Battered fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battered fish

OK- I have a party for my daughters baby shower, and was asked to cook for the event, and my daughter is not a big smoke fan, my first mistake (sorry),ha, BUT she wants deep fried cod, which Im cool with , but Im looking for a kickass bater, and it has to be a light batter, no greasy crap---I,ve got a good Panko batter BUT, Love to hear what ya got-just sayin

I'd love to help ya, but I've never cooked cod. Fried lots of southern fish, but no cod. Don't know how it cooks, sorry.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

3/4 cup flour
      2 tablespoons cornstarch
      1/4 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon baking powder
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      3/4 cup water

Sift dry ingrients together. Add water and mix well. Coat fish and fry until golden brown color. Keep the temp up on the oil. Reminds me a lot of a Long Johns batter ... like it or not your choice.

3405 BGW GOSM gasser
      Chargriller Duo W/ SFB and mods
      Uni-Flame kettle grill - poor lonely grill
      *New - Home made Drum Smoker with options*
      Various other tools of mass destruction

Comment

I don't like liquid batter on fish because it tends to swell up, soak up the oil, and you're left with more oil soaked batter than you are fish. I like to start with either dry pancake mix, or Bisquick, use an equal amount of regular flour and season it they way I want it. Shrimps get a little more pepper/cajun, fish get a little more lemon pepper/garlic/onion powder.

Soak fish in either milk, or a good beer for 15 or 20 minutes, roll in dry fish shake, and fry.

Thaz the way I like it.

Comment

I use a dry batter.
          3 cup all purpose flour
          1 cup yellow cornmeal
          2Tbs garlic powder
          1Tbs old bay
          Wet fish with milk and coat with dry batter fry at 350.
          Enjoy
          Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

I tend to the dry too. It'll be lighter, but it takes a bit more care not to knock it off during frying. Be gentle.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by merrell View Post
              I use a dry batter.
              Hia Merrell...welcome to Smoked-meat :{)

Drop by the introductions forum and fill us in on your cookers and stuff!
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

the is no finer fish breading on God's earth than "house autry seafood breader," i use the original.

prep and rinse the fish
                put the breader in a tupperware bowl w/ lid
                throw in the fish into bowl snap on lid
                shake
                throw fish into a skillet half filled with hot oil

nothin better
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Man, you guys are good.... What they said /\ /\ .... Cod is really good stuff, I like too keep the oil as hot as I can without burning & go pretty quick, let em rest a bit & carrryover cook on paper towels & re-season if you like right after you set them on the paper towles. We fry Tilapia quite a bit like this.

Note: Personally, I don't "deep fry" as in totally submersed in oil, but will typically have enough oil in the bottom of the pan to cover it. Not that it's right, just my way.... More like a "fry" than a "deep fry" i guess.....

Cod also makes Awesome "fritters" for frying when using it either ground, or cut into chunks & mixed with the typical "fritter" stuff like bread crumbs/Panko/crackers, eggs to bind, onions, seasonings, etc,
                  sigpic

Comment

All good schit------thank you very nice!

Comment

I'm going against the majority here, because I love, love, love a beer batter. Here's a simple recipe, I do dredge the fish in seasoned flour first, then dip in the batter then fryer. Read through some of the responses for other ideas. The key here is to make sure your beer is ice cold. You're doing somewhat of a tempura batter. Yummy. Good luck. Maybe it's a girl thing, but I love this.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/beer-batter/detail.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                        I'm going against the majority here, because I love, love, love a beer batter.

Nothing wrong with a good light beer batter either.... I should have suggested this. Thanks Squirrely Lady!

Comment

Mix 1 cup of flour with 1 Tbsp cornstarch and season with SnP sometimes cayanne. coat the fish, dip it in an egg wash and roll it in panko. Again just a way, not the only way and yeah I do like me some beer batter, specially for onion rings
                          JT

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                            I'm going against the majority here, because I love, love, love a beer batter. Here's a simple recipe, I do dredge the fish in seasoned flour first, then dip in the batter then fryer. Read through some of the responses for other ideas. The key here is to make sure your beer is ice cold. You're doing somewhat of a tempura batter.
                            Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Nothing wrong with a good light beer batter either.... I should have suggested this. Thanks Squirrely Lady!
                            Dayamn! Reading this thread made me pull some catfish filets out fer dinner tonight.

I love a good beer battered fish. I just kinda make it up as I go but most of the time it goes something like this...

For two or three fish filets take a bowl & put about a cup of flour, a dash or two or three of Tony Chachere's seasoning, CPB, garlic powder, one egg, some dill weed or dill pickle juice & a good beer, not that yellow fizzy stuff. Mix it all together & then dredge the filets in the batter. Then just fry them up in some good hot oil & serve over rice. I've never tried it with cod but I don't see why it wouldn't be just as tasty.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                            Paul

Comment

I do cod on a regular basis in the beer batter. It's the best that way IMHO. I use a good stout beer like Guiness. I only use garlic, salt and peppa cuz it's such a mild fish that it is easy to get lost in too much spice. Besides, I think girls tend to lean less towards spicy and more towards savory.

Comment

Working...
                              X