A doubled up UDS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A doubled up UDS.

Is there a way to build a UDS with two barrels instead of one maybe the top one not as big as the full UDS, but maybe half for some added hight? Weld one right on top of the other and create a cabinet type smoker with doors I guess is what im trying to say. i would think it would work, just take plenty of fabricating.
    -Justin

I guess anything is possible but, I would think it would hard to manage. When I saw your post I started thinking how in my mind (I'm am not a welder or pit designer mind you) I would do this. I thought about building off the side but then it would be too heavy on one side and could tip the whole thing over. If you did it right on top...then it becomes unusable when tending to the meat being cooked vs the meat in the warming area. Now folks have made double decker drum smokers with the bottom drum being the firebox and the top one holding the meat. These are not verticle but horizontal. Some of the real pit builders might like to chime in on this one and give you some of there thoughts.
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Comment

i'd buy a bigger drum or if you get the rotisserie thing for a kettle that can give you alittle lift

Comment

I run a drum with a domed lid, two racks. Thought about this very same thing but decided it would be more hassle than whats its worth. A side door would eliminate the problems of removing multiple racks and such, but then again, you gotta make sure the door seal is air tight. AND, like I ran into the past week with a big smoke I did, and I am assuming the reason you want to go higher is to add more goodies inside, you have to deal with the natural flow of the heat and smoke. I had mine loaded and it definitely made a difference, and not for the better. (Although that might be remedied with one of them stoker units or something similar.) Something to consider anyhow. IMO, the drum smoker is just perfect with one or two racks. Simplistic in design, very efficient for it's size and shape.
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
          I run a drum with a domed lid, two racks. Thought about this very same thing but decided it would be more hassle than whats its worth. A side door would eliminate the problems of removing multiple racks and such, but then again, you gotta make sure the door seal is air tight. AND, like I ran into the past week with a big smoke I did, and I am assuming the reason you want to go higher is to add more goodies inside, you have to deal with the natural flow of the heat and smoke. I had mine loaded and it definitely made a difference, and not for the better. (Although that might be remedied with one of them stoker units or something similar.) Something to consider anyhow. IMO, the drum smoker is just perfect with one or two racks. Simplistic in design, very efficient for it's size and shape.
          What he said.

If you want 3 or 4 racks, I think you're better off to just build 2 UDSs.

I still need to get me a Weber lid for that second one.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Maybe I will stick with just a single UDS. What sizes do bigger drums come in??
            -Justin

Comment

There are 85 and 105 Gallon drum made, but finding a used one, at least around here, is impossible. They make stainless 85 gallon ones but the price

Not to mention, the diameter would dictate that a custom grill be made for it.

Comment

This is a mod I did last year. It is for a Rib-o-Lator rotisserie, but I suppose an extra rack or two in there would work too.

A shot of the innards.

Started with a sacrificial drum and cut it just below the first bulge. Beat the heck out of it with a three pound hammer to make it fit. Works well and folks seem to enjoy it.

Some chicken parts for you too.

I should add that there are two handles on the ring so it is easily lifted off to access whatever may be below. I should also add I have since gotten a really nice large vertical offset and really no longer use either of my two drums. Maybe they should be for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post
                  It is for a Rib-o-Lator rotisserie, but I suppose an extra rack or two in there would work too.

That is cool as chit

Comment

I think I am either going to buy myself two 55 gallon drums and cut one in half and make it an extension sort of thing like the rotisserie. Or I am going to get a hold of an 85 gallon drum..I would rather have the 85 gallon drum if I can find one!
                    -Justin

Comment

I found a supplier of 85 gallon drums in my area!! What are the recommendations for building a UDS out of an 85?
                      -Justin

Comment

Here is a thread I found by Bubba.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...85+gallon+drum

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post
                          This is a mod I did last year. It is for a Rib-o-Lator rotisserie, but I suppose an extra rack or two in there would work too.

A shot of the innards.

Started with a sacrificial drum and cut it just below the first bulge. Beat the heck out of it with a three pound hammer to make it fit. Works well and folks seem to enjoy it.

I should add that there are two handles on the ring so it is easily lifted off to access whatever may be below. I should also add I have since gotten a really nice large vertical offset and really no longer use either of my two drums. Maybe they should be for sale?
                          The Ribolater is cool as shit ,and dont get me wrong cause I love mine but it shoulda been called the chickolater cause you couldnt fit a rack of ribs on one if you tried
                          2-22.5'' weber
                          1-18'' weber
                          1 smokey joe
                          22.5'' wsm
                          24'' smoke vault
                          1-outhouse
                          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                            The Ribolater is cool as shit ,and dont get me wrong cause I love mine but it shoulda been called the chickolater cause you couldnt fit a rack of ribs on one if you tried
                            I still dont get that thing, it doesnt spin the food so whats the point, I dont see what it would do just moving the food like it does.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys!! I found two 55s so im going to make me a 1 and a half UDS haha!
                              -Justin

Comment

Working...
                              X