickory or pecan if it will grow in your area.
                What he said. Sell that puppy and plant a nice hickory. If you're gonna plant a pecan tree, just know they are very fragile and the limbs are constantly breaking off.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
                  What he said.

Or an English Walnut tree if you want walnuts. My parents (since passed away) had 2 big English walnut trees in their front yard.

But honestly, for all the time they spent gathering them up, drying them, hulling them, etc, etc, if I want walnuts, I'd just go to the store.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

never mind...
                    Last edited by ALX; 10-08-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post

I have tried doing what you are asking and it has never worked out for me in the 21 years I have lived in this house..

Well StClair... I guess you're getting the general idea! My old neighbor makes a damn good carrot cake, then fricking ruins it with black walnuts!! Taste like mold to me. Can't stand the "Lil bastards" as Ken puts it!

I don't the wood is even good for smoking...

Comment

Yes, Im getting the idea. Ken definately put it right.....as I type now in the kitchen I can hear them hit the ground out front.

Despite the nusance and staining the concrete, they are a nice tree and like the leafs.

ty for ya'lls input

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                          What he said. Sell that puppy and plant a nice hickory. If you're gonna plant a pecan tree, just know they are very fragile and the limbs are constantly breaking off.
                          like thats a bad thing? a little deadfall pecan rocks.

those walnuts are only goof for a foot slingshot when the cows get too close to the fence and batting practice.
                          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                          cast iron Hibachi
                          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                          & rotisserator
                          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                          my music recordings-
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                            What he said.

Or an English Walnut tree if you want walnuts. My parents (since passed away) had 2 big English walnut trees in their front yard.

But honestly, for all the time they spent gathering them up, drying them, hulling them, etc, etc, if I want walnuts, I'd just go to the store.

Dave
                            Yeah lol picked up a bag of hazelnuts from a friend a year or two back. After, shelling, roasting and grinding I had 1/2 lb of ground roast nuts for about 4 hours of work. Just buy them now

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                            Well StClair... I guess you're getting the general idea! My old neighbor makes a damn good carrot cake, then fricking ruins it with black walnuts!! Taste like mold to me. Can't stand the "Lil bastards" as Ken puts it!

I don't the wood is even good for smoking...
                            No but it's fabulous for wood turning or working. Very tight grain, not too tough, fantastic figuring and colours in the wood. You could probably even use it for carving.

As far as walnuts go I've only ever had then once where they were worth eating.
                            Was in china. They'd deep fried them, covered them in caramel and dipped in roasted sesame seeds. You could hardly taste the walnut at all

But sounds like they'd be perfect bioegradable sling ammo - if you want to give it a try - bung me your address and I'll send you a sling :-) (see animation below)
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I love the flavor of them, a guy I used to work with used to bring them in ( husk removed by driving over them in the grass) surprised the guys got any work done crackin with a hammer on our machines and munchin.

Comment

Working...
                              X