Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gave this one a try...Peach Brandy

Hey all,
    I hope this works but don't know if it will lol.
    I was thinking about how to make peach brandy so I went on line and found a recipe for it it called for :
    1 qrt jar with lid
    20 peach pits and skins figured it was a type-o so I used 2 pits and the skins.
    1 cup of sugar ( I used 2 cups)
    2 cups hot water ( I used 4 cups)
    I also added a cin.stick
    4-6 months patence
    Boil the water and sugar into a medium syrup ( I did it untill it was a little thicker then water when dumped from a laddle.) Pour into qrt jar 1 inch from top.
    seal and store in cool place for 4-6 months. so we'll see in 4 months if it's brandy or very old peach flavored sugar water.
    heres a pic
    Thanks for looking
    drewan
    Attached Files
    Andy
    sigpic

Eh, don't want to burst your bubble, but I've made it before. The recipe I used required 3 quarts of peach skin and pits. I dunno that you have enough peach in there. Let us know how it turns out, but quite possibly not enough to ferment, or ferment well anyway. I don't think the 20 was a type-o at all.
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Unless you're planning on distilling it somehow wouldn't that be closer to wine than brandy?

sent from my p.o.s. phone!
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
        Eh, don't want to burst your bubble, but I've made it before. The recipe I used required 3 quarts of peach skin and pits. I dunno that you have enough peach in there. Let us know how it turns out, but quite possibly not enough to ferment, or ferment well anyway. I don't think the 20 was a type-o at all.
        just thought I'd give it a try.
        Andy
        sigpic

Comment

Re:

Give it a try, good for you drewan.

Just reading through your ingredients list, it isn't a real expensive bunch of stuff it if doesn't turn out well. But it's doing things like this where you'll learn. Remember, keep notes on a note pad you keep near by.

You can make a still out of an old crock pot if you want to distill your finished product from a wine to a brandy too. Not legal in the states but don't tell anyone if you decide to do it.

As for the skins, certain fruits have natural agents in them that help with the breaking down of the fruit. Grapes as an example have this frosty looking coating on their skins which is their natural yeast. Some of the old wine makers never used yeast at all, but relied on that natural coating to produce the wine. Granted they made a few gallons of vinegar along the way but the vinegar is usable around the kitchen and good for you too. LOL

I dug out some of my library of brewing books and found a recipe for Peach
          Cordial from "Kitchen Cordials", by Nancy Crosby and Sue Kenny. (this is about using small bottles of extracts by Noriot with Vodka etc or fruit to make liquors) Look for these on the supply sites.

Peach

9 small peaches (no pits)
          1 1/2 C Sugar
          1/2 C honey
          3C 80 Proof vodka

Peel and cut peaches into small pieces and place in a jar to marinate in
          Vodka for 3 weeks. Shake every other day and allow one week for this.
          Then strain liquid from fruit, add honey and sugar to liquor and stir well.
          Allow this to sit until clear. Leave to sit until clear. Serve and enjoy.

There are several ways of doing these things. Buying Vodka in bulk containers at big discount places will allow you to try some of these ways of making home made beverages to share with family and friends. As your skills improve with brewing you may abandon these ez methods then. But it's nice to have some successes when you first start out.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Man, I would love to try some peach brandy. Good luck!

Comment

I was good till I saw the 4-6 months patience.
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                Give it a try, good for you drewan.

Just reading through your ingredients list, it isn't a real expensive bunch of stuff it if doesn't turn out well. But it's doing things like this where you'll learn. Remember, keep notes on a note pad you keep near by.

You can make a still out of an old crock pot if you want to distill your finished product from a wine to a brandy too. Not legal in the states but don't tell anyone if you decide to do it.

As for the skins, certain fruits have natural agents in them that help with the breaking down of the fruit. Grapes as an example have this frosty looking coating on their skins which is their natural yeast. Some of the old wine makers never used yeast at all, but relied on that natural coating to produce the wine. Granted they made a few gallons of vinegar along the way but the vinegar is usable around the kitchen and good for you too. LOL

I dug out some of my library of brewing books and found a recipe for Peach
                Cordial from "Kitchen Cordials", by Nancy Crosby and Sue Kenny. (this is about using small bottles of extracts by Noriot with Vodka etc or fruit to make liquors) Look for these on the supply sites.

Peach

9 small peaches (no pits)
                1 1/2 C Sugar
                1/2 C honey
                3C 80 Proof vodka

Peel and cut peaches into small pieces and place in a jar to marinate in
                Vodka for 3 weeks. Shake every other day and allow one week for this.
                Then strain liquid from fruit, add honey and sugar to liquor and stir well.
                Allow this to sit until clear. Leave to sit until clear. Serve and enjoy.

There are several ways of doing these things. Buying Vodka in bulk containers at big discount places will allow you to try some of these ways of making home made beverages to share with family and friends. As your skills improve with brewing you may abandon these ez methods then. But it's nice to have some successes when you first start out.
                Thanks eDJ live and learn I'm gonna give this one a try also.
                Thanks again
                drewan
                Last edited by drewan; 11-10-2011, 06:54 PM.
                Andy
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                  I was good till I saw the 4-6 months patience.
                  Andy
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                    Man, I would love to try some peach brandy. Good luck!
                    Thank you Squirrel I hope it turns out but probably not might turn into old flavored water.
                    Andy
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                      Unless you're planning on distilling it somehow wouldn't that be closer to wine than brandy?

sent from my p.o.s. phone!
                      but it's turnin a purty pink color though lol
                      Andy
                      sigpic

Comment

You didnt knick yourself skinnin them peaches did ya?

Originally posted by drewan View Post
                        but it's turnin a purty pink color though lol

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                          You didnt knick yourself skinnin them peaches did ya?
                          still have all me finners 1,2,3,... yup all 11 are still there
                          Andy
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewan View Post
                            still have all me finners 1,2,3,... yup all 11 are still there
                            Hey, you told me you had 12!???
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              Hey, you told me you had 12!???
                              Chit I gotta go look in the jar .
                              Andy
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X