chuckie needs a drink and royal oak lump is junk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chuckie needs a drink and royal oak lump is junk

so i tried my first chuck steak used richs' rub smoked it with some oak chips (i hate chips the smoke is not consistant) i used a cast iron chip box the chiuck had great flavor i totally understand why so many of you guys rave about them BUT this one was dry it would not pull (196 internal pluss a rest of 20 min) so i chopped it made some black jack sauce and and ate sandwiches .
    what i will do different next time: use a rost instead of steak use bricks for heat and wood for thin blue .
    so what is so bad about RO: 50% of the bag was small (most smaller than a bricket) 10% was dust there were 2 pieces of 1 1/2 x 3/4 furring strips
    with such a high % of small stuff it was chocking itself out in the chimney and then burning way hot for maby 20 min and then temp would crash i fought with the temps the whole smoke (i think this is part of the reason it was dry)the cow boy lump was far superior
    by the way richs' rub was good
    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Unusual for RO lump to be like that. Sometimes you have to check the condition of the bags...if they are "beat up" the charcoal may be too- from being on the bottom of a shipping pallet, or poor handling. I'd have to believe those "firring strips" were just cut hunks of hardwood- fine for making charcoal. I also hear you have to check the country of origin from RO- Americam made seems to be superior according to folks who have tried both. I have only seen American- so I don't know.

Glad you liked the rub!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I wish I had read this before the weekend Preacher.
      I went out and got 2 large bags and dicovered the same results.

What garbage eh????
      Chargriller Pro w. sfb
      Ducane 4100 propane grill
      Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

I have had good luck with RO. I think the problem with small pieces is from bags that were mishandled, dropped, etc during shipping. Don't give up on it yet.
        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

this was a freshly opened pallet at wal mart the bag was clean and nice i might give it one more shot but if i get the same results no more
          Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Good luck if you try it again, I hope you get better results. If not, briquettes will still get the job done.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

i agree with most here i never have had a problem with royal oak lump and thats all i have been using for the past few years.i think its worth another try or if you can get the kingsford competition in your area i have also been using that as of late with pretty good results it just costs so much down here.on the other hand the one time i used cowboy i was really disappointed with what i got .pieces of plywood in bag as well as some stuff i couldnt even identify.dont give up on it just yet and look for the ro from usa .
              sigpic
              GO GATORS.
              Raymond Cato
              MOJO SMOKEHOUSE BBQ TEAM.
              125 Gallon Stickburner yet to be named
              BBQ GRILLWARE STAINLESS CHARCOAL
              2 ecbs
              bbq pro offset
              18.5"WSM
              22" WSM
              22" WEBER OTS
              smoked meat member #57

Comment

Maybe Walmart had something to do with the bad lump. When you buy Walmart products, just because it's name brand, doesn't necessarily mean it's name brand quality.

The Ozarks region of MO and AR is kind of the heart of charcoal manufacturing. I've hauled a heck of a lot of it. I've seen this stuff packaged and it amazes me every time someone talks about how much better this charcoal is over that charcoal. Folks, this stuff comes from the same place. Granted, better quality stuff goes into name brand bags, but sometimes it doesn't. And I know that Walmart gets crap in pretty bags. Back when I drove OTR I once hauled a full 53 foot trailer load of briquettes from a manufacturer in AR, for a 7 drop run to Walmart stores in MO, IL, and IN. I got the opportunity to watch them package this stuff. It came down the same chute, but into different bags. Sam's Club, Great Value, and RO, were the names on the bags. I also hauled a full load from the same place and it was all packaged as "Always Save." I delivered it to a grocery wholesaler in NE. Guess what? Came from the same chute to a different colored bag and sewn on the same machine as the better stuff I hauled.
                Del Monte, Libby's, Campbell's, General Mills, etc. all do the same thing.
                You want good lump? Make your own.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  You want good lump? Make your own.
                  And it's not that hard, nor costly. Messy an' smoky- yes.

Basically, you cook the wood in a closed vessel, limiting air from getting to it.

I'd be happy to discuss this if anyone is interested, or sounds like Tom (Gunny) will too.

Might not be a bad idea Gunny... start a thread in the - hmm charcoal burner? forum?
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have a BGE and I had used their lump, which is expensive and made by RO.

Lump is hard to find out here in the winter. I went to Walmart, fisrt time is years, to see if I could find some RO. I did and walked out with 4 bags, much cheaper price and I was thrilled with it. I thought it was better than the BGE lump and there is no comparison to Cowboy. I have only tried 1 bag of cowboy and it was garbage.

For the price and quality, RO is all I buy at this point.
                    Pete
                    Large BGE
                    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                    X