Damn my arms are tired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn my arms are tired

I tried my hand a making pizza dough last night, not sure how it's going to turn out.

First, I couldn't find the dough hook for my mixer so I had to mix and knead everything by hand. Took almost 45 minutes of kneading to get the baker's window to form. That sucked.

Second I didn't have any "instant" yeast so I just used regular active dry yeast and I don't think I let it bloom enough, 'cause it didn't rise very much during the first rest. Well either that, or the date on the package of yeast was almost a year expired, so it's probably not the best yeast anymore. Oh well.

It's currently in the fridge, awaiting quittin' time so I can go home and try my new pizza stone.
    Last edited by PitRow; 10-13-2011, 09:31 PM.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

watch... it'll be overflowing and the fridge will be pushed open when you get home... it's time-delayed yeast. lol
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

We're patiently waiting for the pics. I'm sure your dough will be just fine even though I've never kneaded it that long. Good luck.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Well, it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I made two pizzas, the first one had a nice chewy crispy crust, but not enough sauce. The second was a little thinner and was mostly crispy, kind of a cracker crust.

Dough balls out of the fridge.

Frying up some Bacon. Didn't get a picture of the onions sweating down in the Bacon grease.

First one rolled out. Not exactly round but oh well, it's 'rustic' right?

Topped with bbq sauce, leftover pulled pork, Bacon pieces and onions.

Finished off with cheese, pineapple and banana peppers. Oh and more cheese ;)

Sorry I don't have more pics of them cooking, but right as I put the second one in the oven my wife got a call from her youngest... "mommy you're supposed to be at school now for the open house!" Grrr I love it when they don't tell us about stuff until 5 minutes before it starts. Anyway.... After hurriedly get the pizza out of the oven and rushing off...

First one out of oven. They cooked for 7 minutes at 550 on my pampered chef pizza stone. Not sure what's up with the color on this pic.

Slice of the first one

Slice of the second one.

All in all they were really good and a learning experience. Can't wait to try it again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
        Last edited by PitRow; 10-14-2011, 10:05 AM.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Oh yeah, and I DEFINITELY need to get a pizza peel!

Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

45 mins kneading? No way i only do bout 5 looks good though

Sent from a cell phone that is way cooler than yours!! Eat It!! $

Comment

Looks good from here

Sent from the outgoing Pex hot water line on Pande's custom hot water tank restoration project
              sigpic

Comment

Good looking pork pie!

Cash and Carry has some nice long handled pizza peels for a great price.

My favorite pizza recipe is Peter Reinhardts Napolitano. Easy, tasty, thin crust.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html
                "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Sounds great man. That is a lot of work for sure
                  Scarbelly

Comment

Thanks all. Not sure where I went wrong on the kneading, probably rusty technique, but it turned out pretty good.

Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Just flew in from the coast?

That's some good lookin' pie, ain't no two ways about it

weak yeast? 45 minutes kneading by hand? well, it didn't matter because you ended up with a damn fine looking pizza!

sigpic

Comment

Did you use warm water? maybe if you didnt thats why the yeast didnt activate right, or if you add a little sugar it gets the yeast going.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                          Did you use warm water? maybe if you didnt thats why the yeast didnt activate right, or if you add a little sugar it gets the yeast going.
                          Yea water gotta be warm and I add a couple tablespoons of honey.

Looks like real good pork pie!!!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Well sir, I think you nailed it!

Sent from me motorhome using tapawhut...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Just think. Your dear old grandma use to knead dough by hand all the time.
                              Thanks god for electric mixers
                              I'd say ya done nailed the pizza thing. Looks great
                              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Working...
                              X