Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomorrow's Smoke: Chicken Wings and a Fattie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorrow's Smoke: Chicken Wings and a Fattie!

Having some people over tomorrow night during the Kansas State/Texas Tech football game. Who says I have to have stick to the Michigan norm and have a party in the early afternoon for Michigan/Michigan State? I am a still a Kansan at heart and a grad of KSU. Tonight, I'm preparing 2 loaves of sourdough bread to have something to dip into some of my wife's delicious buffalo chicken dip. It's going to be a menu of finger foods and appetizers featuring chicken wings on the traeger with 2 sauces (bbq and buffalo). I'll also be featuring a pizza fattie, which I'm preparing tonight. The outside of the heart attack will consist of a Mad Hunky rub and bacon weave, and will be stuffed with pepperoni, homemade pizza sauce, mozzerella and cheddar cheeses. Pics to come of the fattie prep and the bread prep.

Tomorrow in the a.m. I have 7 lbs of wings from Sam's which I'll cut the tips off of and will brine in the Mad Hunky brine that Rich sent with my hunky order. I'll then dust them in Mad Hunky rub, and will smoke them on the traeger at between 300 and 325. I'll be serving with 2 sauces (will spin them if people want). One will be a KC based bbq sauce (Cowtown), and the other will be my homemade hot sauce with a butter and Frank's base. Pics coming soon. Getting excited for good grub tomorrow night.
    Last edited by tadowdaddy; 10-14-2011, 11:28 PM.
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Yer gonna like that food :{) But since ya don't much care...root for Big Blue to win, eh?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Yer gonna like that food :{) But since ya don't much care...root for Big Blue to win, eh?
      I kind of have to since my wife got her masters from there and works at the hospital too. First thing's first though before preparing the fattie, gotta make sure my daughter's KSU dress fits for tomorrow.... SUCCESS!

Last edited by tadowdaddy; 10-14-2011, 11:28 PM.
      Don

Humphrey's Pint
      Anova One Sous Vide
      AMPS
      Purple Thermapen
      Maverick ET-733
      DigIQ DX2
      Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Ok, fattie is prepared, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and in the fridge... I have a feeling I'm going to go pic happy in this thread.

First, flattened out 1.5 lbs of sausage and made my bacon weave. Dusted both with Mad Hunky.

Then, put the stuffing in my fattie. Consisted of a whole package of pepperoni, covered with homemade pizza sauce that I had thawed out. Then topped that with some basil and oregano. Finally, covered in shredded mozzerella and cheddar.

Rolled and ready to be bacon wrapped. Yes, I am drinking Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

Finally, the finished product. Top dusted with more Mad Hunky.

I've decided to wait til the a.m. to work on my sourdough. I need to concentrate on drinking tonight since my 13 week old is finally asleep. More to come tomorrow, including wing prep pics, smoking pics, and the finished products!
        Don

Humphrey's Pint
        Anova One Sous Vide
        AMPS
        Purple Thermapen
        Maverick ET-733
        DigIQ DX2
        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
          I need to concentrate on drinking tonight since my 13 week old is finally asleep.
          ..... Remember those days & not too long ago they were..... Fatty looks Outstanding..... That is gonna steal the show tomorrow .... Good luck & send some pics.
          sigpic

Comment

Chicken Wings, tips removed, skin poked with a fork, and in Mad Hunky Brine:

Two loaves of sourdough, ready to start rising:
            Don

Humphrey's Pint
            Anova One Sous Vide
            AMPS
            Purple Thermapen
            Maverick ET-733
            DigIQ DX2
            Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Good Gracious! That goll dern fattie is gonna hook up some warm bellies and a whole lot 'o smiles Looking A+
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Game time, less than 2 hours from now. The bread is done, and I purposely did 2 loaves of bread that are shorter than my typical loaf. i did this to have more crust on the outside and not as much spongyness on the inside to hold up to my wife's buffalo chicken dip.

Wings got a 5 hour bath in Mad Hunky brine, were taken out, rinsed off and dried. Then hit with Mad Hunky rub. Will be going on the Traeger soon:

More pics to come!
                Don

Humphrey's Pint
                Anova One Sous Vide
                AMPS
                Purple Thermapen
                Maverick ET-733
                DigIQ DX2
                Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Figured I'd throw a smoker pic on here too...

Don

Humphrey's Pint
                  Anova One Sous Vide
                  AMPS
                  Purple Thermapen
                  Maverick ET-733
                  DigIQ DX2
                  Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Looking good...... AND I love that under mount big single bowel sink in your kitchen also. Our last house had that setup and the new one does not. Sure miss that room. Gonna fix that hopefully soon
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Looking good...... AND I love that under mount big single bowel sink in your kitchen also. Our last house had that setup and the new one does not. Sure miss that room. Gonna fix that hopefully soon
                      Thanks! We just re-did the kitchen in this house about 6 mos ago. Now we can turn it into a rental and look for a bigger house.. lol.
                      Don

Humphrey's Pint
                      Anova One Sous Vide
                      AMPS
                      Purple Thermapen
                      Maverick ET-733
                      DigIQ DX2
                      Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Ok, the last post of pics. First, pulled the fattie off the Traeger at 165. Our company was late so I wrapped in foil and put in a 175 degree oven until they got here.

The inside after resting:

Pulled the wings off the smoker an hour later:

2 Sauces, one hot sauce, one bbq:

My first plate (had 4 more plates of wings). Included here is sourdough topped with my wife's buffalo chicken dip:

KSU got a win too and I got to have some beers. Hell of a night. Good food, good company, good sports!

Thanks for looking!
                        Don

Humphrey's Pint
                        Anova One Sous Vide
                        AMPS
                        Purple Thermapen
                        Maverick ET-733
                        DigIQ DX2
                        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Damn... I want a couple wings. Hot please :{) Nice cook!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Damn... I want a couple wings. Hot please :{) Nice cook!
                            I'll be ordering some brine. These were the tastiest, juciest wings I've made in a long time. Great thing about the Traeger too, I finished around 375 degrees and the skin was nice and crispy.
                            Don

Humphrey's Pint
                            Anova One Sous Vide
                            AMPS
                            Purple Thermapen
                            Maverick ET-733
                            DigIQ DX2
                            Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Those look awesome.
                              Care to share what is in the Buffalo chicken dip?

Comment

Working...
                              X