Roast Beef, RonP's Pulled Chicken and a fatty on this beautiful fall day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roast Beef, RonP's Pulled Chicken and a fatty on this beautiful fall day

I have been wanting to try RonP's pulled chicken recipe for a while now and I have finally gotten around to it. I picked up two birds at Sams last night and rubbed them down this morning with some Garlic & Herb, Old Bay and Steak & Chop seasoning. I put them on the Smoker and ran it at 225-250 until they hit 265 then they were removed and put into a tin pan with some chicken stock and went into the oven at 185 degrees (which is where they are right now) for several hours until they are pulled. Ron use to put them in the oven over night and pull them in the morning. I can't wait until the Vikings game is over then I am going to try and pull them. The skin and bones will get put into the stock pot and I am going to make soup.

Next we have a Eye of Round roast that has been in my freeze since last winter that I have been meaning to make dried beef out of but haven't gotten around to it so I decided to try making some roast beef with it. I rubbed it last night with Pepper, Accent, Garlic & Onion Powder and Montreal Steak seasoning. Today it went in the smoker at 225-250 until it hit 140 then I pulled it and let it rest in foil then I will cool it in the fridge and slice it tomorrow. I can't wait to try this roast beef on sandwiches.

And finally we have my sour cream and chive stuffed fatty. It has been a long long time since I have done a fatty so I figured I would throw one on. I make a box of Sour cream and chive scalloped potatoes and wrapped it in the Jimmy Deans hot sausage and wrapped it in Bacon. Here are some pictures.

This is the roast I was working with.

The roast all rubbed up and ready to rest in the fridge for the night.

The chickens all rubbed up waiting to go into the smoker.

Here is the load that is going into the UDS.

The birds are removed at 165 and ready to hang out in the oven for a few hours.

The roast cut in half and going into the fridge to chill until I slice them tomorrow.

And last but not least here is the fatty cut in half and going into the fridge for snacking.

Its been a fun Sunday afternoon smoking meat, watching football and surfing the smoking forums. Thanks for looking. I will have sliced roast beef and pulled chicken pictures tomorrow.

Updated pictures:

Here are the birds after they are coming out of the oven and they are ready to be pulled.

Here is what I had after it was all pulled. I think I had three nice size vacuum bags for the freezer.

All of the rest of it went into the stock pot for some smokey chicken soup.

Here is a shot of my roast beef loot.

A close up shot.

All of these are going into the freezer.

The roast beef tastes great but I was hoping for just a tad more season flavor. Next time I think I am going to put more rub on it or maybe come up with an injection to get a little more seasoning into the middle of the meat. I can't wait to use some of this up in the next few weeks while deer hunting. I have a good stock pile of smoked sliced roast beef, chicken and corned beef in the freezer for hunting and ice fishing.
    Last edited by rbranstner; 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM.
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
    I have been wanting to try RonP's pulled chicken recipe for a while now and I have finally gotten around to it. I picked up two birds at Sams last night and rubbed them down this morning with some Garlic & Herb, Old Bay and Steak & Chop seasoning. I put them on the Smoker and ran it at 225-250 until they hit 265 then they were removed and put into a tin pan with some chicken stock and went into the oven at 185 degrees (which is where they are right now) for several hours until they are pulled. Ron use to put them in the oven over night and pull them in the morning. I can't wait until the Vikings game is over then I am going to try and pull them. The skin and bones will get put into the stock pot and I am going to make soup.

Next we have a Eye of Round roast that has been in my freeze since last winter that I have been meaning to make dried beef out of but haven't gotten around to it so I decided to try making some roast beef with it. I rubbed it last night with Pepper, Accent, Garlic & Onion Powder and Montreal Steak seasoning. Today it went in the smoker at 225-250 until it hit 140 then I pulled it and let it rest in foil then I will cool it in the fridge and slice it tomorrow. I can't wait to try this roast beef on sandwiches.

And finally we have my sour cream and chive stuffed fatty. It has been a long long time since I have done a fatty so I figured I would throw one on. I make a box of Sour cream and chive scalloped potatoes and wrapped it in the Jimmy Deans hot sausage and wrapped it in Bacon. Here are some pictures.

This is the roast I was working with.

The roast all rubbed up and ready to rest in the fridge for the night.

The chickens all rubbed up waiting to go into the smoker.

Here is the load that is going into the UDS.

The birds are removed at 165 and ready to hang out in the oven for a few hours.

The roast cut in half and going into the fridge to chill until I slice them tomorrow.

And last but not least here is the fatty cut in half and going into the fridge for snacking.

Its been a fun Sunday afternoon smoking meat, watching football and surfing the smoking forums. Thanks for looking. I will have sliced roast beef and pulled chicken pictures tomorrow.
    Great Smoke! for the trinity of meats!
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Yo buddy, that's some chow!!!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Holy smokes! Great looking BBQ! Your post grabbed me by the taste buds and jerked me through the monitor! Yikes! I really dig the looks of that Eye 'o round!
        Thanks for sharing
        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful Stuff Ross
          sigpic

Comment

Pulled the birds last night and they pulled like a dream. I will post pictures of the birds tonight after I slice up the roast beef.
            Propane Smoke Shack
            UDS
            sigpic

Comment

I added the sliced beef and pulled chicken pictures to my original post.
              Propane Smoke Shack
              UDS
              sigpic

Comment

Turned out great Ross... Love me some pulled chicken
                sigpic

Comment

Ross, I think ole Ron is lookin down on ya and thinking, "yeah, that's how it's done"
                  Great post, great smoke. for sure.
                  https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

great looking cook

so have I got the wrong ron - or have you just hidden the yoshidas ?
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Aww DAMN, Ross! I knew I was avoiding this post for a reason. Holy shitsky, bro - I'd mack down on all of it.

If this post ain't worthy, I don't know what would be. Love the roast beef - I may have to give that a try!

Awesome smoke, brother.

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        great looking cook

so have I got the wrong ron - or have you just hidden the yoshidas ?
                        Nope I haven't been hitting the Yoshidas. I wish. I can't find the stuff around here. But yes you have the correct RonP.
                        Propane Smoke Shack
                        UDS
                        sigpic

Comment

Great spread Ross. Looks like you cooked it all to perfection

Comment

Beautimus
                            SCOTT

Comment

Looks like a great chow down Ross. I love that your saving the carcass for soup. It's hard to beat a smoke like that and then throw in smoked bird soup.
                              Good job.
                              Greg

*~*~*~*~*~*

King-Griller Akorn Kamado
                              Louisiana Grills Pellet Smoker
                              AMSPS & AMSTS

Comment

Working...
                              X