Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Forge Dually Charcoal Grill

Hi,

I just got one of these from Lowe's and I really like the design. It seems to be built good. I put wood stove gasket around the front of the lid and the big gap in the back. I tried it out this weekend and I could not keep the temp below 500.

I am new at smoking and hope someone can help me, please!!

Here is a pic of the grill, maybe someone on here has one. Thanks for the help!!

I hope this is ok to post a link...
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_177898-95393...7C1&facetInfo=
    Attached Files
    Steve
    ---------------------------------------------

Weber 26.75 One Touch Gold Kettle
    Weber 22.5" Kettle
    Weber 18" Kettle
    UDS
    Weber Gas Grill
    Masterbuilt XL Propane Upright
    sigpic

Welcome to Smoked-Meat Charcoal Man.. I hate to be the barrer of bad news but you have a grill not a set up smoker..

Can you use it as a smoker?? Yes in some cases.. Aardvark uses his grill I believe as a smoker.. Your first challenge is going to be keeping a small bed of coals on one end to keep the temps low or build two small beds on each end and cook indirect.. Place you meat in the middle..

If your l;looking to truly have a smoker and don't want to drop allot of coin, Look into building a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker)
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

OK ignore my previous Post ;{)

Yeah Curious A has the Outlaw he smokes on, and many smoke on a Weber indirect...

But it's still a grill...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Calling Curious Aardvark..

You assistance is required.. !!!!
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Lemme know when you wanna build a UDS ;-) We can throw ya one together in less than 1/2 day for way less than $100!!

I've used my gasser to "smoke" stuff, but it's still not as good as what comes off the drum :-)
          ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

[QUOTE=ptt49er;268299]Lemme know when you wanna build a UDS ;-) We can throw ya one together in less than 1/2 day for way less than $100!!

I've used my gasser to "smoke" stuff, but it's still not as good as what comes off the drum :-)[/QUOTE

I would really appreciate that. If you are serious, maybe we can get together and see what all I need to get together.
            Steve

Weber 22.5" Kettle
            Weber 18" Kettle
            UDS
            Weber Gas Grill
            sigpic

Comment

I'm always up for a reason to play in the shop!! Maybe we can get bigun over and show ya how to use a drum while we build yours! It's been a while since I smoked a fatty and ABT's are ALWAYS enjoyed!
              ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

give me a picture of the inside.

(looks at lowes pic) Ah think I've seen similiar in costco. wasn't overly convinced by the durability of the winding mechanism - but otherwise a nce looking grill.

Shouldn't be a problem using that as a smoker.

First thing you need is to get yourself a small charcoal basket.
                I use a steel mesh cutlery tray. (pic somewhere) Ah here ya go !

The outlaw is a bit bigger than yours but that's the beauty of a cutlery tray. It gives you definable and repeatable levels of charcoal usage.
                The 4 compartments take the guess work out of cooking temps.

So once you've got one of those. You'll be mainly cooking on the left side of the grill and the cooling rack.
                You can get yourself a heat deflector (I use a big old roasting pan that was going to be thrown out. That sit above the charcoal and lets you use the right side cooling rack for chicken, abts sausages etc. You can also use the right side for grilling at the same time you're smoking on the left.

And charcoal wise you'll use hardly any.

But the most important and first thing you need to do is go wander round your local hardware/household wares stores and find yourself a ss cutlery tray :-)

Wind the right hand charcoal tray as low as it will go. The more distance between the food and the coals - the more you smoke and the less you grill :-)
                The meat on the left hand cooling rack is actually further away from the coals than anything ever is in a uds.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

curious aardvark

Here is the inside of the grill. If you need more pics just let me know and a big thanks for your help!!
                  Attached Files
                  Steve

Weber 22.5" Kettle
                  Weber 18" Kettle
                  UDS
                  Weber Gas Grill
                  sigpic

Comment

Something wrong with those pic, that thing is WAY toooo clean!

Simple you put the small coal fire on one end, the end away from the "smokestack". You close the air intake on the smokestack end. You use the air vent on the fire end to control the temp, start mostly closed. More open higher temp, more closed lower temp. You put your food on the smokestack end, indirect - not directly over the coals. Start small, 1/4 chimney of lit coal put in the middle of two small piles of of coal. You'll have to play with the amounts. But that should get you off the ground.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                      Something wrong with those pic, that thing is WAY toooo clean!

Simple you put the small coal fire on one end, the end away from the "smokestack". You close the air intake on the smokestack end. You use the air vent on the fire end to control the temp, start mostly closed. More open higher temp, more closed lower temp. You put your food on the smokestack end, indirect - not directly over the coals. Start small, 1/4 chimney of lit coal put in the middle of two small piles of of coal. You'll have to play with the amounts. But that should get you off the ground.
                      I just got it and only used it one time, lol
                      But with the temps going to 500 it was hard to keep the chicken from drying out! I will try what you said and Thanks for the advice!! Have a great day!!
                      Steve

Weber 22.5" Kettle
                      Weber 18" Kettle
                      UDS
                      Weber Gas Grill
                      sigpic

Comment

yeah looking at the ash left you had about 4x more charcoal tha you need for smoking.

As to adjusting the heat with the chimney - might work - never tried it. That's the beauty of a compartmentalised cahrcoal basket. you know what temp you'll get and how much charcoal to use :-)

But yep - should be a good grill for smoking, plenty room to. You'll be surprised at just how much you can get in that.

So once you've got the charcoal basket, you'll need some chunks of wood.
                        I just use about 3 inch chunks cut from smallish branches. you just stick the chunk on the coals and viola - you're smoking :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

UDS are great ! Get you one ! And you are going to get help and that is a BIG DEAL.

Comment

My offer stands...just let me know when you wanna get started and we'll see what we can do!
                            ~Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              yeah looking at the ash left you had about 4x more charcoal tha you need for smoking.

As to adjusting the heat with the chimney - might work - never tried it. That's the beauty of a compartmentalised cahrcoal basket. you know what temp you'll get and how much charcoal to use :-)

But yep - should be a good grill for smoking, plenty room to. You'll be surprised at just how much you can get in that.

So once you've got the charcoal basket, you'll need some chunks of wood.
                              I just use about 3 inch chunks cut from smallish branches. you just stick the chunk on the coals and viola - you're smoking :-)
                              Thanks, It was my first attempt at smoking with that grill. I had always used a round Brinkman smoker and never had a problem with temps. Everything always turned out good! BTW, I got me a basket ordered!

Thanks again curious aardvark, good advice
                              Steve

Weber 22.5" Kettle
                              Weber 18" Kettle
                              UDS
                              Weber Gas Grill
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...