beer keg ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beer keg ?

ok I have a beer keg that isn't like your typical keg it is tapered on both ends and has a bung in the middle as well as a tap port on one end.

I am wanting to make myself a smoker out of it but i am thinking that the Aluminum will not hold up to heat generated from fire.

I am thinking that the little Webber that I have may make a fire box tha could be attached with tubing.

any advise would be greatly appreciated

I am also planning on a double barrel smoker as well I have 2 removeable lid metal drums just waiting on the kits to put them together.

It's not aluminum, it's stainless. And it's pretty small for a smoker body. I use one for a firebox.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=45
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

A friend of mine built one using a keg... I am sending him a message so he can address this himself; and hopefully join us!
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Can you post a pic of the keg? If it is a stainless steel one ( most are but not all) then you might be able to do something with it
        if you have facebook, you can find me and some friends at the group called " Smoking meat low and slow" feel free to join us

Comment

yep... some are SS, some are alum. take a pocketknife or something, or a key, and try to scratch it. if it easily scratches, it's aluminum. if it's hard, like steel, it's stainless.

if it's aluminum, it would hold up tot he heat with an offset firebox. if it's stainless, you can do whatever you want with it. a typical, naturally aspirated wood fire will burn around 900*F or so, depending on ambient temps, wood type, etc. with that being said, aluminum melts around 1260*F. different alloys will melt at different temps. However, when one says "melts", they mean it completely liquifies. the 1260*F nominal temperature rating does not take into account the loss of strength, and gradual decline of structural integrity over time due to extreme heat.

bottom line, if it's aluminum, don't use it for anything but a smoke chamber. it just won't hold up to the heat from the charcoal/gas/wood that you will be using to fire it.

also, rich is right (I never thought i'd hear myself say that. lol)... it is pretty small. sure, you CAN fit a pork butt in there, but how much air space do you have to circulate the smoke and heat? i'm not saying you need a lot of extra room, but how exactly do you plan on assembling your smoker? what size is your keg? We'd all be more than happy to help you figure out the best way to make one.

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
          -RichTee's Lang :)
          Former Lineup:
          -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
          -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
          -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
          BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

aczeller said it all, 100% on the nose , couldn't of said it better
            if you have facebook, you can find me and some friends at the group called " Smoking meat low and slow" feel free to join us

Comment

it is a 15.5 gallon keg and I am almost certain that it may be SS

there are 2 bungs

one on the top and a corkable one in the middle in the side

Comment

Originally posted by scoggins View Post
                it is a 15.5 gallon keg and I am almost certain that it may be SS

there are 2 bungs

one on the top and a corkable one in the middle in the side
                Can you scratch it with a nail?

Perhaps there's newer kegs alum, but all I have ever seen is stainless. If there are alum kegs, DO NOT use for a firebox, but the body might be OK. then again, you'll have to weld steel to it.
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sounds like an older keg that used to have the draw rod you pushed into it from the top. If you can drop a small object into it from the hole in the top it's an older keg. If that is the case I believe it is aluminum.

Comment

jimr the top bung is for a tap and I'M GUESSING that the side one is for filling??maybe??
                    when i got it there was actually a cork in it

i got it about 10+/- years ago when a local resturant with a micro-brewery shut down.

I have tried to scratch it with my knife and it is rather difficult to do

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Can you scratch it with a nail?

then again, you'll have to weld steel to it.
                      the bung in the middle has a collar

if it is ALUMINUM I was thinkin about threading the collared bung to put a nipple in it and run flex hose from smoke source to the nipple....

to be continued.......

Comment

I have tried to scratch it with my knife and it is rather difficult to do
                        it's stainless. if it were aluminum, your knife would slide right across it and give you a nice shaving, or at least a relatively deep groove. you can weld regular steel to it as required for your smoker build.
                        Current babies:
                        Former Lineup:
                        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Any suggestions on design ?

Or am I on the right path?

Comment

Any suggestions on design ?

Or am I on the right path?
                            Path of using a keg as a smoker body? If it's for family (immediate and no in-laws) maybe. Look at it... you can't do 3 slabs, especially in a reverse flow configuration. Maybe a direct flow and baffle system.

Comment

maybe a small UDS if you can figure out a lid...
                              Current babies:
                              Former Lineup:

Comment

Working...
                              X