weak smoke flavor in smoked fish??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weak smoke flavor in smoked fish??

I've been smoking salmon fillets,catfish,and smaller trout.I brine from 12-14 hrs, in salt and molasses wet brine.Everyone including myself thinks the salt flavor is good but the fish has very little smoke flavor.I do put it in front of a fan for 1-2 hrs till it gets tacky on the outside before smoking.I've used oak,maple and apple wood.Would it make sence to add some liquid smoke to the brine to get more flavor in the meat instead of all on the outside?If so how much for say 1 1/2 gals of brine?Thanks for your time again.And I have been doing long slow smokes 5-6 hrs.with smoke the whole time.

Not sure why you are not getting what you want . Maybe try a little "heartier" wood, like Hickory? Pecan?..... I use Alder probably 80% of the time & about 1-2 hours & they are just right smoke wise for us anyway.

Liquid smoke is an option, I guess, but not sure on the ratio.... Maybe find one via Google that you can get an idea from?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rdemler View Post
      I've been smoking salmon fillets,catfish,and smaller trout.I brine from 12-14 hrs, in salt and molasses wet brine.Everyone including myself thinks the salt flavor is good but the fish has very little smoke flavor.I do put it in front of a fan for 1-2 hrs till it gets tacky on the outside before smoking.I've used oak,maple and apple wood.Would it make sence to add some liquid smoke to the brine to get more flavor in the meat instead of all on the outside?If so how much for say 1 1/2 gals of brine?Thanks for your time again.And I have been doing long slow smokes 5-6 hrs.with smoke the whole time.
      You may be brining them too long, maybe not. Take a look at what Walle did.
      http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16804
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

How much flavor you want? I mean you can take the stuff to jerky status...AKA "blind robins" up here if ya want... but to me most fish is best served with just what you get..a light smoked flavor.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I never ate alot of smoked fish before so maybe I'm asking too much from it.The flavor itself is good just thought maybe a little smokier might make it even better.I'll read what walle did and see if maybe the kind of wood will make a differance.Thanks again everyone.

Comment

I've smoked quite a bit of salmon, steelhead & trout & in my opinion, it's pretty easy to get too much smoke on fish. It can/will get quite bitter if you put too much on it. Sounds like you are doing it just about right
            sigpic

Comment

I have smoked many shitloads of fish over the years & from what you report I would cut back on the brine or eliminate it completely. I never brine fish anymore because I believe the smoke flavor is strong enough that you have to have a strong & long brine to really taste it over the smoke. Also, the molassas in your brine could be preventing the smoke from penetrating the fish. Just a guess there. I only sprinkle a good amount of table salt on the filets & right into the smoker they go. If I want to get any extra flavors I will sprinkle that on the filets about 3/4 of the way through the smoke. Hope this helps. I also, smoke 'em for 4-6 hours, depending on the size of the fish.
              MES 30"
              A-Maze-N pellet smoker
              Weber 22" kettle
              E-Z-Que rotisserie
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Big Weber Gasser
              Cracker Smoker
              UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
                I have smoked many shitloads of fish over the years & from what you report I would cut back on the brine or eliminate it completely. I never brine fish anymore because I believe the smoke flavor is strong enough that you have to have a strong & long brine to really taste it over the smoke. Also, the molassas in your brine could be preventing the smoke from penetrating the fish. Just a guess there. I only sprinkle a good amount of table salt on the filets & right into the smoker they go. If I want to get any extra flavors I will sprinkle that on the filets about 3/4 of the way through the smoke. Hope this helps. I also, smoke 'em for 4-6 hours, depending on the size of the fish.
                Interesting stuff....

I do believe there are a lot of ways that fish can be smoked & not one of them is "the right way" IMO..... Techniques vary from area to area on what is traditional, etc. I am no expert on fish smoking, so I am just thinking out loud & am not being critical of any method.

The brining process, with the introduction of salt into the fish, will flavor it & also help in the preservation process, I think. Table salt, from everything I have read, is not suggested for brining fish, because of most containing Iodine. But I have used it in the past.

I think L20A's method seems to be popular in the SouthEast for fish, kinda less brining & smoking for consumption within a couple days. Northwest styles (most anyway that I have seen) are more heavily brined/salted, with more focus on longer term storage. This is just my perception from years of fishing & discussing this with folks.

Of course, there is also the BBQ/Grill method of preparing salmon/steelhead, fish, etc., which is more intended for consuming after cooking & at least around here that I have seen, does not involve "brining" but most likely will involve some sort of seasonings, herbs, etc. before cooking. Or sometimes not....

Just saying, IMO there is not a "right" way to smoke fish & there are also quite a few differnt ways to do it & the end process & what you are looking for results wise, should be considered when starting. I will typically do 2 methods on fish, BBQ/Grill for immediate or next day consumption & brine & smoke for a product that will last quite a while under refrigeration & will last up to maybe a couple years when vac packed & frozen.

Just my thoughts.... All that typing kinda made me thirsty....
                sigpic

Comment

I'd cut back on the brine. Maybe in half?

I usually brine for 6 hours and the smoke flavor is spot on for me. I did a side by side test with trout with brine/no brine a few years ago and I found the no brine method had way too much smoke for my taste.
                  Chris
                  UDS - Buckeye 1
                  Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
                  GOSM Wide Body
                  Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
                  2 Dutch Ovens
                  Cabelas Grinder
                  Cabelas Jerky Blaster
                  Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
                  Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

Thanks for all the great info.I smoke so fish will last a few weeks anyway.I will cut back on the brine time and see how that goes.I may try the smoking for eating within a day.Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by rdemler View Post
                      Thanks for all the great info.I smoke so fish will last a few weeks anyway.I will cut back on the brine time and see how that goes.I may try the smoking for eating within a day.Thanks again.
                      ..... To me, on S-M anyways, there seems to be a lot of different methods of what folks called "smoked fish" and I mean more than 2 or 20. None are better than the others IMO, just different, probably due to location & tradition I think.... In the Pacific NW, from my experience anyway, fish (Salmon, Steelhead, Trout, Sturgeon) is "typically" prepared to eat as a main course soon after ir is caught..... OR, it is processed in one of several different ways, typically with the intention of either consuming within about a week or 2, or long term storage in either the fridge or the freezer. Vacuum packing & freezing smoked fish is very common here for long term storage, as is pickling & also canning...... Canned & smoked Salmon-Steelhead-Sturgeon-Tuna-Trout is some of the finest eating fish I have ever had.
                      sigpic

Comment

As stated above the hartier woods work best. Hickory, alder and you can even mix in 20% to 30% Mesquite for a stronger smoke flavor. But I wouldn't go any more then that with mesquite and fish. Another issue may be your fire is burning too hot. You may try a bit more wood fuel (not too much) and cutting the air down a bit. Just make sure you maintain a thin blue smoke.
                        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                        Yoder Wichita
                        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Please tell me the temperature profile you are using for the smoking part?

You definately need to move up the wood profile too.

So add in either Alder or Hickory, and use either apple or oak as the base fire.

I need to know the smoke temperature profile to help with the depth problem. What temp and for how long and how well are you holding that temp?
                          Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

I smoke my fish at 170 in my electric with alder. I usually only add smoke during the first 2 hours of the 4 hours it usually takes to finish. Hope this helps.
                            sigpic

Comment

it should be smokier tasting the next day too.
                              brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                              18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                              cast iron Hibachi
                              22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                              & rotisserator
                              12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                              stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                              Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                              http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                              my music recordings-
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                              X