Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Enchilada Ring in the Dutch Oven with Flat Iron Steak Fajitas and I Got Wood!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Enchilada Ring in the Dutch Oven with Flat Iron Steak Fajitas and I Got Wood!

I got this idea from here http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3874 who got it from here http://www.dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com/

But I made mine this way in a 10" shallow DO.

I smoked / grilled some chicken thighs on the Weber kettle and softened some chopped onion in a foil pack. Shredded the chicken, added some taco seasoning, about 1/4 can of tomatoes with green chilis (DRAINED) and the sauteed onion. I took a piece of parchment paper and lined the DO and pressed the paper in to make a "ring" so I would know the DO size. Removed the paper and while the DO was preheating to 375 (7 on bottom, 16 on top) I put together the enchilada ring.

I took a can of crescent rolls and laid them out on the paper making a ring, filled with the chicken enchilada filling and then folded over the crescent rolls. It didn't turn out too pretty because I laid the crescent rolls backwards... but it is was damn tasty. I also grilled a flat iron steak and had some green peppers and onions in foil and heated up some rice and enchilada sauce in cause we wanted that over the ring but I went with a little salsa over the top (not pictured).

We had some improvements made to one of our farm entrances last week and in doing so, the county road department took down a large hickory tree. We got that cut up yesterday and I'm so happy that soon I won’t have to buy any wood! How long should I let it dry?

Thanks for viewing!
    Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

neat Becky... first off another good looking DO creation.
    you are becoming a pro with the cast iron...

as far as the wood, hickory you are lucky. no hickory up here in MN. but ya need to split that wood and then stack it back up. have stack setting so your prevailing winds hit the side of the stack and next year about this time you will have seasoned wood.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Pioneer Becky
      sigpic

Comment

Sister!...That there will eat just fine! I'm gonna hafta get after me some of that!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Becky that is awesome stuff! You our Pioneer girl! I gotta get to the CI cookin more!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Awesome looking dinner.
            Last edited by Blowin Smoke; 11-07-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Neat stuff, Becky. I'd not mind a ring of that for the hockey game tonight!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Very, very nice indeed. You are something else.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

great do dish - again !
                  you know, I can see a book coming out of the food you're cooking out there in the woods :-)

Fas as the wood goes - if it's just for smoke on top of charcoal - seasoning is pointless.
                  Only 'needs' seasoning if you intend to use it as the fuel source or for carpentry.
                  Other wise just start using it.

I pretty much just hot smoke with green wood these days, produces more smoke for longer so you use smaller pieces and it lasts longer.

Haven't noticed any taste difference between green or dry woods.

But splitting and stacking properly will stop it growing mold -which is a good thing
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Even if ya dont split it till its time to burn you will be OK...Wait at least 6 months...

And the food looks awesome as usuall...I would like to eat at yer place
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Awesome job Becky you have this DO gig going on...

Comment

Yum Becky! Love it! Fantastic Job!
                        Don

Humphrey's Pint
                        Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                        Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                        Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                        Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                        Anova One Sous Vide
                        AMPS
                        Purple Thermapen
                        Maverick ET-733
                        DigIQ DX2
                        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

WOW!! Becky!!! you rocked that DO!! I love the idea I think it looks pretty darn good from here, backwards schmackwards!! who knew? AND DAMN you scored on that Hickory... we just dont have trees like that around here :(

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

looks awesome

Comment

NICE work on the DO be carefull on the green hickory can make you ill let it dry at least 3 months or large splits sets in.

Comment

Working...
                              X