When Do You Separate a Packer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Do You Separate a Packer?

I was going to try burnt ends again with the brisket yesterday but when it came time to rest the brisket, I had some other things going on and didn't want to take the time to separate the point.

So I got to wondering what other people do with a packer.
    Do you usually separate before the smoke, after the smoke but before the rest, after the rest, or just leave it whole?

Dave
    Before the smoke.
    7.69%
    After the smoke, but before resting in the cooler.
    15.38%
    After resting in the cooler.
    15.38%
    I don't separate. I just leave it whole
    23.08%
    It depends on my mood.
    38.46%
    Last edited by DDave; 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

i have YET to do burnt ends.......but i have seperated em........and from the hassle of serperating em..........i would do it before hand.........i know my next homemade strami i will seperate......and only do the flat.......save the point for burnt ends.......but its cheaper, of course, to buy a packer.........and seperate.........i saw a flat priced the same as i would pay for a packer, with MUCH more meat in the packer..........

so i really can't vote, as "depends on what i plan on doing with it" was in the poll

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

if i separate it would be after the rest period... sometimes i will slice the flat and pull the point. sometmes...
      Charbroil SFB
      GOSM
      MES
      Dutch Ovens and other CI
      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I voted on depending on my mood. Sometimes I don't separate, just slice or pull it all. If I do separate, I do it before I smoke it. For me, separating is easier when its cold, rather that hot or warm and partially separated from the smoking process. First few times I did it after I smoked it, what was left was a mess. After that I started separating before I smoked it. But overall, I rarely seperate anymore.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
          but i have seperated em........and from the hassle of serperating em..........i would do it before hand
          I think I am heading that direction as well. I separated the last two. (Well, I've only done three. :blush:) And getting them apart wasn't that bad. I just slip the back of a knife in between the point and the flat to get it started and then get my fingers in there(with my big heat resistant BBQ gloves on) and work them apart. But it tends to be a big greasy mess. I have a big cutting board and an even bigger tray that goes under it but I can't seem to separate them without greasing down half the kitchen counter. Seems like it would be easier to just separate before hand.

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
          i really can't vote, as "depends on what i plan on doing with it" was in the poll
          Sounds like it "depends on your mood".

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
            but I can't seem to separate them without greasing down half the kitchen counter. Seems like it would be easier to just separate before hand.
            Yup, my sentiments exactly. Except, you left out the part of my wife expressing her unhappiness of the mess I created and how happy she will be after I CLEAN THE MESS!
            sigpic

Comment

If it is a smallish brisket, sometimes you can separate it after it's done with a slight pull and a twist of the point.
              If it's bigger than 6 or 7 lbs (more than likely), I separate beforehand. It seems to cook faster, which stands to reason. I can also trim away a bit more fat. I prefer to trim fat while raw rather than in it's gelatin state, which is messy and hardly manageable.

Tom

Comment

I always make burnt ends (best part of a brisket IMHO) outta a packer.
                I'll separate the point from the flat after the smoke, wrap & cooler the flat, cube the point, and put the cubes back in the smoker till the fat stops drippin out of em.
                Now I'm gonna have ta do another briskie....the thought of burnt ends is makin me hungry, lol.

Burnt ends
                Last edited by grothe; 04-20-2009, 09:45 AM. Reason: no pics....didn't happen!
                Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

tends to be a big greasy mess. I have a big cutting board and an even bigger tray that goes under it but I can't seem to separate them without greasing down half the kitchen counter. Seems like it would be easier to just separate before hand.
                  Dave
                  freezer paper is your friend!!! use it all the time to help make cleanup a breeze, greasy or not. put the shiny side down and when done fold corners in and refold and toss in garbage...
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by grothe View Post
                    I'll separate the point from the flat after the smoke, wrap & cooler the flat,

Burnt ends
                    Those burnt ends look good, Gene.

Does the flat cool much if you unwrap it to separate then wrap it back up and pop it in the cooler? Are you still able to hold it for a couple hours if needed? I am leaning towards separating before the smoke but I am wondering about the temp drop if separating after the smoke but before the rest.

Originally posted by erain View Post
                    freezer paper is your friend!!!
                    That's a good idea! I'll have to remember that.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Does the flat cool much if you unwrap it to separate then wrap it back up and pop it in the cooler? Are you still able to hold it for a couple hours if needed?
                      The flat doesn't cool down very much while separating.....takes less than a minute. The flat stays in the cooler til the ends are done and it's still too hot to hold on to for any amount of time.
                      Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                      http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's a very good article for briskets that might interest some. Brisket Selection & Preparation
                        I thought this bookmark was on a different hard drive, so I looked all day and then I found it on this one. I gotta go back to work.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by grothe View Post

Burnt ends
                          Man, those look AWESOME Gene! mmmm!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I never truely knew what "burnt ends" were so I appreciate the pics, Gene!! Nice job, now I'm off to buy a briskey to try this!

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
                            Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sumosmoke View Post
                              I never truely knew what "burnt ends" were so I appreciate the pics, Gene!! Nice job, now I'm off to buy a briskey to try this!
                              From "The Virtual Weber Bullet" website:

Traditionally, burnt ends sold in restaurants were the dry edges and leftover bits and pieces of the brisket flat after slicing, mixed with barbecue sauce. These morsels were highly prized for their intense, smoky flavor.

Today, famous barbecue joints like Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City can't meet the demand for burnt ends using leftover bits, so they make a facsimile by cubing fully cooked brisket flats, placing the cubes in a pan and smoking them for a couple of hours, then adding sauce and smoking for a couple more hours.

Another approach for making burnt ends is to separate the point section from the flat section after the flat is done, then return the point to the cooker for smoke for an additional 4-6 hours. Chop the point, mix with barbecue sauce, and enjoy!
                              I used to get these at a BBQ joint in Omaha way back when. You had to get there at the right time, since it took several days to get enough for a few orders.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X