Testing out my new AMAZEN Pellet Smoker Tonight - Cheeeeese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing out my new AMAZEN Pellet Smoker Tonight - Cheeeeese

I've had my eyes on this thing for awhile. I've heard great things about it, and my local BBQ shop here in AZ just got a shipment in.

I sent Todd @ Amazen a PM askin him for some tips, and he gave me some times to shoot for for my first smoke.

I ran into Costco and got a block of mild cheddar, then also picked up some mozarrella and extra sharp to add to my test smoke

Like I had read, this thing is well built. Thick

Here's some close-ups if anyone hasn't seen 'em

Thick gauge steel beams across bottom. This could def go in your smoker..not just for cold-smoking

The guys at BBQ Island hooked me up w/ some Hickory Pellets to test it with so I didnt have to buy a 40 lbs bag

Loaded up about half way for this smoke. I had to use 2 lighters, then blow on it since I dont have a torch yet. Got it goin good w/o any accidents

My test subjects

So far so good. I've got it in the bottom of my 30 gal UDS.

Will keep you posted on results!

Thunderdome
    Nice to see you picked yourself up one, good quality product that puts out a steady smoke that is not too strong or mild. Can't wait to hear your thoughts after the cheese is smoked, then frozen for the smoke to meld in the cheese for a few weeks and then tasted!
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

You gonna really love that unit!!! "Good-Old" American quality and ingenuity.
      Worth every penny!

SOB

Comment

I'm sure your goin to like it!! Question for those who have used one - thinking of getting a used gas unit and know they don't put out the smoke I like from charcoal. Would one of these things put out the smoke like using wood chucks in a charcoal cooker?
        www.nopigleftbehind.com
        -----------------------------

Comment

This unit will run fine on sawdust or pellets.

Todd designed this one to burn both pellets and dust. The origional versions were just for dust. The problem is that the pellets burn hotter than the dust version can handle. The extra heat from the pellets caused the fire to "jump rows" thru the perferation and start the next row on fire. As you can see from the pictures he angled the seperator rows here to solve the jumping issue.

Dust vs Pellets. I would recommend using dust for smoking cheese or anything you want to cold smoke. The dust burns at a much lower temperature and does not cause the smoker chamber to heat up nearly as much. The pellets are great for warmer or hot smokes. I have been using both units for hot smokes for a couple of years with great results.

The pellets that Todd sells are 100% the flavor of that wood. What that means is apple is 100% apple. The other folks get some apple and some filler wood for heat. You get a much nicer smoke using his pellets. He now sells them in 40# units as well.
          Here is his site www.amazenproducts.com/

I dont beleive it will work with chunks. If you want to run chunks, I would just get an aluminum pan .

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. I have been using both units for a while.
          Scarbelly

Comment

Glad the guys at BBQ Island took care of you!
            I came across these Weber Starting Cubes at Home Depot, and they really work well for starting the AMNPS. They cost under $4 for (24). You only need 1/4 - 1/2 a cube to start the AMNPS. The burn for about 10 minutes.

I smoke my cheese for about 2 1/2 hours. Some guys like more smoke, but I really like a subtle smoke flavor on my cheese.

ENJOY!

Todd
            - http://www.AMAZENPRODUCTS.COM
            - 40" MES
            - Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Turkey Fryer
            - Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
            - Gander #12 Grinder
            - Cabelas 20# Stuffer
            - Gander Meat Mixer

Comment

i've used those starting cubes for starting lump....good idea for the maze! also mike, shelton and crew are top notch @ BBQ Island.
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

They work great just watch the heat, especially in that Weber. I had an almost "Rich cheese" in my cold smoker with it. It's four foot tall, fire on the bottom, cheese near the top. Be better off with dust if ya got it.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  They work great just watch the heat, especially in that Weber. I had an almost "Rich cheese" in my cold smoker with it. It's four foot tall, fire on the bottom, cheese near the top. Be better off with dust if ya got it.
                  Nice tip Mark, thanks.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Good call mark. These were in my drum so the heat was far

Comment

Yea, the pellet burner does put out a little more heat than the sawdust burner
                      Sometimes a simple heat deflector above the pellet burner pushes the heat to the outside, rather than straight up.

TJ
                      - http://www.AMAZENPRODUCTS.COM
                      - 40" MES
                      - Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Turkey Fryer
                      - Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
                      - Gander #12 Grinder
                      - Cabelas 20# Stuffer
                      - Gander Meat Mixer

Comment

Working...
                      X