Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major score ,what a find -but would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major score ,what a find -but would you?

To make a long story short ,I took a couple days off from work this week and decided it was time to clean my shop for this years upcoming sausage season.
    opened a cabinet and out popped five bags of venison jerky from last winter

Now here's the question.they been in a dark cabinet for almost a year now ,no refrigeration nothing.they were vac packed but the seals failed on three of them.I opened two of them and they were as good looking and smelling as day one.And yes i used cure when making it would you eat them

I hope so cause im
    full allready
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Yup, I'd be on it! If it wasn't nasty smelling, wet or moldy.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Go for it. Any spoilage would be very obvious after a year. How long do you think some of those jars in gas stations sit?
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Get after it, Bill. I'd watch you eat it!
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Oh here's the deal. You try some and after a week if you did not get sick from it send the rest over here to me and I will finish it up for you.

Comment

With "LOTS" of beer maybe...
            sigpic

Comment

Be aight... just gonna have to work on that storage issue for the upcoming season... just sayin...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah..... About 5 beers in tonight.... I would hit it
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                  Be aight... just gonna have to work on that storage issue for the upcoming season... just sayin...
                  LOL,yeah I got to quit hiding the good stuff but then again It sure was a nice find
                  2-22.5'' weber
                  1-18'' weber
                  1 smokey joe
                  22.5'' wsm
                  24'' smoke vault
                  1-outhouse
                  Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                  Smoked meathead #135

Comment

yep.

Had some dry biltong (the 'wet' stuff just goes mouldy) once that had just been left in my bedroom for a year or two before I found it. No vacpack not even in a sealed bag.
                    Was hard as nails but after 10 minutes or so sucking you could actually chew it.
                    I ate it

So yeah I'd eat it - hell long as it's not mouldy , what could be wrong with it ?

But I don't recommend people to go by what I would eat or drink
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Din't you hear about the hunk I found under my van seat a while back? Yup..little dry but good
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Worst it could do is clean ya out like dat chit ya hafta drink for a colonoscopy!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks good from my house. Eat it up. haha
                          Propane Smoke Shack
                          UDS
                          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                          sigpic

Comment

Re:

Isn't the process of making jerky a means of preserving meat to start with ?

Being in a cool dark place covered in plastic, whether vacuum sealed or otherwise sounds well preserved.

A simple sniff test and visual inspection should be all you need. Don't eat anything with mold on it. Mold can be scraped off provided it's just small spots here and there and then eaten.

Having a beer with it would likely take care of anything in it that disagrees with you.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                              Isn't the process of making jerky a means of preserving meat to start with ?

Being in a cool dark place covered in plastic, whether vacuum sealed or otherwise sounds well preserved.

A simple sniff test and visual inspection should be all you need. Don't eat anything with mold on it. Mold can be scraped off provided it's just small spots here and there and then eaten.
                              Indeed..but it comes down to moisture and salt/acid content. And the white mold is typically harmless. Indeed... encouraged in salami/long term cured meats.
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X