Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoky Canned Big Game Chunks

Smoky Canned Big Game Chunks

This recipe is adapted from The Hunting and Fishing Library, with some notes regarding smoking etc. Step-by-step photos are from The Hunting and Fishing Library's Dressing and Cooking Wild Game volume.

Use this meat to make quick stews, or shred and add to barbecue sauce for unusual sloppy joes.
    For 3 pounds boneless big game steaks or other large cuts, 3/4 to 1-inch thick:

Marinade (for each three pounds of meat):

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. black pepper
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

*Optional - if you do not have a smoker, but still want your meat to have a smoked flavor, add liquid smoke to taste. A suggested place to start is 1 tablespoon.

Canning Broth (for each three pounds of meat):

1 cup venison stock or beef broth
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 tsp. sugar

Place meat in a single layer in a large, glass baking dish. In food processor or blender, combine all marinade ingredients; process until smooth. Pour half the marinade over meat. Turn meat over and cover with remaining marinade. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of meat. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Note: If you do not have a smoker or prefer meat to be unsmoked, skip the smoking procedure and proceed to the canning procedure.

Smoking:

Prepare hot smoker and soak your favorite wood chips. Hickory, mesquite, cherry, alder, apple or maple are typically used. Fill water pan of smoker about 2/3 full with water.

Drain meat, reserving marinade. Place meat on top and bottom racks of hot smoker. Top meat with thinly-sliced onion, if desired. Smoke meat until meat is medium doneness, usually 2 to 3 hours, basting meat once with marinade and reversing position of the racks. Remove meat from smoker; cool slightly.

Canning:

In medium saucepan, combine all canning broth ingredients. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat; set aside. Cut meat into 1 to 1-1/2-inch chunks.

Wash pint jars, bands and lids in hot, soapy water. Rinse well. Place jars and bands in sink filled with hot, clear water. Place lids in saucepan. Cover with hot water. Heat to barely simmering over low heat.

Cut meat into 1 to 1-1/2-inch chunks. If you skipped the smoking procedure, cook the meat to rare; pack while still hot. Smoked chunks can be packed warm into jars. Whether smoked or unsmoked, leave a one-inch space at top.

Add boiling broth, leaving 1-inch space at top. Wipe rims with clean cloth.

Place warm lids and bands on jars. Tighten firmly, but lightly. Place sealed jars on trivet in pressure cooker. Follow pressure cooker manufacturer’s directions for number of jars and amount of water to add to cooker. Heat until 10 pounds of pressure is reached, then begin timing. Process for 1-1/4 hours (75 minutes) at 10 pounds pressure.

Allow pressure to drop naturally. When pressure has dropped completely, remove jars with tongs. Place in a draft-free place for 12 hours. Check seals according to lid manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate any jars that have not sealed properly; use within 3 days. Store sealed jars in a dark, cool place; use within one year.
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 11-06-2015, 10:27 AM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

I did try this over the weekend and things seemed to go pretty well.

This was surprisingly easy and is definitely worth a try, if anyone is looking to clean out their freezers and/or have some canned meat that will come in handy for soups, stews, sandwiches and other dishes!
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 11-06-2015, 10:27 AM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Nice work! .... Love that canned meat stuff..... If you are having troubles lifting the jars with the tongs (LIKE I DID ) they make special jar lifting tongs that sure made my canning life easier & cost about $4. Just a consideration.

The marinade & broth ingredients both sound really good to me
      sigpic

Comment

yessir - i've got a set of those canning tongs, and they did the trick quite well!
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Bringing this back up to the top....it's that time of year ~

This is very highly recommended; the canned meat (as well as the broth) tasted absolutely awesome ~ very good stuff!

As you can see, the instructions also include liquid smoke for the ones who don't know better ~ simply ignore that part and give these a smoke before canning!
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

so is there any benefit of this method over just vacpacking the stuff and freezing ?

And has anyone ever tried it with pheasant. We're looking at a minimum of 2 pheasants a week for the next few months, and potentially 4-6 depending on how often dream and my dad go beating.

Some times I skin them, sometimes I just breast and leg them. Which is quick and clean as you don't have to pluck,skin or gut them :-)

At some point I'm hoping for some more wild ducks and I'll always take as many canada geese as I can get - but at the moment, it seems to be wall to wall pheasants lol
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

so is there any benefit of this method over just vacpacking the stuff and freezing ?
              Well, there is if the power goes out...

Seriously, I am guessing that this is similar to (but not quite the same as) making potted meat. Canning food to lay it over for the winter is something that has been done quite a bit on this side for the last hundred years or longer, especially in rural areas that were the last to have reliable refrigeration. Canning meat is just one other way to lay it over, along with curing, smoking and charcuterie, of course.

When I tried this, I noticed that it gave the meat a good shot of flavor and a unique, tender-yet-firm texture, making it ideal for adding to soups or stews. If you have something like "Dinty Moore Beef Stew," it was very much like that, but better. It was also tender enough - similar to pulled pork - that it could be mixed with other ingredients as a sandwich spread.

I haven't tried it, but my strong suspicion is that this would work very well with pheasant - and duck, too.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Looks really good Tas, thanks for bumping this! I could imagine this being a good snack when you're on the go, similar to jerky. Only messier! lol.

I have some beef roasts in the deep freezer that've been there a while. Maybe I should do a couple up in cans and recover some of that space.
                Last edited by PitRow; 11-06-2015, 04:16 PM.
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Agreed, Mike - I'm thinking that a person could open the jar, mash and stir the stuff around with a fork, spread it on crackers, and really eat like a king.
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                    Well, there is if the power goes out...
                    not to mention the no defrosting, the quick dump in a pan and heat up and pour over taters, rice, or what have you. The portability of just having a jar handy or to take someplace to make up versus frozen and keeping it cold or in a cooler etc. Lots of reasons why canned meat sometimes is much more handy than frozen.
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Hey Tas, long time listener, first time caller What, you guys thought I forgot about this place

Anyhow, managed to arrow a very large buck this year, but the meat has been processed and is now frozen. Do you think defrosting it and canning it like you posted here make for a "mushy" meat as opposed to starting out with fresh?
                      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                        Hey Tas, long time listener, first time caller What, you guys thought I forgot about this place

Anyhow, managed to arrow a very large buck this year, but the meat has been processed and is now frozen. Do you think defrosting it and canning it like you posted here make for a "mushy" meat as opposed to starting out with fresh?
                        Good to "see" you again, Todd - it's been far too long!

I think that using previously-frozen deer should work just fine. That's how I did mine, and I really enjoyed it.
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I’d like to try this some time. Have to invest a little in the canner, but it would be cool to have my own style/flavored canned salmon and meats!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hmmmm...Haven't used me pressure canner in years........
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Morning Ron......
                              I know this recipe calls for a pressure caner. Can a regular canning pot be used or does it have to be a pressure rig?
                              Thanks,
                              Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X