Help with Food Amount for 30 Adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Food Amount for 30 Adults

Never smoked for a big crowd before. I have my daughter's Baptism coming up, and am going to do pulled chicken and ribs. We'll have about 30 adults at the dinner afterward. I was thinking 3 5-7 lb chickens and 10 racks of baby back ribs. Will smoke them the day before and reheat at 200 in the oven before we head to dinner. Anyone have any suggestions as to how much food I should cook. Is this enough, or is this too much? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

here is a great excel spread sheet in this tread from davidmcg

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...el+spreadsheet

good luck
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
      here is a great excel spread sheet in this tread from davidmcg

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...el+spreadsheet

good luck
      Thanks!
      Don

Humphrey's Pint
      Anova One Sous Vide
      AMPS
      Purple Thermapen
      Maverick ET-733
      DigIQ DX2
      Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

first off - what sides are you going to have ?

Second - it never hurts to cook extra. bbq never goes to waste and it saves cooking anything the next day
        also bear in mind that chickens don't yield up that much meat.
        So 4-5 chickens. And 15 racks of ribs would be more what I would aim at.

I've done a few cooks for 30 or so - I generally go for 4 mains and 2-3 sides plus garlic bread. Pulled pork is always good for preparing ahead as well.

Sausages are always a good addition as well :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Good question!
          Like others have asked/commented - if you have a few good sides, your meat consumption will go way down.

If I had to do it, I would up the chickens to 5 or 6, and go with your 10 racks of ribs. I would not pull the birds, I would spatchcock and make 8 pieces outta one bird - Leg, Thigh, bottom breast, top breast with wing (x2 = 8). That would give your guests a lot to choose from, and not have them grab a whole breast and toss it because they can't eat it along with the 1/2 dozen ribs they also can't eat! They can always grab more pieces.

Don't know what size your BB's are, but the three three rack packs from Sam's are what I use. My rib love'n mongrels (5 of us) have a hard time putting away more than a rack/rack and a half at a time - that's with maybe a salad and bread.

One thing you can do to be safe, is toss in a shoulder and PP. If they clean ya out - tell them to get their glutton assess outta your house!

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. My wife's family loves side dishes, so everyone wants to bring one. So, mac and cheese, cheesy potatoes, baked beans, napa salad, corn bread... it'll all be there. A lot of her family are picky eaters, which is why i was gonna pull the birds for sandwiches. I will probably do 5 birds and 10 racks of ribs and will let you all know how it goes! Thanks for all the advice!
            Don

Humphrey's Pint
            Anova One Sous Vide
            AMPS
            Purple Thermapen
            Maverick ET-733
            DigIQ DX2
            Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X