Splitting wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting wood

ok this may seem stupid but how does everyone split their wood...reason i am asking is that i don't have a tree stump and i have a lot of pecan that i would like to split but i really don't know what to use without damaging the ax or hurting myself...any ideas
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

The ground? Lay a hunk of plywood out on the ground and have at it. Keep your legs apart, and your strong hand up on the handle. As you come down, slide the strong hand against the other JUST before impact. A SLIGHT twisting motion will usually help "pop" a seasoned log too.

Wood warms ya 3 times... cutting, splitting and burning :{) Mainly the splitting and burning tho heh!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

and the colder outside it is the better it will split. below zero the best!!! and then you dont need the plywood either cause the ground be harder than the plywood ever be. course you down in them tropical states may have to resort to the plywood.
      Last edited by erain; 04-18-2009, 04:25 PM.
      Charbroil SFB
      GOSM
      MES
      Dutch Ovens and other CI
      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Forget all that. BS. These guys don't have a clue. They've obviously never split a stick of wood in their lives. WHAT A CROCK!!!!
        Use a hydraulic log splitter. Dah.
        Actually, their advice is pretty solid. I'd add one thing though. Hickory is tough no matter how strong you are. It, and most other wood will split easier if it is green. If possible, I split green then season. Oh, and another thing that helps is a 14 y/o son.
        Other than that, a log splitter is the way to go. I am in the process of building one. I have the I-beam portion almost done and it's all done with scrap and stuff I have laying around. I work on it between loads. I have way too many irons in the fire here at home to work on anything frivolous, so that has to be done at work.
        Here are a couple of pics I took with my cell phone a few weeks ago to prove to my son that I'm actually making progress. He hates splitting. Now I have the cylinder mounted, and am working on the trailer, tank, motor mount and hydraulic system.
        I was going to build it for tractor mounting, but I need it to go anywhere I cut wood. And sometimes it's other property. So the plan is take it to the tree and split as I cut and load, leaving the bark mess there, instead of in my yard.

I've had this chunk of I-beam laying around for years. And the wedge and end are cut from a cutting edge from our loader at work.

Don't pay too much attention to my welding. A welder I'm not. I am a bit better than proficient, but definitely not an artist. And anyone that doesn't think good welding is an art form, has not picked up a torch, and I don't care what lie their peddlin'.

The motor I'm going to use is a Tecumseh, off of an old Massey Ferguson garden tractor with very few hours. My pump is a front pump from a front-end loader I replaced years ago, and the tank is actually where everything is mounted. It is made of 12" X 12" X 1/4" angle welded together into a box shape. When I'm done, I'll post some pics of it, and it all make sense. After all said and done, I'll have maybe 100 bucks into it.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          Forget all that. BS. These guys don't have a clue. They've obviously never split a stick of wood in their lives. WHAT A CROCK!!!!
          Damn... I never thought of that.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
            ok this may seem stupid but how does everyone split their wood...reason i am asking is that i don't have a tree stump and i have a lot of pecan that i would like to split but i really don't know what to use without damaging the ax or hurting myself...any ideas

Well if your fond of your sidewalk, driveway or patio blocks don't use them. Go to your local home improvement or nursery and get a solid concrete block about 6" thick and about 1' square. It will hold up to the repeate impacts and be large enough to center any log you run across.

Next, you'll need a good splitting maul. Don't mess with an axe. An axe is too light and you will need wedges. A good splitting maul will be heavy and a wide enough head to just split a log right open without wedges.

As you impact that log, let the handle twist a little. You'll be surprised how much that little twist helps pop that log right open.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
              and the colder outside it is the better it will split. below zero the best!!! and then you dont need the plywood either cause the ground be harder than the plywood ever be. course you down in them tropical states may have to resort to the plywood.
              Colder the better I agree. Keeps ya from working up to much of a sweat and generally helps ya get in the right frame of mind to get it done so you can go back in and be warm.

We do all of our splittin by the end of April. After that it is too hot until November. That is unless Mother Nature comes along with a severe storm or an early snow and we get more fun to trim trees and such.
              sigpic

Comment

You got that right, manual splitting is no fun.

Oh, and another thing that helps is a 14 y/o son.
                No denying or doubt about that.

Other than that, a log splitter is the way to go. I am in the process of building one. Don't pay too much attention to my welding. A welder I'm not. I am a bit better than proficient, but definitely not an artist. And anyone that doesn't think good welding is an art form, has not picked up a torch, and I don't care what lie their peddlin'.
                Gunny I think the welding looks fine. Better than some of mine. Don't matter around here how pretty or ugly of weld as long as it works and don't leave ya stranded or break and clean your clock. My son always tells me I am running to much juice and moving the stick too fast. Well, I guess but I am still alive and haven't been stranded from a broken weld yet. What does he know, he is one of them artist welders, stick/mig/tig and all that good school taught stuff.
                sigpic

Comment

a log splitter is the way to go. I am in the process of building one.
                  gunny, forget the logsplitter.... you wanna really get it done????? make a phone call...

'Hello, is this the Sheriff's Office?'
                  > >
                  > > 'Yes. What can I do for you?'
                  > >
                  > > 'I'm calling to report 'bout my neighbor,
                  > > Virgil Smith(whoever has the wood needin to be split).....He's hidin' marijuana inside his
                  > > firewood! Don't quite know how he gets it inside them
                  > > logs, but he's hidin' it there.'
                  > >
                  > > 'Thank you very much for the call, sir.'
                  > >
                  > > The next day, the Sheriff's Deputies descend on
                  > > Virgil's house. They search the shed where the firewood
                  > > is kept. Using axes, they bust open every piece of wood, but
                  > > find no marijuana. They sneer at Virgil and leave.
                  > >
                  > > Shortly, the phone rings at Virgil's house.
                  > >
                  > > 'Hey, Virgil! This here's Floyd... .Did the Sheriff
                  > > come?'
                  > >
                  > > 'Yeah!'
                  > >
                  > > 'Did they chop your firewood?'
                  > >
                  > > 'Yep!'
                  > >
                  > > 'Happy Birthday, buddy!'

LMAO, this showed up on my email today...
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

^ that's funny... saw that a few years ago... still funny... nice timing erain...

hey gunny, have you thought about an add on that goes 90 degrees to what you already have? splits for at a time that way...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jbchoice1 View Post
                      ^ that's funny... saw that a few years ago... still funny... nice timing erain...

hey gunny, have you thought about an add on that goes 90 degrees to what you already have? splits for at a time that way...
                      I've seen those, and decided not to. It takes lot of force to do that, and I don't think the cylinder I have would handle it. Maybe after I have to change the cylinder.

Tom

Comment

This is how were gonna be splitten wood here this summer!

An yup, that be a wisconsin V4 ta power that thin! This should be the logsplitter from H*** when it's all done!

Otherwise, I use a stump an a splitten maul. Nieghbor uses a couple a railroad ties strapped tagether.
                        sigpic

Comment

Geez Tip, you think you'll "get 'er done?" What are ya planning to split....granite?
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Well the price was good, get some yard work done an back to it, got the engine mounted, fuel tank is built, my boy is healed up enough ta get back ta weldin. Hope we have er finished say mid summer?!
                            sigpic

Comment

i seen a splitter with one a the v4 wiscos on it, and it had the cross blade and would split in four pieces like jb said. that thing didnt come from he!!, it came from a place deeper than that. almost looked like a monster garage creation. lets just say tip.... you will not be underpowered!!!
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X