BIG BANG (trying to avoid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG BANG (trying to avoid)

So I aquired a decent 50 gal propane cylinder from a friend last night. Id like to use it for my tailgate RF project. Its been sitting with the valve open for a few years. My question is that i want to cut into it as safely as i can what do i do?
    sigpic

Originally posted by mwironwork View Post
    So I aquired a decent 50 gal propane cylinder from a friend last night. Id like to use it for my tailgate RF project. Its been sitting with the valve open for a few years. My question is that i want to cut into it as safely as i can what do i do?
    Some flush the tank with soap & water, some use just a constant air purge. Either way you should be ok. A cheap mouth guard will help.
    sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

You should be fine blowing it out with an air compressor as propane isn't absorbed into the metal as much as gasoline and diesle. But if you want to add an extra layer of caution in. remove the valve and drop in some dry ice. It's easily obtainable(any welding supply house) and it's dirt cheap. It displaces Oxygen and as you know, no air, no boom.
      JT

Comment

Fill it full of water, empty it out, cut at will. The water will displace anything in its way. Pics of the process would be great.

3405 BGW GOSM gasser
        Chargriller Duo W/ SFB and mods
        Uni-Flame kettle grill - poor lonely grill
        *New - Home made Drum Smoker with options*
        Various other tools of mass destruction

Comment

deff gonna need the mouth guard

Ill do the whole fill with water and empty a few times and rig up an argon purge from my tig machine and say a little prayer (and take pics)
          sigpic

Comment

step one, pray to the gods. step two, dry ice it... drop a chunk down there and let it "evaporate". like WF said, no air, no boom.

keep your cuts cool, as in no sparks... use a sawzall. it's loud and take a long time, but it will keep you alive.

even if it has been sitting out with the valve open for a decade, fill it with water and dish soap, and let it sit for a few days at least, if not weeks. propane is still an oil-based fuel and has trace amounts of oil in it to protect the fill valves, regulators, etc... the soap will "dissolve" the oils and residues, and help make it a bit safe"r"...

once it's sat for a while, empty it out, drop a chuck-o-dry ice into it and let it evaporate. once the CO2 has displaced the O2, you will be safe.

Later,
            Andy
            Current babies:
            -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
            -RichTee's Lang :)
            Former Lineup:
            -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
            -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
            -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
            -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
            BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

check this thread out...

http://weldfabzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2315.15
              Current babies:
              Former Lineup:
              -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

deff gonna need the mouth guard

Ill do the whole fill with water and empty a few times and rig up an argon purge from my tig machine and say a little prayer (and take pics)
                What about using a plasma cutter?
                Is the the same inherit dangers?

Comment

I have a bottle of co2 maybe hook up a regulator and a purge hose?

I had to Reg at weld fab zone so i will deff check it out once im
                  approved!

I was hoping to use my plasma...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scoggins View Post
                    What about using a plasma cutter?
                    Is the the same inherit dangers?
                    plasma cutters are hotter than O/A torches and produce sparks... plus, they push a TON of air into the space... if anything, i would opt to stay away from plasma cutters more than anything else.

if you want to chance it though, a plasma cutter would leave you with the cleanest cut with minimal mess in the shortest time.

Later,
                    Andy
                    Current babies:
                    Former Lineup:

Comment

I had to Reg at weld fab zone so i will deff check it out once im
                      approved!
                      you're in... i'm a moderator over there... shhhhh! lol

Later,
                      Andy
                      Current babies:
                      Former Lineup:

Comment

What do i do when its time to weld on it? Do i burn it out after i cut the initial door opening?
                        sigpic

Comment

Thank you Andy! Your secret is good with me
                          sigpic

Comment

What do i do when its time to weld on it? Do i burn it out after i cut the initial door opening?
                            exactly! once it's open, the vapors will be diluted enough that you can do whatever you want to it, for the most part. if it were me, i would open it up, let the door stay off through the build, then by the time i'm ready for the burn-out and ready to smoke, the "boom-agents" will be gone.
                            Current babies:
                            Former Lineup:

Comment

I read the thread on weld fab now im all nervous I too am a fire fighter so ill bring the tank to the FD and sniff it after i let it set for a week with soap n water.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X