Yellow Drum Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Drum Brisket

Got an 11.76 pound brisket on the UDS. We'll see what the bright yellow drum looks like after it's first cook.

Picked this up at my local Cash & Carry.

I rubbed it with the following ingredients . . .

using a Tri Level Rub idea that I found on another forum. Layer One was the Lawry's, Layer Two was the onion powder and garlic powder and Layer Three was the kosher salt and coarse black pepper.

Here it is all rubbed and ready.

I put it on about 10 pm. Once the drum settles in, I think I'll grab some shuteye. Beautiful night for an all nighter though. It was in the 80s today. Crickets are chirping and it is a really nice night out.

Got guests coming over tomorrow so my wife is a little nervous at me experimenting. (It's just her sister's family so what the heck. ) Gonna do some of Dutch's beans and some MOINK balls and the wife is making potato salad. I've never done Dutch's beans before. Am curious about those. Should be a good feed.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

nice lookin brisky dave!!! u will love dutches beans, some say they dont like yjr pineapple in them, makes too sweet. personally i like the pineapple but i love pineapple... do you have any smoked trimmings from when you trim spares into st louis style ribs??? if ya do that smoked meat makes a great addition to the beans. lookin forward to finally!
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Looks good so far, Dave. If you've never tried Dutch's beans, you're in for a real treat. I always use a full can of the pineapple chunks. Like erain, I'm partial to pineapple though. Everyone who has ever tried them at my house has asked for the recipe. If you're serving heat sensitive folks, cut back on the jalapenos. Your guests and your wife will not be disappointed.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Very nice Dave. Can't wait to see the results. And Dutch's beans are awesome, pineapple all the way, except I use crushed, drained.

Tom

Comment

Well, I finally went to bed at around 2:20 am. Drum was sitting at 237°. Checked it a couple of times when I woke up through the night, it was still at 237°. This morning when I got up at 7:30 to check the temp on the brisket the drum was at 237°. I am sure it wandered a bit but never enough to set off the ET-73 and the wind did come up a little. Still seems to cruise pretty well even with the Weber lid, which I am happy to see.

Brisket temp was 148° and 7:30 this morning.

Seems to be a lot lighter in color with no sugars in the rub. And . . . the drums getting a bit dirty.

More later.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Looking great Dave!
            Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
            Weber Performer
            Weber 22.5" OTG
            Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
            Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
            Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
            BBQ Food Truck

Comment

looking real good...

sigpic

Comment

Looking good Dave. Can't wait to see the results. Glad to hear the lid mod is working for ya too. Oh, and clean that thing up will ya? Man, that looks ugly. Lol.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Very nice. I also learned that I should probably try Dutches beans!!

Comment

Thirteen and 1/2 hours in and the brisket is at 160°. I mopped it once but really didn't need to.

Probably just washed the large grains of seasoning off. :blush: The drum seems to cook really moist if you leave the lid alone. Been doing pretty good this smoke. Only removed the lid twice so far -- once to insert the temp probe and once with the intention of mopping.

I'll probably take it on up to 165° or so then put it in a foil pan with some of the intended mop sauce and cover it with foil then cook it till 195ish or until the probe goes in like butter.

More later.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                      Thirteen and 1/2 hours in
                      Dammm man should have just got a "Smoker Bag". Hahahahahahaha
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Now we're 15 hours in and it's in a foil pan with some mop sauce.

Didn't expect it to take this long but I planned far enough in advance that it won't be a problem. I think my Undergrate Temp Probe Holder may be giving me some misleading readings. Been holding close to 240 - 250 all night but the Tel tru on the side of the drum has been reading lower than when I measured the grate temp on top of the grate and got 250 on the ET-73. I shielded the probe from dripping fats and such but there must be something else going on that is making it read a little lower. Oh well, I'm cooking the brisket to temp, or rather to tenderness so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dave
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

Oh no... Not the new paint job... :0

The briskey looks great..
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

By the time I got an opportunity to take finish pictures, there wasn't much left.

We tore through it pretty fast. It was good and Dutch's beans are excellent..

Took 17 hours which I thought was a little odd on a drum since I cooked a 12 pounder on my SnP in 17 hours last November. I confirmed that I had a bad temp probe. I boil tested it (as I always do before a long smoke) and it read 210°. Thought it was reading funny cause it was under the grate but after the brisket came off I set it on top of the grate with the other probe and it was way off. Switched plugs to determine if it was the probe or the unit and it was the probe. I looked back at previous smoking logs to note the difference between the dial and probe temps and I figured I was probably smoking this at around 200° to 230° most of the time. I guess it's a good idea to have the dial analog for a second opinion.

As far as the Tri Level Rub goes, the brisket was pretty darn tasty. My wife gave me a on the experiment. Can't really say if the layering made a difference since I had no way to immediately compare a non-layered one but the flavor seems very pronounced throughout the meat.

All in all an enjoyable smoke and meal. Thanks for watching.

Dave
                            Last edited by DDave; 04-23-2009, 07:45 AM.
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

Looks darn good Dave. Great work.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X