Adding Tags to Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Tags to Threads

I know when I am starting a new thread I would always notice this box . . .

but I never really knew what it was for. So I poked around the FAQ awhile and found this . . .

What are tags?
    Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.

To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).

This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.

Who adds the tags?
    Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.

How do I use tags?
    Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'

This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most."
    I know one of the shortcomings of the vBulletin forums is the Search function. It appears that adding tags to your threads would be a great way to enhance the Search function -- especially since you can add 3 letter words as tags like UDS, oak and rub. The Search feature ignores search terms that are 3 letters or less.

So come on folks. Add some tags to your threads and make that helpful information easier to find.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

nice find dave!!!, i added a tag to this thread of yours by clicking on edit tags and i was able to enter a tag on your post. i simply entered "tags" as a tag. nice find man, if people do start to use this it will make the search a much more efficient tool.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
      nice find dave!!!, i added a tag to this thread of yours by clicking on edit tags and i was able to enter a tag on your post. i simply entered "tags" as a tag. nice find man, if people do start to use this it will make the search a much more efficient tool.
      I noticed that I could add tags to other threads as well. Thanks for tagging this one. (I thought I already did. ) Pretty bad . . . I don't even tag my own thread where I tell people to tag theirs.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

LMAO, i had to try it out!!!
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

I had seen that tag thingie...never looked into it...so it's GLOBAL eh? Cool...that WILL help out the search!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            I had seen that tag thingie...never looked into it...so it's GLOBAL eh? Cool...that WILL help out the search!
            actually it gets better.... you dont even have to go to search. at the bottom of thread is the tag line, click edit tags(on rt side) to add a tag, click on "tags" on rt side and a search box comes up. type in tag and submit. it works but downfall is the tags have to be entered...... so if your smoking bb ribs, or brisket, etc......
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

BUMP.... I have been adding tags as I think about it... please help!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wow! That is awesome thanks for the info...
                I will start "tagging" today... (tagging has a whole different meaning in South Central L.A.)

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                X