Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepper experts...is this a candidate for a chipotle

Hey everyone,

I dismantled the garden, we had a hard freeze this week. I had an amazing amount of leftover jalapenos, and some were starting to fade already.

The ones that have started to fade are like this one...are these still candidates for Chipotles...heck they look like this coming outta the smoker anyway.

Alex, Craig, anyone?

BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Your good with all the red ones to make Chipotle.. The wrinkles do not make a difference.. Smoke them up and pop them into a dehydrator.. Grind with a coffee grinder and your good to go..

You can smoke the green ones as well, but I would make Jalapeno Jelly our of them..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I mostly use green ones to make my Chipotles, as that is what I get mostly here. I smoke them for a few hours & then I put 'em on the gas grill on med-low, turning them once or twice, until they become brittle & dry & then bag 'em or grind them.
      MES 30"
      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
      Weber 22" kettle
      E-Z-Que rotisserie
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Big Weber Gasser
      Cracker Smoker
      UDS

Comment

I just picked the rest of mine today. We had a hard frost/freeze as well and alot them got soft. If they ever turned red I would of done some chipotle with the soft ones. They were loaded with green japs and I picked 1/4 bushel of what was left. I tossed the soft green ones.

Comment

the red ones look good to go.........even the wrinkly ones. leave the green ones on the counter and see if they will turn....if so, smoke 'em!
          sigpic
          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Dana if theyre wrinkled from being overripe then they are perfect for smoking...If they are softened from the freeze, Im not so sure about useing them at all...

I only use ripe ones for chipotle...smoke for a couple hours with temps below 160 or so and then dehydrate...Remember youre not cooking them...Youre drying them...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

What they said, Dana.

If you leave them on the counter for a couple of days, the frozen ones should turn to mush, the ripened and wrinkly should feel rubbery/leathery. Toss the mush and smoke the ripe.

I chop off the stem, then split them in half lengthways before the smoke/dehydrate. I don't dig out the seeds. I think they take on the smoke better and definitely dry quicker.

As far as only red ones for chipotle... I suppose the purists of the group have already spoken... but a FEW green ones always get tossed into mine. When they are ground, I'd beg anyone to tell the difference!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                What they said, Dana.

If you leave them on the counter for a couple of days, the frozen ones should turn to mush, the ripened and wrinkly should feel rubbery/leathery. Toss the mush and smoke the ripe.

I chop off the stem, then split them in half lengthways before the smoke/dehydrate. I don't dig out the seeds. I think they take on the smoke better and definitely dry quicker.

As far as only red ones for chipotle... I suppose the purists of the group have already spoken... but a FEW green ones always get tossed into mine. When they are ground, I'd beg anyone to tell the difference!

I agree but the frozen ones will be good smoked & dried, too, if you get them in the smoker right away before they start to decompose. I smoked about 50 of them last year when the freeze hit & they looked sad but you couldn't tell the difference after they were smoked & dried. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying & it worked out fine.
                MES 30"
                A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                Weber 22" kettle
                E-Z-Que rotisserie
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Big Weber Gasser
                Cracker Smoker
                UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
                  I agree but the frozen ones will be good smoked & dried, too, if you get them in the smoker right away before they start to decompose. I smoked about 50 of them last year when the freeze hit & they looked sad but you couldn't tell the difference after they were smoked & dried. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying & it worked out fine.
                  Before they start to decompose...Hmmmm....Just how soon does that occur...

Personally I wouldnt use peppers that maybe even possibly started to decompose...even though the dehydration process will make it nearly impossible for bacteria to grow and thrive...Im not going there...But thats just me...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X