Jackpot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackpot!

I ran around to 3 specialty stores trying to find gouda and other different cheeses and finally found Costco to be my saving grace.
    Rainy and cold makes for some perfect weather to be smoking some cheese. Suggestions for smoke on the guoda and dublinger?
    Attached Files
    MES SS
    Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
    Weber Genesis
    Green Mountain Daniel Boone

Mesquite.....NOT!... Any fruit wood will be good and mild. I also like Pecan, Alder and Hickory... Pecan my favorite. Nice score. Gotta love Costco.
    Last edited by Fishawn; 10-10-2011, 06:54 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

The Guoda is soft and melts easily, so watch the temp closely. Do peel off the wax cover. The Dublinger is much more solid and takes smoke well. I would use a mild wood - apple, maple, pecan or citrus. I think I last used pecan with very nice results. I'd stay away from mesquite or hickory, too heavy!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Right, I've only got hickory, maple and cherry in dust right now. My last batch I went with hickory for cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarella. Cheddar was good, pepper jack not so.....haven't had the mozzarella yet. So....I was thinking going either cherry or maple for all OR split it up and do the cheddars with hickory.
        MES SS
        Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
        Weber Genesis

Comment

Going all in with maple in the amazen. I did throw in some cherry dust at the end of the maze for a darker color if I go that long this time
          MES SS
          Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
          Weber Genesis

Comment

Okay, all done. Used maple for all of it. I went 2 hours, pulled and sealed. I was going to try for an hour but my other projects got me side tracked. Hope the friends and family like it cause that's all they're getting this year for christmas.....
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Mossy; 10-10-2011, 11:21 PM.
            MES SS
            Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
            Weber Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              The Guoda is soft and melts easily, so watch the temp closely. Do peel off the wax cover. The Dublinger is much more solid and takes smoke well. I would use a mild wood - apple, maple, pecan or citrus. I think I last used pecan with very nice results. I'd stay away from mesquite or hickory, too heavy!

Thanks for the heads up. What would you say the dublinger tastes like? I was in a hurry so I didn't end up with a taste test on any of them but the smell seemed almost like a cheddar? I only smoked half of it, kept the other for well, whatever I suppose. I did take the wax off the gouda and probably would have left it on if you hadn't said anything.

I have a feeling I'm going to be back for some of that aged white cheddar, even if I don't smoke it.
              MES SS
              Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
              Weber Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Mesquite.....NOT!... Any fruit wood will be good and mild. I also like Pecan, Alder and Hickory... Pecan my favorite. Nice score. Gotta love Costco.
                I suppose you order the pecan online?
                MES SS
                Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                Weber Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by Mossy View Post
                  I suppose you order the pecan online?
                  Amazon had a great deal on Pecan chip/chunks about (aboot in Canada) 3 weeks ago? ..... Not sure if still around?

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17429
                  sigpic

Comment

Seems others had the same problem as you....chips not chunks and almost half the weight as advertised.
                    MES SS
                    Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                    Weber Genesis

Comment

Seems others had the same problem as you....chips not chunks and almost half the weight as advertised.
                      Yeah, not sure about the weight, but the ones I got were pretty small in size..... No big, I can use them in the Cookshack electric & they will work fine for that..... Maybe make small aluminum "smoke balls" out of them i have done it before when throwing them on both a gas grill & a charcoal Weber, works pretty good.
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice smoke! Nice variety of cheeses! Costco Gouda is the bomb! Wow that's good stuff!

Along with the Gouda, I did some of that Dubliner on 8/23 and now it has aged enough to try. It's fantastic! It has a sort of creamy, nutty flavor, much more complex than typical domestic cheddar. It's so good you'll wish you smoked twice as much as you did! So good it will be difficult to give it away. LoL!

I'm certain your family will appreciate the gifts! Good stuff!

I love pepper jack cheese, but the few times I've tried smoking it, like you, I was also disappointed. Same with regular jack. To my taste, it just didn't seem to benefit from the smoke.

Mozzarella (fresh or dried) and cheddar seem to soak up the smoke much more noticably. I'm going to try some brie or other semi soft cheese next time I cold smoke.
                        sigpic

Comment

Good to know on the dublinger and good to know that I'm not the only one with disappointing results with jack.....but I'm sure I can find some recipes it'll mix into.
                          MES SS
                          Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                          Weber Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Yeah, not sure about the weight, but the ones I got were pretty small in size..... No big, I can use them in the Cookshack electric & they will work fine for that..... Maybe make small aluminum "smoke balls" out of them i have done it before when throwing them on both a gas grill & a charcoal Weber, works pretty good.
                            Hey Scott if you want some Pecan chunks for the WSM let me know, we have a Sportsman's Warehouse where I can buy all I want @ $ 5.00 per bag (10 lb bags) and these are "fist size" chunks. I'd be glad to get you some and send them Can also get Apple, Hickory, Mesquite............
                            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                            Weber 22.5" WSM
                            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            Pit Barrel Cooker
                            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                            The Vortex

Comment

Okay, all done. Used maple for all of it. I went 2 hours, pulled and sealed. I was going to try for an hour but my other projects got me side tracked. Hope the friends and family like it cause that's all they're getting this year for christmas.....
                              Why Hello, Friend!! Pass some that gouda my way!!

Nice job, Mossy. I've not been able to find blocks of gouda here, though I can buy the little 1/2#, wax covered rounds that are hickory smoked and DAMN GOOD!

You rocked this one!

Comment

Working...
                              X