Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of you freeze your smoked cheese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of you freeze your smoked cheese?

I have been in the cheese smoking mood and want to load up the smoker again with cheese. I wanted to do a big load and kind of stock up but I can't eat it fast enough if I do a full load. My question is do any of you freeze your cheese? I remember a while back I froze some cheese from the store and when I thawed it to use it the stuff just crumbled all over. I have never tried it with smoked cheese though. And I am sure that it depends on what kind of cheese you are freezing as well. Just wanted to see what everyone else does. I would be vacuum sealing it and and resting it then freezing it. But then again maybe it could be sealed then go right into the freezer????? I'm not sure. Your thoughts?
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Nope...To me it don't taste the same...Vac seal & store is what I do & my son's get in it faster than....
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I think no matter what, smoked or not, it's gonna crumble when thawed. But then again, some crumbled cheese would work well in some sausages

My advice. Smoke a smaller amount, eat more of it, repeat
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Yes I do, because I want it to crumble, as mentioned above. I use it for sauces and dips and the crumbling makes it much easier to use.
        For general use no, cause it crumbles if you do!!!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Ok good that is what I was looking for. I didn't know most cheese crumbles once frozen in a brick or if it just happened to be the kind I tried in the past. I guess I will just continue to do a smaller amount or if I do a bigger amount I will just give some away. Thanks guys.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

Once it is smoked & vac baged it will keep for a pretty long time, months, as long as the vacuum holds.
            MES 30"
            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
            Weber 22" kettle
            E-Z-Que rotisserie
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Big Weber Gasser
            Cracker Smoker
            UDS

Comment

I have some mozzarella vacuum sealed in the fridge still, think 5 months old? Looks just fine, some of the pepper jack is getting some extra color though.
              MES SS
              Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
              Weber Genesis
              Green Mountain Daniel Boone

Comment

Originally posted by Mossy View Post
                I have some mozzarella vacuum sealed in the fridge still, think 5 months old? Looks just fine, some of the pepper jack is getting some extra color though.

Vacuum sealed in the freezer you are golden.. I'm not sure I would not trust vacuum sealed in the frig for 5 months, but that's me.. But from what your saying, it sounds like the vacuum seal has broke on the pepper jack and not the other..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                X