Along came some bees and sat by me cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Along came some bees and sat by me cider

Well, I never really did get much more than a quarter cup of apple cider. I figured I would try my hand at using the enterprise sausage/fruit/lard press today for making a batch of apple cider. I first picked a bushel of golden delicious apples out back and cleaned them along with sanitizing the press. I had to wear gloves just picking the apples because of the bees, but when I started cutting them they came from everywhere. I had to cover my bucket in which to dispense the cider with cheese cloth and some string. I cut the apples into quarters, slit the core from them and then into eighths. The swarm of bees was so thick I really did cut quite alot of them in half mid air with my fillet knife (which was more fun than cranking on the press) there must be a better way at doing this because I was torquin on that press just to get a dribble. I finally said F.I. Anyone tried makin apple cider using a enterprise? I never got stung yeehaw
    Last edited by SmokinLee; 10-17-2011, 05:53 AM.

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
    Well, I never really did get much more than a quarter cup of apple cider. I figured I would try my hand at using the enterprise sausage/fruit/lard press today for making a batch of apple cider. I first picked a bushel of golden delicious apples out back and cleaned them along with sanitizing the press. I had to wear gloves just picking the apples because of the bees, but when I started cutting them they came from everywhere. I had to cover my bucket in which to dispense the cider with cheese cloth and some string. I cut the apples into quarters, slit the core from them and then into eighths. The swarm of bees was so thick I really did cut quite alot of them in half mid air with my fillet knife (which was more fun than cranking on the press) there must be a better way at doing this because I was torquin on that press just to get a dribble. I finally said F.I. Anyone tried makin apple cider using a enertprise? I never got stung yeehaw
    Would Love to have seen the Samuri AssanationsCan't help ya on the Cider.
    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
      Would Love to have seen the Samuri Assanations

X2 on that Ray
      sigpic

Comment

I forgot to mention what I did with the cut up pieces was tossed them in a stock pot and cooked down. Sometime today I will run them through the Foley food mill and remove the skins........applesauce.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
          I forgot to mention what I did with the cut up pieces was tossed them in a stock pot and cooked down. Sometime today I will run them through the Foley food mill and remove the skins........applesauce.
          mmm apple sauce with amputated bees butts
          JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
            mmm apple sauce with amputated bees butts
            Ain't never tasted no bee crack. Done some freaky stuff in my day, butt dammit all to hell.

I would love to see some pics of the apple cider pressing going on. Even the applesauce making. I got two granny smith trees that are just starting to produce. Other than pie I didn't know what to do, but you done gone and inspired a squirrel. No bees allowed in my reindeer games though.

Comment

If all went as I hoped I was gonna take pics and post em. No bees were in the bottom of the press, but they wanted to bee. Since the dozen or so apples I had cut according to what I read about making cider didn't need peeling I figured I would use the food mill to remove the skins. Normally you peel, core and cut them up and cook them down till you get the consistency you want mashing with a tater masher or for really smooth sauce an immersion blender works well. Then just add sugar and cinnamon to taste. Last week I picked a bushel from a neighbors and peeled, cored and cut up, froze on a sheet pan and then using a pie plate as a measuring tool bagged and back to the freezer for later in the winter apple pies.

Comment

Ah !

What you could try. Freeze the whole apples and then press once defrosted.
                The freezing will break down the cell structure of the apple and should make it much easier to press.
                No need to core the apples for pressing. Hell you probably don't need to chop them either.

But I bet you pre-frozen apples will press easier and yield more juice !
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thats a pretty good Idea. Years ago I tried without cutting ....no way. But the freezing would most likely help.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  Ah !

What you could try. Freeze the whole apples and then press once defrosted.
                  The freezing will break down the cell structure of the apple and should make it much easier to press.
                  No need to core the apples for pressing. Hell you probably don't need to chop them either.

But I bet you pre-frozen apples will press easier and yield more juice !

Comment

Working...
                  X