Brisket Bones? W/Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket Bones? W/Pics

I got these at Walmart, 1.28 per pound. Still not sure what they are though. I have thought about trying these for some time.

In the package.

The back side.

Top side.

Not sure what to do with them. The butcher at Sam's told me they are from the back loin ribs, and most info I found say they are from the spares when trimming for St. Louies.

Any body tried these?

Thanks,
    Ron
    sigpic

I thought we explored this and answered it in another thread you started on the subject.
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...=Brisket+Bones
    You can tell by looking at them they are trimmings from St. Louis style ribs. That's what my trimmings look like anyway. Let us know how they turn out.

Tom

Comment

Well we did Tom. But then tonight the butcher at Sam's confused the issue by telling me they were from the loin when doing back ribs. I just thought the pics would help. He even said to cook like backs and not spares, sorry for asking again. I'll just do a 2- 2- 1 method. I have only trimed spares once or twice, always did Baby Backs in the restaurant.
      Last edited by ronp; 04-18-2009, 08:49 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

they are indeed the drop off from producing st louis style(416A) from spare ribs(416). meat cut 416B is the result which are called "brisket bones". this item consists of the sternum, costal cartilidges, and attached lean from item 416 (spareribs), which was excluded when producing 416A(st louis style). the pictures are almost identical to the ones you posted.

this info from a book i have put out by North American Meat Processors Assc.
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Erain. I thought so too, but that damn butcher at Sam's, I guess he doesn't know what he is talking about. Still a good deal I think, seems like a lot of meat for 1.28 a pound.

I will be putting them on soon.

Thanks, man.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ronp100343 View Post
            Well we did Tom. But then tonight the butcher at Sam's confused the issue by telling me they were from the loin when doing back ribs. I just thought the pics would help. He even said to cook like backs and not spares, sorry for asking again. I'll just do a 2- 2- 1 method. I have only trimed spares once or twice, always did Baby Backs in the restaurant.
            Did I come off as irritated about it. If so, I'm sorry.
            I was just as confused, that's why I pointed out the thread. Hey maybe you're old and forgetful. I don't know. Now I'm just poking fun.
            Anyway, I don't think I'd take ANYthing the Sam's Club or Walmart butcher says as gospel. Because they really aren't butchers. They open cases and stock refrigerator units and wear the title "Butcher." A real butcher would be disgusted.
            They used to have real butchers, but then they wanted to go union, and in typical Walmart fashion, fired the lot of them.
            Anyway, good luck with them and keep us informed.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              Did I come off as irritated about it. If so, I'm sorry.
              I was just as confused, that's why I pointed out the thread. Hey maybe you're old and forgetful. I don't know. Now I'm just poking fun.
              Anyway, I don't think I'd take ANYthing the Sam's Club or Walmart butcher says as gospel. Because they really aren't butchers. They open cases and stock refrigerator units and wear the title "Butcher." A real butcher would be disgusted.
              They used to have real butchers, but then they wanted to go union, and in typical Walmart fashion, fired the lot of them.
              Anyway, good luck with them and keep us informed.

No harm Tom. He even went on about how they were trimed in house and how it was done. He has been a butcher forever, but now I question his ability. Hell, I had a butcher friend when I had the restaurant in the 80's that boiled his ribs, go figure.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ronp100343 View Post
                No harm Tom. He even went on about how they were trimed in house and how it was done. He has been a butcher forever, but now I question his ability. Hell, I had a butcher friend when I had the restaurant in the 80's that boiled his ribs, go figure.
                If they were trimmed in house somebody repackeged them in factory cryo with a different label. LOL

I think your meat man is full of crap!

the only time brisket meat is anywhere close to loin meat is when the piggies are having humpy time!
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Sure your results will produce edible meat. Hows it going Ron??
                  SCOTT

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                    the only time brisket meat is anywhere close to loin meat is when the piggies are having humpy time!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                      Damn that's funny!
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                      X